Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: EP35-DS3 Issues and Beta Bios Fix.

Default EP35-DS3 Issues and Beta Bios Fix.

Hi ppls,

I recently purchased:

Gigabyte EP35-DS3 rev 2.1 (f2 bios)
    E2180 (200x10)
    A-Data DDR-800 1.8v (memtests fine)
    Gigabyte 512mb 8600GT
    WD 640gb 2 platter drive

I was very impressed with how everything just worked the system was rock solid. Stock clock it passed Prime and memtest over a few nights of testing.

First up I pushed the clock to 266x10 for 2.6ghz. Prime perfectly stable as is memtest. Bumped cpu volts up slightly with all others at standard and went for 333x9 for 3ghz. Again rock solid passing prime and memtest.

Now for the problems..

Warm Boot = overclock failure reverting to stock fsb
    Cold boot = overclock failure reverting to stock fsb
    Restart/Reboot = power off and then overclock failure reverting to stock fsb
    Entering the bios and then exiting without changing or saving = power off and then overclock failure reverting to stock fsb
    Entering the bios and making changes then saving = power off and then overclock failure reverting to stock fsb

The only way I found I could get the board to boot with overclocked settings was to flick the off switch on the PSU instantly after it powered down. The system would then go to power up; drain the left over power; I would then flick the on switch for the psu and power up (warm boot) the system.

I have since updated to the latest F3d bios with an awesome improvement.

Out of the above ALL have now been resolved apart from:

Cold boot = overclock failure reverting to stock fsb

So for now.. with my board at least fingers crossed GB sort the cold boot issue as there was a very noticeable improvement with the latest bios.

For the record ALL USB devices have been disconnected.
    I've switched to PS2 keyboard and mice.
    I've kept the bios settings pretty much default with a small increase in cpu volts, locked the pcie down to 100mhz and ram timings at auto of which are selecting the correct timings.
    So the old K.I.S.S methodology.

I'm happy to beta test the new bios's and report my findings.
    Hopefully some of the Gigabyte peoples read this forum and take on board what I am experiencing.
    Last edited by Cubes; 05-07-2008 at 08:43 PM.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: EP35-DS3 Issues and Beta Bios Fix.

Just keep in mind a reboot cycle or reboot to default means incorrect settings, so likely you need more voltage to something still or to loosen some memory timings a little.

As soon as I alter the fsb she fails to cold boot 90% of the time.
    Its 24x7 stable prime 95 and memtest; it never locks or has issues. Only occasionally on boot it simply fails to boot and reverts to defaults.

I have left all values as default. mem is not overclocked and is as loose as it can get.

I've had the ram and cpu in a mates asus board with absolutely no problems. Its just this gigabyte board. :S

mem is at 800ddr even 667ddr it still does it so definitely not a ram issue.

I've tried bumping up voltages to no avail.

As soon as I push 1mhz past the default fsb it does it. :(

Do you have USB keyboard and Mouse disabled in the BIOS? And Legacy USB storage Detect? If not try with those disabled

Do you have a good power supply? And are you using the 4 pin or 8 pin plug, use 8 pin if you have that on your power supply

Here, you said before you did 333, try this again for 333 >>>>

First, Be sure EIST, C1E, TM2, And C.I.A.2 are disabled

Robust Graphics Booster___________ [Auto]
    CPU Clock Ratio ____________ [9]
    CPU Host Clock Control_ [Enabled]
    CPU Host Frequency (MHz)__________ [333]
    PCI Express Frequency (Mhz)_______ [100]
    C.I.A. 2__________________________ [Disabled]
    System Memory Multiplier (SPD)____ [2.40]
    DRAM Timing Selectable_______ SPD __ [Manual]

If you have High speed Memory DDL option set to 1

CAS Latency Time________________ ?
    Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay_________ ?
    Dram RAS# Precharge Delay_______?
    Precharge Delay (tRAS)__________ ?

Subtimings, start with the higher settings, you can lower later ONE AT A TIME and test

ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)_________ 3-4
    Rank Write to READ Delay________ 9-11
    Write to Precharge Delay_________ 3-5
    Refresh to ACT Delay______________ 42
    Read to Precharge Delay__________ 3-6
    Static tRead Value_______________ 7-10
    Static tRead Phase Adjust________ 1-31 <<< Leave on Auto or Zero Or 1-31

System Voltage Control____ [Manual]
    DDR2 OverVoltage Control__ [+0.100V] = 1.9V - Please go here, and pick out your ram for me, you never said how many GB and what number of sticks (Like 2x1gb) you have and I would like to know the model so I can tell you the proper voltage to use >>>
    Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!

Or you can run CPU-z and in the SPD tab tell me the part number >>>
    CPUID

PCI-E OverVoltage Control_ [+0.1V] <<< For stability
    FSB OverVoltage Control___ [+0.1V - Maybe 1.5 since you are pushing the FSB pretty high over stock] <<< For stability
    (G)MCH OverVoltage Control [+0.1V] <<< For stability
    CPU Voltage Control_______ [1.45-1.50] <<< I am not sure the voltage, only you can know or guess this. But 1.45 or more would likely be needed I would think

I've moved the USB keyboard and mouse over to the PS2 without success.

All USB devices have been removed (printer and corsair yoager USB drive)
    LEgacy USB storage detect has been disabled.

I have recently bought a new 500w Antec PSU.

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    Here, you said before you did 333, try this again for 333 >>>>

First, Be sure EIST, C1E, TM2, And C.I.A.2 are disabled

Robust Graphics Booster___________ [Auto]
    CPU Clock Ratio ____________ [9]
    CPU Host Clock Control_ [Enabled]
    CPU Host Frequency (MHz)__________ [333]
    PCI Express Frequency (Mhz)_______ [100]
    C.I.A. 2__________________________ [Disabled]
    System Memory Multiplier (SPD)____ [2.40]
    DRAM Timing Selectable_______ SPD __ [Manual]

If you have High speed Memory DDL option set to 1

CAS Latency Time________________ ?
    Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay_________ ?
    Dram RAS# Precharge Delay_______?
    Precharge Delay (tRAS)__________ ?

Subtimings, start with the higher settings, you can lower later ONE AT A TIME and test

ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)_________ 3-4
    Rank Write to READ Delay________ 9-11
    Write to Precharge Delay_________ 3-5
    Refresh to ACT Delay______________ 42
    Read to Precharge Delay__________ 3-6
    Static tRead Value_______________ 7-10
    Static tRead Phase Adjust________ 1-31 <<< Leave on Auto or Zero Or 1-31

System Voltage Control____ [Manual]
    DDR2 OverVoltage Control__ [+0.100V] = 1.9V - Please go here, and pick out your ram for me, you never said how many GB and what number of sticks (Like 2x1gb) you have and I would like to know the model so I can tell you the proper voltage to use >>>
    Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!

Or you can run CPU-z and in the SPD tab tell me the part number >>>
    CPUID

PCI-E OverVoltage Control_ [+0.1V] <<< For stability
    FSB OverVoltage Control___ [+0.1V - Maybe 1.5 since you are pushing the FSB pretty high over stock] <<< For stability
    (G)MCH OverVoltage Control [+0.1V] <<< For stability
    CPU Voltage Control_______ [1.45-1.50] <<< I am not sure the voltage, only you can know or guess this. But 1.45 or more would likely be needed I would think

I've only pushed cpu volts up to 1.45v and that was with the cpu at 2.66ghz. I've pushed up to 0.2v across pci-e, fsb, mch etc in an attempt for it to boot well.

As for the ram; its regular A-Data DDR2 5,5,5,18. rated at 1.8v. Bios shows 1.9v.
    I've recently bought another 2gb so 2x1gb sticks of which also check out fine with memtest.

Newegg.com - A-DATA 2GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

The bugger about it is I swap all my gear in to a mates asus board and its fine at 333x9 with a slight increase in vcore. :(

I have yet to try a different brand ram as he also runs the a-data ddr-800.

I'll try the above tweaks and see how I go tomorrow morning when I go to cold boot it. :)

Thanks.
    Last edited by Cubes; 05-15-2008 at 04:41 AM.

OK, Well I would say maybe ram incompatibility issues then, If you can borrow some different I would test it with different ram. That could be the issue

If you have the 8pin CPU wire on your new PSU I suggest you use it as opposed to the 4pin one, you will have to remove the black cover over the other 4pins by the CPU power plug.

Yeah, I just found the USB keyboard and mouse disable only works for certain Keyboards and mice. So just disable Leagcy USB then

Well it has most definitely improved with the beta bios.

Now I can hit the restart button without the computer power off but it still has a little bug where if i enter the bios and exit without saving it will power off then revert to default settings. Hit the save and exit and its perfectly fine.

I'll have to get some different ram in it; if I have no luck I'll hang out until the final bios release and if still no luck I might just grab the asus board and upgrade the linux box as its on 24x7 anyway. :P

Sounds good, kinda! At least you are getting somewhere. NON beta would definitely be better

At least you are getting somewhere though, still may just need a little bit of tweaking and you could fix that BIOS save/exit bug

Thread Information