Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GA-MA69GM-S2H LAN problem

Default GA-MA69GM-S2H LAN problem

I am having major problems connecting to the internet (download speeds are VERY slow). Tested every possible combination and the problem is definitely the on-board LAN.

Just to be sure, I reinstalled XP pro, reinstalled the correct drivers, and still slow (my laptop using the same modem/same cables consistently downloads at 4836kb whereas the desktop barely does 453kb down, if lucky). Been testing sporadically for a few days and the laptop is consistent so I have ruled out my ISP or other equipment as the problem.

Also, several times within the last couple of days, the icon under "Network Connections" just disappeared completely and there was no trace in the device manager under network adapters.

If anyone has any ideas, I really appreciate it. I can't seem to figure it out...

-leo

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: GA-MA69GM-S2H LAN problem

Thank you for the very prompt reply, Lsdmeasap...

Yes. I have version 5.663.1212.2006 installed.

Gigabyte's support pages list it as the newest version for XP users (the slightly newer one is for Vista):
    GIGABYTE Motherboard GA-MA69GM-S2H (rev. 1.0) Driver Service.

I am using the first bios version because none of the updates appear to impact my system:

-not overclocked-
    AMD 4200 (AM2 x2)
    2 x 1GB Geil PC2 6400
    XP pro
    powercolor video card

It just doesn't seem to want to download data...

Well, I would say maybe you should update BIOS. Even though you do not see relevant fixes only the major fixed things are listed there is usually many smaller unlisted things fixed.

And on to the drivers, I meant chipset drivers, I see listed 8.38 3/07, and I also see a newer LAN driver then you stated 6.202.0125.2008. I would install both of the newest

The newer Lan driver is for Vista (I'm running XP).

As for the rest, you're probably right (the chipset and the bios).

As much I hate to admit it, this is unchartered territory for me. I'm going to install the newer chipset/Sata drivers and then hit the bios...

Thanks again man,

leo

Now I feel dumb!

I was relying on Gigabytes RSS feeds to keep me up to date on driver updates. After speaking to Gigabyte Tech Support (who rock, by the way), I realized:

1. the Lan driver is a licensed REALTEK product and not support-able via Gigabyte
    2. that the RTL/8169 and RTL8139 ARE ONE IN THE SAME!

SO TO EVERYONE WITH A GA-MA69GM-S2H MOBO:
    GO HERE: and download the up to date driver for your on-board LAN (RTL8169/8110 is really the RTL 8139...)

As of spring '08, the new driver is: 5.687.225.2008

I want to thank Lsdmeasap for all of the help on this one.

-Leo
    Last edited by Cableo; 05-14-2008 at 02:23 AM.

Yeap, I always get realtek from realtek, but I dont often suggest it because people tend to want to get drivers from Gigabyte page no matter what. Which is sometimes behind or has a version that has been found faulty and still they link to it, such as Intel Inf drivers, New or not at intel I think they keep the better working inf posted as opposed to Gigabyte page which is sometimes ahead and there should be no reason for a OEM place to be ahead of the actual company that makes the driver

Yeah,

Aside from the info lag, Realtek's site has you click on the disclaimer ("are you sure you really want to get your drivers from us, after all YOU DID BUY YOUR MOBO FROM THEM?!?!"), which, aside from giving me the same chill I get when I file Federal taxes online, sorta made sence...

That and downloading from Realtek requires a lot of patience (that was AFTER I got the Lan running right...).

Anyhow, thanks for the advice and thanksfor the chat. Hopefully, the next guy won't have to go to so much trouble.

leo

Yeap, anytime!

Feel free to holla back if you have any other issues and I will try to be of some help

PART DEUX:

Woke up this morning actually looking forward to installing the last of my software...

Once booted, the network icon in the task tray showed: "LIMITED OR NO CONNECTIVITY" (I immediately tested the connection on another system and everything came thru fine).

After messing around with the problem (disable/enable lan connection: no connection, reset the modem: slow connection, rebooting: slower still, resetting modem), I was finally able to get a decent connection.

I may have to flash the bios after all, but even then, no guarantees. Here are my options as I see them:

1. get a pci lan card to get by (or a wireless card by extension, but not to crazy about potential security issues; either of which just seem wrong in a "got duct-tape holdin' er together" sort of way),
    2. flash the bios and hope that fixes it (never flashed a bios before which introduces another level of risk, and if this were the problem how come other folks aren't having the same issue?),
    3. and if #2 doesn't work (which means I got a hardware issue and most likely a bum board), I'm either back to #1 or sending my mobo in to have it fixed (a whole other level of hassle)...

Am I missing something? Less importantly (but way more annoying), did I get a bum board or did I do something to it?

Thoughts?

Thanks,
    leo
    Last edited by Cableo; 05-14-2008 at 10:55 PM. Reason: spelling

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information