Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: BIOS including RAM Questions

Default Re: BIOS including RAM Questions

In addition to the above, I went into BIOS and changed a few things and then ran memtest for tests 2 and 5 for 6 passes and all was fine--at stock timings. After memtest I went back into BIOS and saw a very strange thing, my rear case fan and front fan would cycle on and off! I mean this was occuring steadily, very strange. I repeated that with case door off to adjust fan speeds and no problem with fan speeds going back to BIOS. The temps were fine with System temp at 32C and CPU temp at 29C. When I first went into BIOS, before running memtest, after several minutes my System temp was 29C and CPU temp was 24C. I will have to wait until Vista gets installed to see what develops.

If I adjust the memory timings, taking any of them off Auto, don't I lose that Dynamic Energy Saver feature? Not that it is a big deal, but since my timings look fine right now, I am not so sure I should change Auto for 5-5-5-15 that is present now. I am not over-clocking and feel it may be premature to mess with timings when I don't see any problems right now, although I haven't installed Vista yet.

What bugs me is your strong recommendation to change PCI-Express Frequency to 100 when the manual says default is 100. If default is 100, then I don't understand how that could be a problem.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

NONE of the settings I posted are for a overclock. And yes you should have a intake and exhaust fan for sure. And I would suggest a fan on your Ninja too, even if it is dead slow at least put one on there for some air movement. You need air to move to keep the NB and your ram alive.

If you are not overclocking (Which I KNOW you are not) then why do you keep wanting to turn on Performance enhance TURBO? That overclocks several settings with you having no control over them. I see the warning daily in my BIOS I know what you mean. Leave it OFF / On standard. For overclocking, or for NOT Overclocking, which you say you do not want. So leave it off

To select tests >>>
    1. First press C

2. then 1

3. then 3

4. and finally select the test that you want to run

5. press Enter

6. and then 0 to get it running

As I said before, what you see, what you are thinking IS AUTO, is not. It is just what your system is using RIGHT THEN IN THE BIOS. So do not go by What you see on the left for anything to even think about, or think that is what is being used when you use your system.

And yes, when I say 7-10, 10 would be your starting point, then work down. You maybe able to start with 6 even but I suggest against tryint without testing everything else, As I suggested those settings I posted as high starting points for you to change ONE AT A TIME. You cannot just go in and start setting low settings, you will never get stable AT ALL. You have to set things high, and then move them ONE AT A TIME and test after each move. Otherwise if you set them low, or move more then one at a time you will never know what is causing your system to not be stable

Your fans may be turning on and off because of whatever you choose in the fan control part of the BIOS, and or what type of fans you use. Be sure to set that the way you want it

The DES program will work no matter what you set the ram to, but it will not function if you overclock or use any of the turbo features or use easytune to change things. It is for saving energy, not overclocking and saving Energy. And the energy features by intel must remain on as well for it to work properly (EIST, TM2, C.I.A.2, C1E)

Default is 100, but default may change depending on your FSB, and with you not overclocking and leaving that on auto when your FSB changes with speedstep so you will PCI-e freq. Stop thinking about this and set it to 100, always should be done!!!! PERIOD.... FOR REAL

Thanks for the explanation. I now have a better understanding of why you suggest what you do.

The cycling of fans on-off only happened after running tests 2 & 5 of memtest and going back to BIOS checking fan speeds. When I repeated those tests and went back to BIOS again, the issue of cycling fans did not occur.

I have Smart Fan Control disabled, so that can't/shouldn't be the problem. All my fans are 3-pin type: Front, Rear, and PSU. I also have all temperature warnings disabled, don't have a speaker in my case and plan to use software for monitoring temps and fan speeds--not Easy Tune Pro.

I have a Scythe "E" 120mm S-Flex for rear controlled by a Zalman FanMate (around 920 RPM), Nexus 92mm controlled by Zalman FanMate for front (around 820RPM). Scythe rear is plugged into System 1 Fan header, Nexus front is plugged into System 2 Fan header, and PSU (Enermax MODU+82 625W) is plugged into Power Fan header.

I do have a Noctua 120mm that could be used for Ninja. The Noctua comes with a resistor cable that lowers RPM to around 600. I don't want to use another FanMate.

I didn't know Turbo was like over-clocking since it is the default setting. Thanks for letting me know!

You have said previously I could leave Advanced Timings on Auto, but do you have a strong reason for me to change them?

When you say change them one at a time, do you mean each setting in Advanced Timings separately or the Advanced Timing group all together one at a time starting with highest number? Also, when you say test them after each change, do you mean with memtest or OS or both?

I am pretty sure I read a review of this board that said taking settings off Auto prevents the Dynamic Saver feature from working, but I will have to find that review again and check it, not a big problem because I know it was one of two reviews I read.

I know of someone using the P35 DS3L board with Ninja and not using a fan on it, so unsure if really necessary for me to use fan, but not a big deal if I do--depends on temperatures. So far, last night System Temperature before running memtest was 29C, and after memtest was 32C. CPU was 24C before memtest and 29C after the test. I don't see those temps as any problem at this point.

In addition to above, are you suggesting I change the voltage settings one at a time individually or as a group? DDR2 Overvoltage, PCI-E Overvoltage, FSB Overvoltage, and (G)MCH Overvoltage.

Well some boards sys_fan2 has issues so that could be why yours either of them were going up and down then.

Advanced timings, yes best to change them manually becuase often times the AUTO sets them way to high and will make your ram be using only half its actual speed to exchange data. And even yet sometimes it will set them too tight and cause errors

I mean set all them high as I suggested, then move ONE timing at a time testing after each move. With Memtest86+ It will take you some time but you will be better off in the end

Taking the memory off auto does not affect DES, neither does the other cpu related settings not being on auto effect DES, as long as you leave your CPU on stock (Or where it was when you first installed DES) it will work fine. You also have to have on all the other stuf, EIST, TM2, C.I.A.2, and C1E.

Just so you know, you can overclock with DES, you just have to set your cpu overclock THEN install the DES software, but it would likely cause errors or failure overclocked anyway because it does change volts

Yeah THOSE temps are good, but your core temps at load is what you need to look at

First, both System 1 and System 2 fan headers were constantly going off and on while I was in BIOS after memtest, but repeating memtest and going back to BIOS presented the fans in working order without issues. This fan situation needs watching.

Just so I understand correctly, I am to change the Advanced Timings (sub timings) with all to highest number and test. Next, change only one setting to next lower number, such as Act to Act delay and test. Next, change Rank Write to Read Delay and test, and repeat for each setting changing one setting at a time. This is without tedious and boring. But, I shall obey the order given and proceed to boredom. I must say I have no idea why that should be the case. I have never adjusted the sub-timings and never had a problem with RAM. I have used ASUS boards in the past without any issues of stability. Are these Gigabyte boards that bad that they need all these adjustments to run normal when one does not over-clock?

Getting back to testing, what kind of testing with memtest? Just 2 & 5 for 30 minutes? I have not yet installed Vista.

yeah there is a thread here about it, and I think it is BIOS related because my DS4 sys_fan 2 used to not start until a good 10 seconds after the rest of the system, but now it is fine. Dont know which I was using or which I updated to that fixed it. Just know it used to long ago and now does not

Yeap, that is how you do it. Takes time but you will have a more stable system running at it's best. You can work on one setting each night, that way you dont get too board. That would be fine

No you do not HAVE to change subtimings, but it is best because AUTO often sets them way high, which brings your read/write and latency way down on your ram

Yeah, When I am making memory subtiming changes that is what I do, one setting ata time then memtest86+ test 2 and 5 for a half hour or so each. And yeah I do the same as I suggested work on a setting or two each night until I have them all where they are best and stable

You know you can take advantage of BIOS profiles, and use one for your "Working ON" and one for a "Default Stock AUTO" and just go back into the working one until you are done, then name it "Whatever Stable" Or name them whatever you want but just remember what is what. BIOS profiles are very nice and not many even use them or notice they can. On the main page you hit F11 to save, and F12 to load. Some have more space then others, but I think you will have 8 or so you can save and choose from anytime you want

Well, there wasn't a problem with the fans starting, they all started fine. I went into BIOS and made a peripheral change --all fans working fine--and then did memtest using Floppy for tests 2 & 5 and back to BIOS to check fan speeds and I saw the System 1 and System 2 fans constantly going off and on. I then rebooted to BIOS checked fans and they were fine, so I then ran memtest 2 & 5 again, went back to BIOS and fans were fine. I don't know if this was a quirky thing that will not occur again or will be an issue with this board. The F3 BIOS came on the board and is the latest one. I have the EX38-DS4 board.

All right, so you know your efforts have not gone in vain, I will begin the process of changing sub-timings and over-voltages (DDR2, PCI-E, FSB, (G)MCH). I am not sure why you want to change DDR2 Over voltage because manufacturer spec is 1.8-1.9

So, what's wrong with 1.8?

Also, I am not enabling CPU Host Clock Control because BIOS has correct 333 and someone said enabling is only for over-clocking.

What ram exactly do you have? And I say to set to 1.9 if it is 1.8 because AUTO is not always 1.8 and changes as you use your system. 1.9 would be a constant and closest to 1.8 always as opposed to AUTO which will vary often between the bios and the system and between load and idle depending on how your board feels at that time!

Install Vista already!!!!!

This is the RAM I have.

I don't really want to install Vista until I get the settings you suggested to work properly, mainly because I know Vista will consume all my energy learning, installing files and programs, etc. I don't doubt there will be issues with Vista and I don't need two issues to solve at one time. I will be installing the 64-bit version of Vista Ultimate.

Now, if you think I need to install Vista in order to test your settings, then that is a different scenario. Otherwise, I prefer to go at it one at a time.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information