Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: BIOS including RAM Questions

Default Re: BIOS including RAM Questions

I looked in the manual and used a screwdriver to clear CMOS. I then went into the BIOS and selected Load Optimized Defaults, and then went about configuring the BIOS. What I discovered was CPU Host Frequency that was 266 before is now 333, which is what you wanted.

Now, the BIOS has detected my RAM at the manufacturers specs of 5-5-5-15 and default voltage according to you is 1.8 and that is also with specs of 1.8-1.9. So, I don't see where anything has to be done with the timings.

Oh, and my manual says PCI-Express Frequency is 100MHz by default.

This is the first time in my entire life that I had to clear the BIOS and reload default settings. I am done with that scene.

Unless I have a problem, I will leave the timings alone.

What about Soft-Off? Instant Off or delay 4 seconds?

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Right!

Yeah you should always load and save/apply optimized defaults for a New BIOS or CPU. And with this being a fully new build you should have done the same as well. But at least you got it now

I still suggest you Manually set the ram timings and voltages, On auto that will bounce around while you are using your system to anything the board decides it wants to do.

The manual says that only if you leave everything on AUTO, changing one things changes that. ALWAYS set every board you own to 100 LOCKED. So Please manually do this, it could save you from a corrupt hard drive later on!!! Again, Auto is not Constant and could be 100 today yet 112 tomorrow if you do not set this yourself

As for Sort-Off PWR-BTTN that is up to you, it means your actual power button on your case. Instant off means soon as you push the power button on your case the System will begin to shut down. 4 Seconds means you will need to hold the power button down for 4 seconds to begin the shut down process (Like you used to HAVE to with some systems) Just a user preference really, so it is all up to you.

You jump around, too! I looked at your guide and see you suggested to use Delay 4 Seconds because that allows time for the disk drive buffers to flush--whatever that means. You even say this setting is "Highly recommended."

So, why the turn around from that suggestion?

When I was changing the timings, Performance Enhancement was set at the default Turbo, and I got a strong warning from the BIOS to change that. If I selected Standard, then the warning went away, but I left it at Turbo--maybe that was the reason it cycled and went screwy?

There was another warning--same as you stated to ignore in tweaking guide--and I ignored it as you said. Oh, that warning was about System Voltage NOT Optimized.

So, do you think I should change Turbo to Standard when changing the timings?

Just so you know that If you fully read my Guide you would see it is NOT MY GUIDE. I even asked for and got permission to post it here to help others and wrote about who wrote it and gave me permission at the begining and end.

I have not read that about the buffers, and yes that would be a good idea. I peronsally must have overlooked it, but I use the power button in my system anyway not on my case so I am all good.

I would say if you do use your actual power button then use the 4 seconds, either way shutting down your system like that 4 seconds or not makes windows have errors and will tell you it was not shut down properly. That is why I said it is up to you, most people rarely shut their system down this way so I thought it did not matter much. That is a good guide, but I have only read and or used the overclocking tips in it.

But yeah it is well written by a good guy, so best to follow his suggestion there

Performance Enhance should always be on standard unless you are not overclocking. Which is in the guide! J/K You should leave on standard because anything more makes changes at different times which you have no control over and will override your settings and mess things up

As for the warnings that one is warranted, but the rest of the voltage warnings you can ignore.

I really liked the Instant-Off feature, but if what he says is true, then I have to go with Delay 4 Seconds. I am not sure how important that is for my Hitachi hard drives because they park and un-park the heads.

Anyway, you convinced me to do the clear CMOS again, err, I mean, change RAM timings.

Seems like maybe not changing that Turbo setting caused the cycling problem (Turbo is the Default setting). Rather than mess around too much with the timings, after putting in the manufacturer specs of 5-5-5-15, how about me just manually setting the rest of what the BIOS shows? I know those settings are not quite what you suggest, but I could leave them on Manual setting and not fuss with it if not having any problems. Sound good to you?

I have to tell you that with my present system, I only set the first 4 settings for timings and haven't had a problem at all. I have the ASUS A8N-SLI Premium, AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Venice core, and Corsair 3200CPT (2GB) installed.

I have to go out soon, but I will change the settings when I get back, probably tonight. I really want to get this settled so I can load Vista.

Oh, one more thing, I probably should test the RAM before loading Vista, so how long do you suggest I run memtest?

By the way, I noticed CPU temp in BIOS doesn't give temperature for each core, states around 27C, and I know I need Real temp, but System temp in BIOS of around 35-36C seems a bit higher than I thought would be the case at idle in BIOS. What is the range for desirable system temp?

I forgot to ask, does increasing the voltage cause RAM to run hotter?

Oh, forgot to ask this as well, do I still need to Enable CPU Host Clock Control when BIOS already give 333 that I would put in myself? PCI-Express Frequency on my board is 100 by Default, and do I still need to manually make it 100? The above are optimized settings at Default (Except PCI-Express Frequency that is Auto) and are same as what I would put in, so I am not sure why I should mess with them.

I understand what you say about Auto, but the above are not on Auto setting, just Enabled or Disabled.

What the BIOS shows is wrong, and not even what it uses always on AUTO. I suggest manually doing them like I showed you, or at least close.

Yeah, turn off turbo for overclocking. You can leave them on auto but you wont get the most out of your ram, but if benchmarks are not important to you then you can leave them on auto. I would at least manually set the refresh to act and the static tRead values. The latter affects performance most. Try 7 or 8

And of course you should manually still set the ddr2 overvoltage control Yes that is the ram to what I suggested, and same goes for MCH and FSB as well.

You could run a pass or two of memtest if you want before vista, or just a half hour or so of test #2 and Test #5

The BIOS CPU temp is just the CPU not the cores, and yes 35 does sound high. Loads temps are what you need to worry about though. What cooler do you have? And did you apply the right amount, not to much, of paste? I would not worry about those until you get into windows and can check your load and idle temps of your cores

Yes, the ram will be hotter then at stock if you increase the voltages. But nothing over 2.1 is to hot to need a fan or anything so you are fine

Quote Originally Posted by JVM View Post
    Oh, forgot to ask this as well, do I still need to Enable CPU Host Clock Control when BIOS already give 333 that I would put in myself? PCI-Express Frequency on my board is 100 by Default, and do I still need to manually make it 100? The above are optimized settings at Default (Except PCI-Express Frequency that is Auto) and are same as what I would put in, so I am not sure why I should mess with them.

I understand what you say about Auto, but the above are not on Auto setting, just Enabled or Disabled.
    Yes, and YES FOR SURE Set it to 100 and forget it or pay later.

The CPU host clock control will and can change by itself while using your system if you do not set it, same goes for PCI express freq.

I am using a Ninja Plus on the E8400 CPU (applied AC5), but haven't put a fan on it yet--I am waiting to see if I need a fan on the Ninja. The CPU temp doesn't look bad at all, even though not reporting both cores. However, from what I read, the 45nm Core Duo series usually report higher than actual temps; thus, I don't think the CPU temp in BIOS is anything to worry about at around 27-28C. Now, the system temp at around 35C does seem higher than I like, but it depends what happens with OS installed on idle. The problem as I see it is getting hot air out of case. I have a passive 9600GT (no fan) and this motherboard I suspect runs a bit hot. So, I could try fan on Ninja to move air out or increase speed of rear case fan. What is the desirable temp range for System Temperature?

I want to make it clear that I am not over-clocking! So, please don't give me settings for that purpose. In fact, I have to ask you to confirm the settings you gave me are not for over-clocking. Are they for stock settings, no over-clock?

I see you suggested to turn off Turbo for over-clocking, but I am not over-clocking. The problem, I believe, that caused my cycling on-off when using your settings is because of that Turbo setting. When I switched it to Standard, the warning Performance Enhanced with Turbo went away--and that warning offered more but I forget what the rest said. Anyway, I don't want to keep clearing the CMOS, I want to load my Vista 64-bit Ultimate.

Just so I know, how do I select tests 2 and 5 in memtest?

As for your timings, assuming they are for stock settings (not over-clock), should I start with higher or lower numbers? For example, I see you suggest Static +Read Value 7-10 and my BIOS says 7 with Auto, does that mean I can safely start manually with 7?

I am not interested in benchmarks.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information