Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is my P35-DS4 dead?

Default Re: Is my P35-DS4 dead?

my 1st set of Crucials recently sucked hard and corrupted the BIOS of my 1st MoBo and have been RMA and my new board loves the Gskills....I'm afraid to even try to test the Crucials in my board when I get em back....Wanna buy some cheap ram?
    Take care,
    Rick
    GA EP35 DS3P w/ E6400 @ 3.2 Ghz, 2 x 2Gb G-Skill PC8000, XFX 9600GT, Corsair TX 650W

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Finally had time to box the board up and send it in when I made a $175 mistake.

Took off the cpu cooler, cleaned off the cpu and removed it, was attempting to wipe off the last trace amount of thermal paste off the cpu retainer real quick before popping in the socket protector which proved a fatal mistake. I snagged a pin on the socket. Got the jewler screw driver out to move said pin back into place, which it did but you could still tell it had been tampered with afterwards as the reflection of the base of the pin where it goes almost horizontal for a stretch didnt match when really inspecting it at all angles. So while trying to correct that, I managed to disrupt a couple surrounding pins making it noticeable from about any angle with a good look. Now physicly damaged and clearly against what they state is acceptable for RMA, it got stabbed with screw driver and thrown against the wall which relieved some stress for about a minute. heh. So that pretty much takes care of that board. Destined for the trash now.

So there it is. After building or at least doing a major update to my homebuilt machines yearly since the 386sx-16 days, this is the first motherboard I have had that ever went bad on me. I've never had a DOA one or anything over the years. Figures the one that finally goes bad is also the most expensive one I have bought as well.

The plus side, I dont have to worry about the wait RMA'ing the old one anymore...even though it did cost me a lot. I also thought about getting a different board since I have to spring for a new one now...was close to buying one of the Asus P5K series, but ultimately bought another DS4.

oh yeah...fogot to mention what I found with the board between ruining the socket then destroying the board. I gave it a real close look, everything looked fine, then popped off the heatpipe/heatsinks. on the one behind the I/O ports...the middle heatsink with the Gigabyte label on it...one of the chips it covers was popped. I'm guessing a mosfet chip? Anyways, that appears to be what initially killed it.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information