Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is my P35-DS4 dead?

Unhappy Is my P35-DS4 dead?

After a few months of use, one day it just decided to quit working. The computer turns on, cpu and video fan at 100%, but that's it. No post, no beep codes (I do have system speaker in the case), no monitor powering up, no nothing. It just powers up and doesnt do anything. I've done the following already...

1) stripped down computer to bare minimum stuff.... cpu + ram + video + hdd and that's it. Didnt work. Tried to clear CMOS and try it again, didnt work. Tried to clear CMOS and popped out the battery for a few minutes, didnt work.

2) borrowed power supply from another active computer, didnt work.

3) tested ram, cpu, power supply, and video in the other computer, all work fine leaving me to believe nothing wrong with any of those.

Anything else I could try? Everything seems to point to something on the motherboard going bad. Maybe BIOS chip or power component? Anyways, I started the submission already for RMA to Gigabyte since it looks like that is gunna be the end result anyways. Just checking to see if there is anything else I can do in the mean time.

Default Re: Is my P35-DS4 dead?

did ja kill the power to the board while the battery was out and resetting the CMOS? If not try that....And if it dont work still I say it's RMA time.
    Take care,
    Rick
    GA EP35 DS3P w/ E6400 @ 3.2 Ghz, 2 x 2Gb G-Skill PC8000, XFX 9600GT, Corsair TX 650W

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Yeah, I always unplug the power supply then put a hard drive jumper on the clear CMOS pins and let it sit for about 10 minutes

yeah. battery was popped out with no power on board as with any other work. haha, I dont want to shock myself on anything if nothing else.

try without HDD aswell (if you didn't just forget to mention that);
    a defective drive can easily block the whole system;

otherwise it pretty much has to be the board
    GA-Z77X-UD5H # F16-mod8
    i5-3570K # 4.1Ghz
    32GB Geil DDR3-1600 Evo Leggera
    Gigabyte GTX 660 OC
    Seasonic G-550

I gave it one last ditch effort since it has all been sitting unpowered for a day. Battery out cmos jumper shorted for about 30 minutes, my esata hdd even though it's just storage (would at least post and say not bootable if nothing was bad), dug up an old X800 vid card, and hooked up the power supply on the desk outside of the case, still nothing.

I have an RMA number from Gigabyte now, so I guess I will send it in. Luckily I have a cheap AMD based Dell I use as sort of an HTPC on my living room TV to record TV and watch downloaded movies on. I've moved that into this rig's place, changed up the settings and installed the usual crop of software I use on the desktops, so will have that at least in the mean time. Quite a difference going from nice new fast powerfull quiet machine to using a low end dell/amd based system that is a couple years old now. heh.

Crucial Ballistix DDR2-800. Doubt it was that. Like I said in the first post, system was running great for about 3 months, then nothing. Everything work fine in the other computer, and the other computer's cpu and ram didnt work on the DS4.

I have RMA number and board is getting shipped off monday. It's already broken down and boxed up, just no time to make it to UPS till monday.

Yeap, that is likely JUST WHAT IT IS! Crucial Used to be the best, now often dies or errors early causing you to need a RMA. And yes that is the brand I had in mind when asking about compatibility issues, they do have with GA boards.

While you wait you should RMA that ram for a refund and buy Mushkin or GSkill they are more compatible with GA boards. If you are a Crucial FTW person then you will have to learn the hard way I suppose. See my post #28 here >>>
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/p35-...tml#post251365

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information