Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: E6550 voltage and core speed ??

Default E6550 voltage and core speed ??

Hi,

I have the GA-P35C-DS3R I had it for two weeks now going through a few problems but think I am getting there ! Not very familiar with intel boards so I may be confused here.

I had a look at the bios tweaking sticky ( I dont have a clue as I have never tweaked any bios in my life ) This was because i was wondering about my corsair memory, it can be set to 4-4-4-12 at 2.1v

Anyway, I never go that far as I found a link to CPU-Z, so I download it and run it, now this is the part I dont understand. My bios is set for default, except for booting priority, no splash screen and on board audio off....

The screen shot is what CPU-Z says about the cpu, it dont look right to me as it seems to be running at 2Ghz instead of 2.3GHz ?? is this right or do I need to do something ? Help !!!

Martop
    Attached Images Attached Images E6550 voltage and core speed ??-e6550-jpg 

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: E6550 voltage and core speed ??

You have speedstep on, so it lowers the multi and voltage when you are not fully using your cpu If you want to turn these things Off you will need to manually make your settings in the BIOS, for ram and CPU.

Those Things are C1E, EIST, TM2, And C.I.A.2

If you do not plan to overclock I would suggest you leave things as they are, they are working properly

If you want some settings suggested let me know and I will post you some full MIT settings to try

Thank you Lsdmeasap, I now understand a little more ! I thought the readings where a bit odd as my bios says its set to x7 and the V core is 1.284.

I tried the cpu id tool from intel and it reports that it is indeed 2.3Ghz.

I was a little hesitant to look in the bios as I have read the thread about this board not posting, so far I have not had any problems, except for the esata problem ( sorted as I use usb until I can check out the esata enclosure on another pc ) and trying AHCI when I first got the board ( I don't use it now as it doesn't seem to make that much difference for my use ) mine is the REV2.1 with the F10 bios.

As I said in my post, I was looking at the ram settings, mines set to 5.5.5. something but corsair state it can be 4.4.4.12 at 2.1v I have no idea what that means though as I just set up my pc as is and leave it at that, but natural curiosity is getting the better of me. Would changing the memory settings do anything for prefomance ?

Thanks again.

martop

Yes, it would help your ram speed some. You can manually set that only in the BIOS.

In the MIT section, make these changes. You may need to hit Control + F1 to see all settings , on the MAIN screen of the bios first, it will flash the screen, then go into MIT section >>>

DRAM Timing Selectable_______ SPD __ [Manual]

CAS Latency Time________________4
    Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay_________4
    Dram RAS# Precharge Delay_______ 4
    Precharge Delay (tRAS)___________12

System Voltage Control____ [Manual]
    DDR2 OverVoltage Control__ [+0.300V] = 2.1V

Hey thanks Lsdmeasap, I will reboot and try these settings, I forgot about the control and F1, I had to do that to disable number lock at bootup, I use linux based system imaging, when it came to type a name for the image, all I got was jumble lol..... number lock ! I suppose I could use xpress-recovery but I never had an empty partition when I built the computer.

Off to reboot, will post back how I get on, Thanks for your help again.

martop

Second attempt to post a thank you, first one got lost :-(. I set the dram settings as you suggested, rebooted and no problems. I did catch sight of CPU_Z at boot up reporting x7 and 2.3GHz before it went back to 2Ghz, this was while my antivirus loaded as well as a few other things, so now I understand this speed step. Is there any more bios tweaks I can try ?

Thanks again Lsdmeasap for your help,

martop

Well you could set your system to run always at 2.3 and ram at 800Mhz if you wanted.

To do that you need to find and disable these things first >> C1E, C.I.A.2., TM2, And EIST

Then make these changes in the MIT section >>>
    Robust Graphics Booster___________ [Auto]
    CPU Clock Ratio ____________ [7]
    CPU Host Clock Control_ [Enabled]
    CPU Host Frequency (MHz)__________ [333]
    PCI Express Frequency (Mhz)_______ [100]
    C.I.A. 2__________________________ [Disabled]
    System Memory Multiplier (SPD)____ [2.40]
    DRAM Timing Selectable_______ SPD __ [Manual]

If you have Performance Enhance in your MIT section set it on Standard

CAS Latency Time________________ 4
    Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay_________ 4
    Dram RAS# Precharge Delay_______4
    Precharge Delay (tRAS)__________ 12

If you want to set these you can, start with the higher suggested, then lower and test one at a time if you want

ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)_________3-4
    Rank Write to READ Delay________ 4 << Test Last 9-11
    Write to Precharge Delay_________ 3-6
    Refresh to ACT Delay______________38-42
    Read to Precharge Delay__________ 3-5
    Static tRead Value_______________ 7-10 << 7 is likely easy to start with, do not try 6
    Static tRead Phase Adjust________ 1-31 /AUTO /0 << leave this unchanged at one of those settings

System Voltage Control____ [Manual]
    DDR2 OverVoltage Control__ [+0.300V]
    PCI-E OverVoltage Control_ [+0.1V] << For stability, completely safe
    FSB OverVoltage Control___ [+0.1V] << For stability, completely safe
    (G)MCH OverVoltage Control [+0.1V] << For stability, completely safe

CPU Voltage Control_______ [1.35] <<< This will be up to you to find what is the lowest you can run this at, or leave on auto if you dont plan to overclock higher then stock. but likely even on auto it is a bit much and could be ran with less and thus be cooler overall

Dont mind the FLASHING red warnings you will see, just a reminder by gigabyte to not change things unless you know what you are doing

Thanks for that Lsdmeasap, much appreciated ! will try this a little later, as ever, I get time to do something and something else comes along to eat into my time

Just one question, its about the cpu temp, in the bios, as soon as I go in there it says its 35 degrees C, as usual it then rises when inside the bios screen. When I boot up the pc and use cputemp or speed fan, they report its around 44 to 45 degrees when idle, is this correct or is the reading taken from a different place that the bios uses ?

Reason I ask is I encoded a 800MB avi as a test, it took just on 25 minutes ( it was more like 70 minutes on my old 64x 4200 amd pc ) now when I installed speedfan when I first build the pc it said it was around 35 degrees and while encoding it went to 47. I had to reinstall xp again and this time speedfan says its 44 degrees idle and 57 when encoding !!

thanks again,

martop

Well there is CPU temps and Core temps. And both get different readings, I suggest you use everest or CoreTemp to watch your core temps and not CPU temp. Speedfan is off by 10 or so I believe unless that has been fixed. Grab CoreTemp and compare and you will find out >>>
    Core Temp

Everest Trial
    Lavalys - Comprehensive IT Security and Management

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information