Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: BIOS including RAM Questions

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: BIOS including RAM Questions

See spec on that ram is 2.0-2.1 so 1.9 would not be enough, I would use 2.0 and if it fails which it should not at 800Mhz use 2.1. But with it being 2x2 you may need 2.1 to start with, but you can try 2.0. Again 1.9 will fail for sure. Remember 52-62 for refresh to act, and add some MCH voltage fro 2x2 as well

Ahh I was wondering why you hadn't yet.

Na no need to I suppose until you get your ram stable if that is how you want to do things

Sorry, I linked to the wrong RAM.

This is the RAM I have.

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    Ok for your ram, I suggest +0.1V for 1.9V For the Subtimings and other voltages I suggest these as starting points >>>
    ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)_________3-4
    Rank Write to READ Delay________ 9-11 (may need higher, but not likely)
    Write to Precharge Delay_________ 3-5
    Refresh to ACT Delay______________ 52-62
    Read to Precharge Delay__________ 3-6
    Static tRead Value_______________ 7-10
    Static tRead Phase Adjust________ 1-31 Leave on Auto or 1-31 or 0

System Voltage Control____ [Manual]
    DDR2 OverVoltage Control__ [+0.100V]
    PCI-E OverVoltage Control_ [+0.1V] <<< For stability
    FSB OverVoltage Control___ [+0.1V] <<< For stability
    (G)MCH OverVoltage Control [+0.1V - +0.125/+0.150] <<< For stability, start with +0.1

Yes, disable Legacy USB storage Detect, and USB mouse and Keyboard (Even if you are using them they will work fine)

As for the internet, that does not matter, either way
    Why do you suggest 9-11 for Rank Write to READ Delay? I now have by default 3 Auto. So why so high and not aim for 3?

Also, you said in recent post to enable C.I.A.2, but manual shows either default disabled or settings ranging from Cruise to Full Thrust. And, the manual says this setting is for CPU Intelligent Accelerator 2 designed to automatically adjust CPU computing power to maintain system performance. C.I.A. 2 allows your system bus to be changed dynamically based on CPU loading through the use of 5 preset states.

Warning: Before using C.I.A. 2 please first verify the overclocking capability of your CPU. As stability is highly dependent on system components. When system instability occurs after overclocking, lower the overclocking ratio.

I don't understand this C.I.A. 2 in relation to energy saving when it seems to be more for overclocking, and I also don't understand why you say it has to be on--on to what?

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    Yeah, When I am making memory subtiming changes that is what I do, one setting ata time then memtest86+ test 2 and 5 for a half hour or so each. And yeah I do the same as I suggested work on a setting or two each night until I have them all where they are best and stable
    Just to be sure about this, you say stable but without installing Vista all I appear to be checking with memtest is errors. Is that all right to determine if settings are fine?

Again AUTO is not showing you what it uses! Period, stop looking at that and thinking that is the auto settings. If you do not believe me install memset and have a look and see >>>
    http://www.tweakers.fr/download/MemSet.exe

DO NOT USE TO change timings in windows until you know what you are doing, and yes you will need to have windows installed to use this. But trust me what you see in the BIOS on the left for memory settings is NOT what AUTO is using and will change from time to time. Just do not think of that as the AUTO setting, because it is not!!!

Leave on if not overclocking

Yes, once memory is stable you are fine since you are not overclocking you do not need to test anything else. But you can check your cpu and ram together in windows with orthos if you want once installed. But your cpu will be fine since you are not changing anything there.

1. I seem to recall you saying Auto shows what's being used at the moment, but now you say what Auto shows is totally meaningless. Which is it?

2. I have memtest and you should know that since I told you more than once I tested with memtest. So, what am I supposed to do with memtest to verify settings? I know memtest reports 5-5-5-15 and that is what Auto shows in BIOS.

3. I asked you before "On what?" C.I.A.2 does not have a simple on-off, there are 5 preset positions and disabled. What do you mean by ON?

4. BIOS reports on Auto for sub-timings:

3, 3, 6, 52, 3, 7, 17. And you say those numbers are not being used at the moment I see them?

5. If all I check with memtest is errors, what is the point of making changes one at a time without Vista installed? I asked you before if I needed Vista installed to check your timings and you said No.

I never asked or said I want to change timings in Windows. I said checking your timings with memtest only checks for errors, and how does that tell me about stability? The only way I can see to check for stability is using Vista, or am I mistaken?

Looking over what you wrote in last reply, you seem to be saying I need Vista installed to test your settings. But, when I asked you if I needed Vista installed to test your settings, you said NO.

Signed,
    Confused, Bewildered, and very unsure.

Both, it is what is being used sometimes at that exact second. Not what will be used one windows starts

MemSET is what I said and linked, not MemTEST. It is a application that allows you to see and change if you want live memory timings while in windows.

Leave it on the lowest setting, or disabled if you do not want to overclock. Which if you dont either way I would leave disabled because again it changes things on its own and does not make changes YOU SET. I appear to answer differently or maybe do becuase you have asked 10 times. It is simple leave it off, or turn it on and see how it affects your system, all systems whether they have ALL the same hardware or not will never act the same anyway. So everything I say is a well informed suggestion, that is all

you will make changes one at a time to get your ram timings the best that they can be without failure, it has nothing to do with a system installed or not. Too tight and they will fail system installed or not, too lose and they will not perform to their best system installed or not.

Checking timings can be done with the BIOS and memTEST86+ and LOOKING At them live with memSET is what I meant you need a system installed for

Stability with your ram is tested in MEMTEST86+ whether or not you have a system installed...If it fails there it will fail still if you have vista installed or not, same applies if it passes. Stability means NO errors which you would test in memtest, testing inside vista would be for cpu and or memory errors or both combined and would require orthos or similar. And if your ram is memtest stable and you are then testing something in vista you will know for sure when you get errors it IS not the ram because you have already fully tested it in memTEST for stability

I said, Vista installed to use memSET so you COULD SEE NOT TEST the fact that I say AUTO and or what you are seeing on the left when AUTO is chosen is not what your system will choose to use for a setting when it loads windows, and see that it also can vary. So basically I said yes you have to install vista to use memSET to SEE your AUTO settings and see that I am correct in saying that AUTO does not use what it shows you on the left in the BIOS

Apparently, from what I read, "experts" with Gigabyte boards will disagree about that Auto business. While you say no, there is at least one other who says yes :

"With the memory set to auto it will adjust the timings as needed to run at the specified speed. It won't change them unless it feels it needs to. When you start overclocking this will in fact make it easier as it takes the ram out of the equation to some extent. Once you max out the CPU and FSB you can see what timings it has selected for the ram and fine tune them, but at least you have some sort of baseline to start from. This has been the accepted practice on Gigabyte S775 boards for the past couple of years, at least as far back as the 965P chipset boards."

"The board will select the best ram timings that it thinks it can post at based on the spd of the ram. You can always tweak them to your hearts content, but it still is a good idea to start with Auto to get an idea what your specific hardware configuration can actually handle. Unless it can't post at the SPD rated timings it will use them if at all possible. The only exception is if you have high performance ram that requires more than the default vdimm when it will default back to 5-5-5-18 @ 1.8vdimm and you would need to manually raise the vdimm to 2.1 to 2.3 before setting the timings to 4-4-4-12 (or whatever your specific ram is rated for). That is by design so that the system will post and allow you to actually get into the bios since the SPD can only set the timings, not the vdimm."

So, to sum up, the timings may change, but that could be because the board is smarter than you think, and is trying to help.

The best thing I see is for me to leave the timings on Auto and run that memset to see the timings, assuming I can get to Vista.

Forgot about this "Checking timings can be done with the BIOS and memTEST86+ and LOOKING At them live with memSET is what I meant you need a system installed for"

I already asked how can I check my timings with memtest86+? I ran that to check my RAM and told you it showed what my BIOS said 5-5-5-15

So, what do you think about that? If there are other timings to see in memtest86+, let me know how I can access that information.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread Information