Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: GA-MA69GM-S2H LAN problem

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: GA-MA69GM-S2H LAN problem

Well I would suggest a BIOS flash, but be warned as you know if you do it and something happens in the middle of the flash, or you flash the wrong BIOS you may need to RMA the board.

I would say if it was a older BIOS issue, you would like not see many reports about it because most flash the newer BIOS's often.

Do the flash with a floppy or USB in Qflash. NOT in windows, and BE sure you get the proper BIOS for your board revision

Do you have a router before you in the LAN? If so they time between limited connectivity and you having good connection may be just the time your router takes to assign you a IP in the network

As for getting a PCI lan card, there is nothing wrong with that. Other then the Duct Tape thing you mentioned. But that would save you from a RMA wait only to possibly get the same board returned to you as working!!!!

Lsdmeasap,

At the risk of taking the thread in another direction:

1. how often do most flash their bios (most folks in my world never even bother to re-install XP, let alone the bios)?
    2. I have no clue how to flash a bios,
    3. As for the floppy/usb issue, I do use an ide drive as a data folder for HD images and data. Would an ide drive work in place of an ide floppy?
    4. No router. Straight from cable jack to modem to my rig.

thanks,

leo

Well if you mean those folks, Never. People in the know and people who mess with things do often. I personally have flashed mine probably 6-8 times on this board. Sometimes going back to previous to test, sometimes reinstalling the same to clear bios profiles out

To flash, download the latest BIOS for your board and put it on a floppy or USB. You only need the file that ends with .FXX where x is the BIOS number. Leave the USb or floppy in the computer on the reboot to go into Qflash. Enter Qflash by pushing the END key at startup where you would enter the bios normally. DO not shut off your PC while the BIOS is updating, or do not flash during a storm or something like that

As for IDE drive instead of USB or Floppy, yes, but you will will have to format a section of it to FAT32, you could format out a 1GB section into FAT32 and put the file there. Then in Qflash you will just have to look thru each one of the options it shows you until you see the BIOS file, then select it and flash.

Hmm, well I would say if the BIOS flash doesnt help and you dont want to wait on a RMA then you should get a LAN card, but you could still have the same wait to get full connectivity. Maybe your firewall is slowing things down, have you tried with it disabled and rebooted to see if it slows things?

Flashed the bios! Way easier than I ever thought it would be.

The bad news: Lan is still not working.

I took your advice and disabled the firewall, no dice.

I managed to find a modem that has a USB connector that should be fine in the meantime.

I suppose the only way to find out what is really going on is to RMA the thing.

Lsdmeasap, you've been great. I really appreciate all the help.

Take care,

leo

Yeah, sounds like maybe RMA is your only hope. And even then you could risk them saying it works and maybe your OS is the issue, or something else all together we are not thinking of?

Glad to be of Some help even though it was not enough. Sorry I could not better help you find the issue. Maybe some windows files got messed up, if you want and do not mind reinstalling all windows updates (And you have a XP install disk) you can run a command to reinstall all windows files again clean without a repair (Which oftend oes more harm then good) using a simple command >>>>

sfc /scannow

And yes there is a space there and it needs to be there. If you dont mind doing the above mentioned things and have a XP install disk Open a run command (Windows Key + R) and copy paste that line above.

I know you said you did a full reinstall, but maybe with the driver already there for your system LAN windows will correct itself and not put in the file that is causing the issue. Just a thing to try if you want and are bored I suppose

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information