Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: GA-X48-DQ6 Won't OC Anymore

Default Re: GA-X48-DQ6 Won't OC Anymore

Quote Originally Posted by michaelboss View Post
    Well, I have tried not using the .5 multiplier but so far have had no success. I even tried to underclock the CPU, but no success. For my mobo it seems that the board simply will not accept any manual change to the FSB. Each board is an individual and mine seems to have this one single fault/flaw. I tried everything Lsdmeasap said to try several times. I'm actually fairly happy with the way it is.

The E8500 is a powerful processor even at the default speed. I overclocked my NVidea 9800 GTX up to the superclocked version and even with the E8500 at factory speed I am playing Crysis with everything on the High Settings with an average of 28-30 FPS.

What I am probably going to do is get a Gigabyte P45 board when they arrive and I'm fairly sure that just a different board will allow me to oc my E8500 to 3.8 GHz using a 400 MHz CPU clock (1600 MHz FSB)---like everybody else!! My son will receive a hand-me-down X48-DQ6.
    I wish I was at home and could check the settings but heres what I remember about the other voltages.

Memory voltage +.30
    PCI Express unchanged
    FSB +.05
    MCH +.10
    CPU 1.300

I know every board is unique but maybe these settings will be lucky for you too?

Since I'm going from my memory I may have confused the north bridge (MCH) voltage and the FSB setting , I know I set one of them +.05 and the other is +.10
    Last edited by Maxila; 06-04-2008 at 04:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by michaelboss View Post
    Well, I have tried not using the .5 multiplier but so far have had no success. I even tried to underclock the CPU, but no success. For my mobo it seems that the board simply will not accept any manual change to the FSB. Each board is an individual and mine seems to have this one single fault/flaw. I tried everything Lsdmeasap said to try several times. I'm actually fairly happy with the way it is.

The E8500 is a powerful processor even at the default speed. I overclocked my NVidea 9800 GTX up to the superclocked version and even with the E8500 at factory speed I am playing Crysis with everything on the High Settings with an average of 28-30 FPS.

What I am probably going to do is get a Gigabyte P45 board when they arrive and I'm fairly sure that just a different board will allow me to oc my E8500 to 3.8 GHz using a 400 MHz CPU clock (1600 MHz FSB)---like everybody else!! My son will receive a hand-me-down X48-DQ6.
    michaelboss

I just got a new x48-dq6 last month, I found that there is no way to change the FSB on my mobo even I change it from 333 to 334, it always change back to 333, no matter what value of FSB you have saved in the bios, it always use the default FSB instead. I have tried to update the bios in different versions, F6, F6b, F7b, F7d, all of them I have tested and no luck. I have also tried to ask my dealer and use the Gigabyte TSZ, noone can help me to solve this problem, in your case you can still use C.I.A.2 to get some overclocking, but in my case, it is no luck too. I discovered this thread and got some ideas here to help me to solve this problem, and I did. I reply this thread as pay back. My successful steps as below.

1. take out the battery and wait 2 minutes because I want to clear the CMOS
    2. power up the PC and get inside the Qflash, update the bios from F6 to f7b
    3. get inside the bios, (something strange here, because I found my previous setting in the bios, suppose it should be default factory setting)
    4. power off the pc and take out the battery again, wait half an hour, make sure the CMOS has cleaned
    5. power up the pc and get inside the bios, this time I cannot see my previous setting in bios, and then press F7 to load the optimal setting for every page in the bios, and then make the setting depends on your needs, and this time you will see the FSB can be changed again in POST, at least it can work for me.

mephist

mephist,

Yes, C.I.A.2 does work for me, however as I understand things it only kicks into gear when the cpu is under @70% load + higher. I read in a forum that even the game Crysis only uses the E8400 and E8500 at around 50-60% cpu resources at the most. It mostly has a super super high GPU requirement. That why I bought the NVidea 9800 GTX. So I have not kept C.I.A.2 activated.

Another problem I had with C.I.A.2 not mentioned before is that for C.I.A.2 to be activated the bios raised the cpu core voltage to 1.3125v (as I remember it). The problem is that it left the voltage raised continuously and never returned it to normal even when the cpu was at idle. You know, there is no way I'm going to let my cpu get that increased voltage when C.I.A.2 is hardly ever actually boosting the FSB. To my way of thinking the voltage should return to normal when C.I.A.2 is not boosting the FSB.

I don't mind a bit having a continuously higher cpu voltage for an overclocked FSB that is continuously delivering the oc, but not for a once in a while situation.

I would be interested to hear if your board will sustain your overclock over a period of time, like two weeks or 20-30 restarts or bootups. If so, then please post back. I might try what you did if you can keep the overclock for that long because mine did not. I'm still impressed how strong the E8500 is at the default speed, but I would definitely like to powercharge it up to 3.8 GHz with a 400 MHz FSB. This is supposed to a straight foward process. I had it to 3.8 GHz for quite a few bootups before it lost the oc, and it indeed felt snapier!

Glad to hear you got something to work. But I would feel better when Gigabyte makes the F7b (beta) into a full fledged F7. Post back about sustainability. Thanks for your input.
    Last edited by michaelboss; 06-06-2008 at 08:01 AM. Reason: add signature

Tonight, I want to add an extra fan into my PC, so I unplugged the power and added the fan, did all the things that I want, after I power up the PC and the FSB has locked again, my OC setting has gone, no matter what I have done, no luck, the FSB is locked and no way to change it again, no matter what value I have saved in the BIOS, it just keeps to use the default FSB forever. I am very sad , so I tried to clear the CMOS by taking out the battery for a while, and then get inside the BIOS to see, my previous setting has gone, and I trust it is a right time to reset the OC setting in BIOS, I did it, but no luck this time, even I reset the CMOS, and re-input the setting again, the FSB is still locked, always use the default value instead, god!

This time, I decided to follow my previous successful steps and hope it will work, eventually, the fact is... it works again, I really don't know what is the problem of my mobo. I am overclocking my Q9450 @3.2 (400*8), it is very stable, runs Prime95 for a long time without any error. I am satisfy the current setting.

One thing that I have discovered about this strange case of my mobo (FSB locked, no matter what have I done, it just locked) it might me the BIOS has overheat, my 9800gtx create a lot of heat, and it is very close to the BIOS, sometime I take the battery out, it is very hot, the BIOS overheat might be the only one reasonable explanation to resolve our situation.

I have not tried to just let the PC completely cold down and power up it to see the FSB is still locked or not, you can try it yourself.

I suspected it might lock again. But since you got it back, maybe your thoughts about the bios getting too hot are what's happening. As Lsdmeasap wanted me to do, I really ckecked out the NB chipset for heat and that is not the problem. I have not checked the CMOS battery for heat. But I have the Antec 900 case and all of the fans are set to high. I added the side panel fan and it too is set to high. The air flow is really good in my case. Everest Ultimate says my mobo temp is 27c at the lowest and 32c at the highest on hot days when the ambient temp inside the computer room is higher than usual. My 9800 GTX only gets to about 60c-65c when playing Crysis. It's only 33c when web surfing. The side fan really helps a lot. 9800 GTX fan is set to 80%. Even my cpu only gets to 43c running Prime95 for over an hour. The Zalman 9700NT really does a great job and I have it pointing out the back of the case. It sucks a ton of air from the RAM area as well as the NB and top of the 9800 GTX. Everything seems pretty cool as computer cases are judged.

All the same, you could on to the problem. I don't know what more I could do to cool down the CMOS battery area.
    E8500 | X48-DQ6 | Zalman 9700 NT | Enermax Infinity 720 WT | NVidea 9800 GTX oc'd | Antec 900 case | 4 GB OCZ Reaper HPC DDR2 1066 (2 x 2GB) | Seagate 'Cuda SATA II HDD's 2 x 500 GB, 1 x 750 GB | M-Audio Revolution 5.1 Sound |

LOL I've managed to get the same problem - cant OC. But I have solved it for me!

I followed lsdmeasap advice plus the other very useful threads he has posted and he is correct in every way but there was something I dont think you have tried.

Set up all your settings memory voltages etc ready for your OC but leave the FSB/CPU at stock. Can you re boot now?

Now try increasing fsb. I came from an ASUS board to this board and it seems this one does not like multiple BIOS changes very much as compared to ASUS. If you want to increase fsb, make sure there are no other BIOS settings changes with it. See how that goes!

Hey guys, just wanted to say I had exactly the same issue. I have a GA-X48-DQ6, Intel E8500, PC8500 Memory and 1000 W PSU. After reseting the BIOS I still could not adjust FSB speed, which had previously been OC'd for 3-4 months with no issues (I am heavy gamer). After installing the new WD Velociraptor I noticed that I was back to default speeds which is instantly noticable in games.

What fixed for me was changing where my Hard Drive was connected to PSU and changing SATA Port (after reseting BIOS) and everything worked again..
    Just wanted to add this because I could not OC for a day or 2 till I worked this out.

I'm bringing this topic back to life to say that when I said keeping frequency below 400MHz would make S3 mode work this is not entirely true. Actually, sometimes when returning from S3 mode the board enters a power cycle of death, and the only way to stop it from dying is removing the power cable, plugging it again and letting a cold boot happen.

I can't identify a pattern, this just happens randomly only when returning from S3 mode.

I'm living with this problem for over a year now, just hoping that Gigabyte would release an updated firmware, but I guess this will never happen.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Can you please post your full specs and the BIOS settings you are using now, template in my signature

Settings you are using that fail to resume, are they 100% stable Memtest86+ 2.11 and orthos/prime?

If you are not already using F8e I suggest you do >>

http://forum.gigabyte.de/forumdownlo...603/x48dq6.zip

It could be just your BIOS if you are using an older one, or settings used, or combo of both. I can try to help you get going with this, let me know the above info and we will see if I can get you squared away

Thank you Lsdmeasap,

Actually, I'm far away from home since july and for the next month and I don't remember the exact specifications.

I was using firmware F8d, I didn't know F8e yet, but I don't think it will solve as I've already tried lots of firmware versions.

It's perfectly stable with memtest86, prime, occt, etc. The only problem is the S3 mode.

I'll get the complete settings when I go back home.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread Information