Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: GA-X48-DQ6 Won't OC Anymore

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: GA-X48-DQ6 Won't OC Anymore

Ok well flash the one you are using again, incase you did not apply the things I suggested the last time. I say non beta, because often beta has issues, but fi you want you can try it. But the main thing is doing the optimized and save apply reboot thing I suggested. And clearing the CMOS for sure the way I suggested as well, this well ensure that you do indeed get a new Flash into there and could fix your non overclock problem

Ill be back later tonight, good luck with everything

OK, but I'm scared to death because you read of an awful lot of horror stories at forums about this flashing stuff. I went to the Gigabyte site and downloaded the F6 BIOS by SAVING (not running) it to my USB. The USB came with other files, like a folder with security features and update searches etc. But I checked the USB contents to see if the download was successful, and it was. So I hope I've done things right so far.

Only question right now is will the jumper from an optical drive work the same and fit? I have one.

I really don't want to proceed without my hands being held. So I'm just going to reload the C.I.A.2 into "Turbo" mode again and play Crysis. Then do Mother's Day and I'll probably be back to TweakTown about 8:50 pm PDT. I'll log on and post that I'm here so we can walk me through one more time. I have another computer, so if this one burns up and fries like the space shuttle, I can tell you about how much smoke poured out of it .

Yeap that will fit.

And the only file you need to put on the USB is the Actual BIOS file, it will end with "xBIOS nameX.F6" I hope I explained that ok. The file with .F6 at the end is the only file you need on the USB, and do not put it in a folder, just into the root of the USB stick, leave the stick in there and boot to qflash and do the flash

I unzipped the file and deleted everything but the BIOS file. Now the only file on the USB drive is X48DQ6.F6

Is this correct? My hard drive and OS will all be uneffected?

Boot to qflash by pressing the Delete button a bunch of times to enter the BIOS like I have been doing?
    Last edited by michaelboss; 05-12-2008 at 12:03 PM. Reason: additional comment

Yeap.

When in Qflash your USb will show as a floppy or a hard drive, just look thru the things it shows you.

*NOTE*
    You may need to enable USB legacy Storage Detect" before being able to use the USB in Qflash, i am not sure. I would try without it first and if you dont see it then reboot and enable that.

Another thing, Some USB's No matter if they are already FAT or FAT32 need to be reformatted by YOU for them to be used in Qflash. So if either way (With or without The legacy USB setting enabled) does not show you your USB stick (As floppy or Hard drive remember) please go into windows again and format it yourself to FAT32 and recopy that file onto it.

OK, it is now FAT32 and I simply redid the USB so I would know for sure that it was correct without guessing. Here goes...see ya in a bit.

Back again. Of course, there was yet another glitch! While in the qflash mode, there is presented only two choices-floppy drive and hard drive. I chose floppy and of course there is nothing recognized so I cannot continue. WTF?

Yes, look in both things, or all things it shows you. USB's do not show up as USB, they are either a Hard drive or a Floppy.

Do you have a floppy? If so, that is easier, just copy the BIOS file onto a floppy and flash from there

OK, my fault. I figured that out even before your reply. I started over and it was in the Hard Drive item. The flash went successfully. Powered down and rebooted. I did the "Load Optimized Defaults". Powered down and then tried for the oc. Yep, you guessed it-absolutely no luck. The comp just did the usual two restarts, and then booted into the defaults. I tried a couple of more times. No luck!

Got pretty pissed and went back to the C.I.A.2 "Turbo", but then to my horror it too would not load and the comp just restarted a couple of times, and then booted into the defaults. I spent over an hour and a half trying to get Turbo to work. By now I'm pretty well freaking out.

Finally, after much cursing, I decided that the BIOS was the culprit. This is why sooo many people hate flashing the BIOS and you read sooo many horror stories.

So, armed with new knowledge and mild bravery, I decided to flash the bios again. This time I did not try to oc, but just go for the C.I.A.2 "Turbo". It worked and still is doing what it is supposed to do. When the CPU is under a hard load, it Turbos. When the load goes away, it resumes normal voltages and speeds, including all DRAM stuff. The DRAM handles it, the CPU handles it and all of the temps are fine.

It is completely unexplainable why this board will not except a manual oc of the FSB. But it will oc automatically with C.I.A.2 enabled. So I am again basically happy.

I'll bet I have the only mobo in the USA that will not manually oc! Maybe we should just leave it as it is since it is working. Attached is a zip file of two CPU-Z screen captures showing what "Turbo" gives me when the CPU is working on Prime95.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by michaelboss; 05-12-2008 at 03:47 PM. Reason: Add attachment

WOW

Well, Yeah I suppose leave it for now. Did you ever do the jumper on clear cmos and reflash? Sometimes that does fix it, And yes there has been others who have had this manual FSB issue, and normally a full clear cmos witha jumper and Power supply unplugged gets the job done.

I suppose you can leave it as it is for now, but I would try again on the next BIOS update, or if you feel up to it a older previous bios may do the trick as well

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information