Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: XEON support for P35-DS4

Default XEON support for P35-DS4

I have asked this question at gigabyte global technical service site, but so far they haven't even read my inquiry...
    I have a P35-DS4 rev.1.0 (BIOS F12) motherboard and I am planning upgrade from QX6700 to some 45nm quad core CPU. There is a problem however with availability of Q9450 and Q9550, to my surprise I can have X3350 or X3360 without any problem - the question is: will any of X33xx CPUs work on my motherboard? Perhaps some users already have some experience with such configurations?

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: XEON support for P35-DS4

Yeap they will work fine I am using a Xeon in my P35-DS4, and would have gotten a X3350 if they were not 350$. Yes I know people using the new X33 Xeons in Gigabyte boards, and I as I said am using a Older 65nm one, you will be fine, just flash to the latest BIOS F12 before you install the CPU.

It may work with F11, but incase you dont want to switch out CPU's twice best to flash in F12. Or if you dont care, I would say Try F11 first incase you do not need F12 and it has issues people have not posed about yet

I could not see spending 350 on one So I opted for the E3110 until a few months when I think the X3350 will be 250 or so. My E3110 will be here today
    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 05-12-2008 at 11:41 PM.

Sounds good, although I am a bit worried about my PCB revision (1.0)...
    BTW: how is multiplier set in Xeon CPUs? Is it limited like with other (non-extreme) Core2 CPUs or maybe entirely locked / unlocked?

Yeah limited like with all NON extreme ones, aside from older ES samples. The new 45nm CPU have fine clock ratio though, so that is a nice bonus. The X3350 Is a max multi of 8, so 6-8, but with the new fine clock ratio you can do 6.5, 7.5 as well

Thanks! The problem is that lowering multiplier does not make much sense with 45nm quad core CPUs - you will more likely hit an FSB-wall first than reach maximum CPU frequency...

Right! But sometimes lowering it can help if you want a certain FSB but keep the ram at a lower Mhz

Thread Information