Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: P35-DS3L -- Possible memory setting problems?

Default P35-DS3L -- Possible memory setting problems?

About a month ago, I purchased the following..

GA-P35-DS3L
    E8400
    Crucial Ballistix 4GB(2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
    XFX PVT88PYDF4 GeForce 8800GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI-e
    CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX ATX12V V2.2 550W Power Supply

After getting it all setup, I went towards overclocking. I got it to a stable overclock and it ran for about 3 weeks until I started getting random blue screen errors, to where it wouldn't boot Vista x64. Eventually it got to the point where it would reboot and auto recover the BIOS from the HDD, and loop about 10 times, until the board went dead and wouldn't POST.

I cleared the BIOS, did everything I could, but it would not post. Got an RMA and 2 weeks later, I got a replacement board.

Replaced it, booted it up, everything runs fine for a day. I don't do any overclocking of the motherboard (video card is still overclocked), just change some of the default BIOS settings to enable USB keyboard, etc.

I start getting blue screen errors, always the same one.. IRQL_LESS_THAN_OR_EQUAL -- from my reading it looked like a driver problem. Reinstalled every driver for every device, still got the error randomly every several hours. Just happened before this post, and damnit, it went to the BIOS auto-recovering screen again and luckily, after 6 reboots, it booted back up retaining all my basic BIOS setting changes.

What is happening? I tested the memory with the Windows Memory Diag, and with MemTest86, no errors. I have set the voltage on the memory to 0.3 (making it 2.1) and that seems to have improved the stability, but I'm still getting crash screens.

I know my memory is rated at 4-4-4-12, but I'm nervous to OC is because I'm not sure what I should set in the BIOS, but it's obvious the default isn't working.

Thanks for the help, I'm at my wits end.

Default Re: P35-DS3L -- Possible memory setting problems?

I just wanted to add.. after moving the voltage only to 2.1, I noticed an improvement in stability. My PC was actually up for a whole day before crashing. During that time, I ran ORTHOS for 2-3 hours with no problems. While I thought I may have fixed it, obviously I didn't. I'm hoping after learning what are the recommended timings and such to set in the BIOS I'll be all set.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Crucial is known to die fast, have you ran Memtest86+ V. 2.01 on it, I know you said memtest86, but there is a difference >>>
    Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool

I would suggest this because that is a memory error, and you may already be in the crucial RAM boat. Google Crucial RMA you will see, It is The most RMA'd memory there is!!!!!

Run a full test, then run a hour or so of test #2 then hour or so of test #5. To configure test #'s >>>>
    1. First press C

2. then 1

3. then 3

4. and finally select the test that you want to run

5. press Enter

6. and then 0 to get it running

As for actual suggestions. 2X2Gb sticks need some settings by default to run smoothly, those would be these few for sure, If you want suggestions for the rest let me knwo and I will post them. But these need to be set, overclocking or not >>>>

Refresh to ACT Delay______________52-62 <<< MUST for 2X2 you may go lower but that is later after some testing

Static tRead Value_______________ 7-10 <<< likely 8 would be good, but 7 may work fine, 6 IS A NO GO
    Static tRead Phase Adjust________ 1-31 <<< Do not set, leave on AUTO or 0 Or 1-31

System Voltage Control____ [Manual]
    DDR2 OverVoltage Control__ [+0.300V] = 2.1V Best suggestion, if it runs under this, which it may please do so as crucial heatspreader is paperthin

(G)MCH OverVoltage Control [+0.1V +0.125V -+0.15V] << Start with +.1 if it errors move to the next up and so on, should not need more then .15 if not overclocking.

I do mean MemTest86+, forgot about the other version. I will run those tests though.

As for suggestions, I would love if you could post some.

Thanks for the reply!

K, what are you trying to run at?

Do you have a good cooler, and have you felt your NB to see if you can touch it for more then 10 seconds while memtest or orthos is running? Just doing some checks

I was mistaken, I actually wasn't running the latest version of MemTest86+ .. but I am now.

I actually have a nice aftermarket cooler, because my plan was to overclock but I haven't since I've had some problems.

Newegg.com - XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 120mm Rifle CPU Cooler - CPU Fans & Heatsinks

And by NB, do you mean the north bridge heatsink?

EDIT: According to the BIOS, my CPU runs at 24C, and Core Temps says 43C. Read that E8400 doesn't give accurate readings, so I'm not 100% sure which reading to go with.
    Last edited by Quick; 05-12-2008 at 04:46 AM.

Yeah I meant NB heatsink. Well If you want some overclock suggestions post a Ghz choice And I will post you a stating point aside from CPU voltage as I am not so sure yet about 8400 till I get my 3110. But I am positive on what is good for everything else.

Well, I've read of success getting it up to 4.0, but I dont think I want to take a big step like that quite yet. I'll take any suggestion.. 3.4, 3.6?

As for the NB, I can only touch it for 3-4 seconds before having to take my finger off. Is that a problem?

Well I have to get outta here for now so here is a suggested settings for 3.6, these subtimings will work fine for higher if you want, just be sure you start with the higher and work your way down

First be sure TM2, EIST, C.I.A.2, and C1E is disabled. These are high/loose subtimings, start high and move you way down Testing after EACH ONE SETTING CHANGE, Otherwise if you change two or more at once you will not know what is causing the errors

Robust Graphics Booster___________ [Auto]
    CPU Clock Ratio ____________ [9]
    CPU Host Clock Control_ [Enabled]
    CPU Host Frequency (MHz)__________ [400]
    PCI Express Frequency (Mhz)_______ [100]
    C.I.A. 2__________________________ [Disabled]
    System Memory Multiplier (SPD)____ [2.00]
    DRAM Timing Selectable_______ SPD __ [Manual]

CAS Latency Time________________ 4
    Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay_________ 4
    Dram RAS# Precharge Delay_______4
    Precharge Delay (tRAS)__________ 12
    ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)_________ 3-4
    Rank Write to READ Delay________ 9-11
    Write to Precharge Delay_________3-5
    Refresh to ACT Delay______________ 52-62
    Read to Precharge Delay__________ 3-6
    Static tRead Value_______________ 7-10
    Static tRead Phase Adjust________ 1-31 / Auto/ 0

System Voltage Control____ [Manual]
    DDR2 OverVoltage Control__ [+0.300V]
    PCI-E OverVoltage Control_ [+0.1V]
    FSB OverVoltage Control___ [+0.1V]
    (G)MCH OverVoltage Control [+0.1V +0.125V -+0.15V] << Start with +.1 if it errors move to the next up and so on

Yeah that is hot for NB. If I was you I would redo the paste underneath it. Often times the factory puts way to much or not enough, or not enough coverage with either too much or not enough paste. Use NON conductive, such as Arctic Ceramic, TX-2, or MX-2. I use TX-2 and always redo mine on all boards I get. If it is still running hot on your after that, or you do not want to do that, put a 40mm fan on it because if you cannot touch it for 10 seconds or longer it is HOT and can/will cause you issues

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information