Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: GA-X48-DQ6 Won't OC Anymore

Default Re: GA-X48-DQ6 Won't OC Anymore

I can't agree with that. A cold boot here takes much more time than a resume from S3 mode. Maybe because I have a bunch of programs and services at the startup.

Now I disabled "Legacy USB storage detection" in Setup and I was able to boot with my card reader connected :)

I hope that will fix the S3 problem as well, I'll just try it and let you know.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Ahh yeah I guess it does depend on startup apps, and services allowed to run at startup, and of course disk speeds too.

So yeah I suppose for the average users it may not be as fast, but cold boot as opposed to resume from sleep possibly causing a Bad BIOS is enough for me to not mind the cold boots at all.

If you still wish to keep using it, I have read many users having luck with Adding a bit more to there MCH,FSB, and some DDR2 voltages as well. Mostly people added MCH and FSB, the DDR2 people I had seen likely needed it anyway as they were running on auto which we all know can sometimes be less.

So If you want to test it out, try bumping your MCH and FSB a notch and see if that helps at all

I've tried raising MCH and FSB but it didn't work.

DR2 was already at 2.2V, I tried 2.25V and some lower settings, but it didn't work either.

It looks like there's no way I can keep overclock and S3.

It's bad enough that Gigabyte advertises their DES as a big deal even though it doesn't work together with OC (who buys GA-X48-DQ6 and does not OC?), but selling a board which doesn't support S3 nowadays is even worse, and something I wouldn't expect from any brand, specially Gigabyte.

I'm giving up on this and setting S1 on setup, although S1 and nothing are almost the same. I just don't know if I should expect for a bios update that correct this issue or if I should just return this board and buy an Asus one.

A word from Gigabyte would be helpfull, but they don't even bother to respond to my support ticket.

For what it's worth, my X38-DS4 will resume from S3 mode if not overclocked. There is a long beep as it comes out of that mode. Don't know if the beep is normal, or indicates a problem. But I haven't been able to overclock and use S3.

This functionality has been around for a long time now, and I would fully expect this not to be an issue when these boards are marketed. If Intel chipsets are the cause, they should be held to account.

Steve
    X38-DS4 BIOS F3, CPU Quad 6600 G0, Thermalright XP90 Cooler,
    OCZ SLI-Edition PC-6400 2 x 2gb, Leadtek 7900GT w/Accelero S1,
    Samsung 500gb HDD, Creative X-fi Audio, Pioneer DVD, MSI CD/DVD
    Corsair HX-620 PSU, Thermaltake Xaser Case w/4 fans, Dell 1905P 19" Monitor,
    Windows XP Pro SP3

I lowered the bus speed to 400MHz and now the S3 mode is working, I'm not shure it's the cause, because processor, fsb and ram speeds became a little lower as well. Also, I'm not sure 400MHz is the limit.

Original settings:
    - BUS: 266 MHz
    - FSB: 1066 Mhz
    - Processor: 2.4GHz (E6600) (266 x 9)
    - RAM: 800MHz (2x2GB GSkill)

My previous settings: (S3 doesn't work)
    - BUS: 460 MHz
    - FSB: 1840 MHz
    - Processor: 3220MHz (460 x 8)
    - RAM: 1150 MHz (460 x 2.5)

My new settings: (S3 working)
    - BUS: 400 MHz
    - FSB: 1600 MHz
    - Processor: 3200MHz (400 x 8)
    - RAM: 1066 MHz (400 x 2.66)

Steve,

I am experiencing the long beep as well, it indicates the CPU cooler is not working. For a unknown reason to me, when resuming from S3 the cooler starts, then stops and then starts again.

PS: I am new at this forum, I am subscribed to this topic and I've activated the option to receive e-mails when someone reply to topics I'm subscribed, but still I get no e-mails at all. Is it normal?

fbreve,

I would be just guessing as to why S3 doesn't work properly.. could be something to do with power regulation when coming out of sleep mode, or the memory controller (data is suspended to RAM) or a combination of both.

So we can either use S3 at a set level of performance where it does work (i.e. no overclock or minor overclock), or we have to forget about using it if we want to overclock beyond that level. You've proved at least you can get a reasonable overclock of both CPU and RAM and still have S3 working.

The stopping and starting of the CPU cooler seems to be just a characteristic of these boards and the power regulation on start-up. My fan does the same thing.. a small spin - stop- full spin. So if that long beep indicates a "faulty cooler", then I suppose it is behaving correctly, although the cooler isn't actually faulty. Just something else one has to live with using these boards with S3. This fan behaviour also occurs from a cold boot. You can see it if you have your case open.

I don't know what's happening with the email notification. I also don't receive notification about subscribed threads, so maybe there's something wrong there.
    X38-DS4 BIOS F3, CPU Quad 6600 G0, Thermalright XP90 Cooler,
    OCZ SLI-Edition PC-6400 2 x 2gb, Leadtek 7900GT w/Accelero S1,
    Samsung 500gb HDD, Creative X-fi Audio, Pioneer DVD, MSI CD/DVD
    Corsair HX-620 PSU, Thermaltake Xaser Case w/4 fans, Dell 1905P 19" Monitor,
    Windows XP Pro SP3

I think stevez is right about the CPU fan spin up routine. Mine does the same thing and I do not have the sleep mode thing enabled. My Antec 900 case has the see-through, windowed side panel and my Zalman 9700NT does exactly what yours are doing.

Still don't have oc from the BIOS. But, after reading what you said about the USB devices, I'll try unplugging my USB switcher for two computers to share the same printer. I tried an oc from East Tune 5 Pro, but it didn't work. I guess I need to have things enabled in the BIOS first, but I seem to be clueless, lol. That's why I asked about your BOIS settings at the time you oc'd the FSB from East Tune 5 Pro.

michaelboss,

I believe you don't have to set anything in bios before using Easy Tune 5 Pro, but it's hard to achieve a good overclock on C2D without lowering ram multipliers and unfortunatelly Easy Tune doesn't allow you to play with that. You can also raise some voltages in bios to allow better overclocks in Easy Tune 5 Pro.

I have this board too, and I also had a lot problems trying to get any OC working at first.

My system:
    GA-X48-DQ6
    Intel E8500 3.16 Ghz
    4GB (2GB x 2GB) Corsair TWIN2X4096-9136C5DF

I am at the early stages of boosting this board as I like to go up in increments and check for stability for a few days before I increase settings again.

Anyway the key change for me to get any OC working on this board was to disable the .5 multipler setting, I only use a 9X multiplier.

I currently have the bus at 400Mhz running the processer at 3.6 Ghz using a voltage of 1.300, I set the memory to run at it's rated 1066 and the system has been rock solid. I'm sure I will be able to go up from here.

I had no success of any kind trying to OC this board with the .5 multiplier enabled.

I am at work so I don't recall my settings in detail, but they are very consertative atm.
    Last edited by Maxila; 06-04-2008 at 02:49 AM.

Well, I have tried not using the .5 multiplier but so far have had no success. I even tried to underclock the CPU, but no success. For my mobo it seems that the board simply will not accept any manual change to the FSB. Each board is an individual and mine seems to have this one single fault/flaw. I tried everything Lsdmeasap said to try several times. I'm actually fairly happy with the way it is.

The E8500 is a powerful processor even at the default speed. I overclocked my NVidea 9800 GTX up to the superclocked version and even with the E8500 at factory speed I am playing Crysis with everything on the High Settings with an average of 28-30 FPS.

What I am probably going to do is get a Gigabyte P45 board when they arrive and I'm fairly sure that just a different board will allow me to oc my E8500 to 3.8 GHz using a 400 MHz CPU clock (1600 MHz FSB)---like everybody else!! My son will receive a hand-me-down X48-DQ6.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread Information