Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: GA-X48-DQ6 Won't OC Anymore

Default GA-X48-DQ6 Won't OC Anymore

My new build has been running for 2 weeks now. Has an E8500 CPU. The board accepted a FSB 400 MHz oc just fine. CPUZ verified 400 MHz FSB and 9.5 multiplier to reach 3800 MHz. Prime95 ran for 2 hrs with no errors. All temps were normal (cpu max was 43 c). Then I noticed Everest Ultimate + CPUZ showed the oc was gone! I have tried everything to get back the oc, but the board just keeps restarting a couple of times, then loads the original settings (except it keeps my ram timings). Read some of the other similar threads, but nothing is working. Help-I'm lost!

Here are some sys specs and attemted BIOS info:
    MIT
    CPU Clock Ratio 9 X
    Fine CPU Clock Ratio +0.5
    CPU Host Clock Control Enabled
    CPU Host Frequency 400
    PCI Express Frequency 100
    C.I.A.2 Disabled
    Performance Enhance Standard
    System Memory Multiplier 2.00D
    DRAM Time Selectable Manual
    CAS Latency Time 4
    DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay 4
    DRAM RAS# Precharge 4
    Precharge delay(tRAS) 12
    Advanced Timing Controls All set to Auto
    CPU/PCIEX Clock Driving Control 800mv
    CPU Clock Skew Control Normal
    (G)MCH Clock Skew Control Normal
    System Voltage Control Manual
    DDR2 OverVoltage Control +0.40V
    PCI-E OverVoltage Control +0.10V, also none
    FSB OverVoltage Control +0.10V, also none
    (G)MCH OverVoltage Control +0.100, also none
    Loadline Calibration Enable
    CPU Voltage Control 1.3125V, as well as default volts
    board revision 1.1, F6 BIOS

E8500 cpu + Zalman 9700nt cooler + arctic silver 5
    Enermax Infinity 720 wt psu
    Antec 900 case with the side fan installed (lots of air flow!)
    Crucial Ballistix PC-6400 3 GB (2x 1GB + 2x 512 MB) running @ 4-4-4-12 @ 2.2v (yes it's on the compatible memory list)

Michaelboss

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: GA-X48-DQ6 Won't OC Anymore

Crucial may be compatible, but often dies, and Especially at 2.1 or over. Yes I know the spec is 2.1, just google Crucial RMA and you will see what I mean. Now Enough of that!

Lower that Ram voltage to at least 2.1V for sure.

I would say either you need some more CPU voltage or you have reached your chips limit with your cooling. I know you said it was cool, so that may not be it.

I can say AUTO is not the way to go with memory subtimings, not so sure what to suggest with 3gb, but I do know AUTO is often too much or not enough. And when your board reboots and you get defaults and loose you overclock it is because you had something not right IE: voltages or timings.

I can say, dont try to use 400 even, use above or below. There is a "Hole" at 400, use 403 or 397, like that!

And first, since you been running that ram at 2.2 I would personally test each stick one at a time in Memtest86+ 2.01 to be sure one of them is not dead, this will also cause the issues you are seeing.

And in Integrated Peripherals page go shut off USB mouse and Keyboard, even if you are using them it will work fine. And while you are there, also disable Legacy USB storage detect

Thanks for the rapid reply!

Well, I disabled USB keyboard and mouse support. The Legacy USB Storage was already disabled. I tried 397, 395, 350, 375, 380, 403, 405, 425 and 440 FSB's. None worked. I tried upping the CPU voltage to well beyond what everybody else has needed to use for this processor in the 400 FSB range (just above 1.35v). No luck. I added those experiments with a little more voltage to the MCH and FSB as well. No luck. I tried oc'ing and lowering the mem voltage to 2.1 as you suggested with no luck. I tried just leaving the ram alone at 1.8v @ 5-5-5-18 and oc'ing the CPU all by itself. No luck.

I am screwed with memtest as I do not have a floppy drive, just the USB thumb drive. Memtest says it needs to be run from a floppy. Will a USB work?

I am clueless about the subtimings and which one or two are probably the most important to try out. But with each hour I spend I'm less cluless!!!

My computer runs great @ CPU defaults and the RAM set to the EPP 4-4-4-12 even one lower voltage than the 2.1 you sugessted. It plays Crysis fine with no errors. Just not quite as smooth as when it was oc'ed. Prime95 runs for more than an hour with no errors.
    I'm still amazed the original oc worked great for a few days, then died.

The darn thing just wont OC! Maybe I'm just wasting money, but I'm going to try different RAM. I made a purchase just now of OCZ Reaper HPC 2x 2GB DDR2 1066Newegg.com - OCZ Reaper HPC 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

This should be way easier to get the RAM and FSB in sync as the memory stap option of 2.40D and 444 FSB gets 1065.6 MHz memory. Although I realize that it will be more critical that I get the voltages all correct since I will be more than 100 MHz higher than the default CPU clock of 333 MHz. But it's a higher oc -- what the heck, I'm still an oc noob and it's ok to try for the home run on my first at bat!

BTW, just what are the most important subtimings for 2x 2GB of 1066 RAM.

Well, if you have something I missed, please teach me. Maybe we can get the comp to oc and I'll just use the new RAM in another computer, or vice versa.

michaelboss

You can run memtest from a CD, This is a ISO link, you must burn as a IMAGE not just copy the ISO to a cd and burn. If you need help on how to do that let me know, I say that because some people dont know what a ISO is, and some do. If ya dont just let me know
    http://www.memtest.org/download/2.01...+-2.01.iso.zip

Well, this is what I would use for 3GB at 800 for a "High" starting point, but keeping the 444-12 timing. Then lower each one at a time and test after Moving ONE at a TIME. Start with the highest Suggested here >>>

-----3GB @ 800Mhz-----

4-4-4-12 of course, then >>
    ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)_________3-4
    Rank Write to READ Delay________ 4 Or 9-11
    Write to Precharge Delay_________ 3-6
    Refresh to ACT Delay______________22-38/42 (Start with 42)
    Read to Precharge Delay__________ 3-5
    Static tRead Value_______________ 7-10 (Do not try 6 no matter what you read!!!)
    Static tRead Phase Adjust________ 1-31 / Auto / 0 <<<Leave one default or one of these choices ( Meaning do not adjust or set to 0 if you already have )

DDR2 OverVoltage Control__ [+0.300V] Likely always can be under spec with good ram
    PCI-E OverVoltage Control_ [+0.1V]
    FSB OverVoltage Control___ [+0.1V]
    (G)MCH OverVoltage Control [+0.1V]

-----4GB 2X2 @1066)-----
    5-5-5--15 of course, then >>
    ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)_________3-4
    Rank Write to READ Delay________ 4 Or 9-11
    Write to Precharge Delay_________ 3-6
    Refresh to ACT Delay______________52-62/64
    Read to Precharge Delay__________ 3-5
    Static tRead Value_______________ 7-12 (Do not try 6 no matter what you read!!!)
    Static tRead Phase Adjust________ 1-31 / Auto / 0 <<<Leave one default or one of these choices ( Meaning do not adjust or set to 0 if you already have )

DDR2 OverVoltage Control__ [+0.300V]
    PCI-E OverVoltage Control_ [+0.1V]
    FSB OverVoltage Control___ [+0.1V]
    (G)MCH OverVoltage Control [+0.1V - +0.125V - +0.150V] Try Starting with .15 and work you way down

Hey, have you tried using a multi of 9 with a higher FSB instead, such as 9 X 425? This may help, if you do and your ram is over 450 or so and it wont work try 5-4-4-12 for the main settings. 4-4-4-12 should be ok up to 450FSB but I am not so sure about those 2X512's you have. May be best to remove those and just use 2x1 for now.
    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 12-01-2008 at 01:03 PM.

lsdmeasap,

Again, thanks for the fast reponse-your good.

OK, great, that is the kind of info I needed that you can only find from others that have the experience who are willing to help. This will give some things to try out tonight after work.

I checked out Wikipedia for a definition on ISO. I think I understand, but yes I will need some instruction on burning an ISO image. I already have memtest, but I'll download your link to make sure I have the recommended version.

What do you mean on the recommendations for:
    Static tRead Phase Adjust________ 1-31 / Auto / 0 << Leave on One of these choices

Yes, I did try lower multipliers, like 9.0, 8.5 and 8.0 with a higher FSB than 400 tying to get it back to where 9.5 was with around 400 FSB. No luck as well.

Too late on the Mushkin and G.Skill ideas, for the moment. I already ordered the OCZ and probably will receive it Saturday (overnight shipping). I'll try Mushkin first if OCZ does not work. I'll also try out your ideas from the last paragraph tonight. The nice thing is everything runs great without an oc applied, even the ram at the EPP.

My only other thought was to reseat the Zalman 9700NT cooler. But Coretemp and Everest both agreed with each other while running Prime95 for about 2 hours that the max core temps were at 43c. I would think that is very good under such a high load for so long.

Well, I'll await instructions on the ISO burn and then post back after trying all of this out.
    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 05-10-2008 at 03:05 AM. Reason: adding content

No problem! I try to help when I can, and if I cant Ill tell you up front.

Yeah, if you dont have a floppy then you need the different ISO version to put on a CD. Do you have Nero? If not I will post some info for you in a second, If you do have any music or cd burning applications let me know and I will give you directions on using those. If not I will likely be posting a trial app for you to use

Hmm about the multi and FSB, maybe your Northbridge is too hot, Can you hold your finger on it for more then 10 seconds? If not then it is too hot, and that is likely why you cant go over 400FSb, I personally would redo the thermal paste under it and the mosfets with NON conductive paste. And if still needed Add a 40MM fan to the Northbridge. I say redo the paste because often time the factory uses to much, too little, or does not properly cover the NB

Yeah 43 is good temps your cpu is not likely the issue here.

Let me know what apps you have, if any. If not I will post a how to for ya here soon as you answer

Here is a few pages, with several methods including free software, trials and nero as well >>>
    How to Write ISO Files to CD
    Burn ISO File - How to Burn an ISO Image File to a CD or DVD - Write ISO File
    How to successfully burn or write an ISO-image to cd or dvd

I use UltraISO if you want to use that I can post your some direct How to images along with a trial version. Or you could use the above info. Just know it HAS to be done differently then just copying the ISO file to cd

I have Nero-the basic version that came with the optical drive.

Oh boy! I'll check the NB with my finger. I suppose if I could remove the Crazy Cool from the mobo to install the Zalman, I can figure out how to get the NB removed as well. But I'm guessing that I will essentially need to completely remove the mobo from the case. Don't know 'cause I'm at work right now. The Zalman reaches over the top of the NB partially, so I don't know if a 40mm will fit. If one would fit, can you link me to a product to purchase that will match up to this X-48 NB. Will Arctic Silver 5 work? I still have plenty left over.

Ok well that first link has nero directions. Or here is some more in How to with images for nero >>>
    How to burn a ISO Image using NERO

Here is how to remove the crazycool>>>
    Clunk's Forums. - View Single Post - Gigabyte GA X38 DQ6 Blog

Yes it will have to be fully removed from your case

I would suggest to use Arctic Ceramic or TX-2 or MX-2, I use TX-2. Just to be on the safe side. You can use AS5 if you are very careful. But not for the mosfets. But there is bare connections also under there (NB) so best to use non conductive. And of course if it isnt hot you may not even need to worry about it

Here is a Image of how someone else put there fan on their
    Clunk's Forums. - View Single Post - Gigabyte X48T DQ6 Living Review

As for a 40MM fan, you could get this one or any similar, and just use a paperclip or some hotglue to put it on there. Or any other way you can think up >>>

Out of Stock Until 5/13/08 get on the Auto Notify list because they go fast
    Newegg.com - EVERCOOL EC4010 40mm Case Fan - Case Fans

Selection >>>
    Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!

Thanks for the above, but...

What do you mean on the recommendations for:
    Static tRead Phase Adjust________ 1-31 / Auto / 0 <<

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information