Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: EP35-DS4 Cold boot problem

GiggaByte is offline Member

Default Re: EP35-DS4 Cold boot problem

I also have this problem with the P35-DS4 (without the "E" for energy saver) ever since I got the E7200 and its driving me nuts..

OK. Damn. Put a GA-EP35-DS3 in yesterday (haven't sent the old card back).

Was going fine, seems faster. All settings Auto. Says the bios is EP35-DS3 S2

This morning. Started fine. Ran for 20m. Did a BSoD. Hit reset. Didn't start: stuck on Memo and nothing more. Waited 3m. Turned off. Turned on and started ok.

Have set bios settings to most conservative of yours above. Damn this is getting old.

Is it the RAM (I have tried 2 different combinations of 2G of ram with same ultimate results so maybe its the Geil ram?)? I also tried changing the video card. I have changed the disk drive. I haven't changed the dvd drive.

Quote Originally Posted by John337 View Post
    Ultimate result: Sent the motherboard back to Gigabyte via supplier. This one has a fault in the circuitry between the cpu and the ram. When its warm the connection is made. When cold it isn't.
    How did you find out that it had this fault? Is there any way to check for it? My board is having similar cold boot issues over 365 FSB, I don't want to RMA it unless it's absolutely necessary.

So, recording the fault.

I replaced the DS4 board which had shown 3 BSoD's and become more difficult to start (sometimes taking 10-15mins to get it to go) and had done two of the BSoD's within 15 mins of starting ok. Each BSoD had a different reason. This was despite having dropped back to 2G of ram after the earlier series of posts. I had done a lot of swaps (different video board, new disk drive) to try to isolate the fault and eventually concluded it MUST be the board.

The new board is a GA-EP35-DS3. It started fine yesterday when I put it in (all other hardware is identical including 4G of GEIL 5 5 5 15 ram again). This morning it started fine but ~15 mins later did a BSoD. Waited a minute. Hit reset. Reached Mem and stopped. Turned it off with front panel power switch. Waited 3 min. Turned on and started fine.

I note that even yesterday when it started up (the first messages are the Geforce startup) it often said Ceforce while this morning it said Geforce like the first time it started.

The new board reports its bios on startup as EP35-DS3 S2. I thought it should be 1.2 or 1.1.

The fault occurred with the auto settings for the bios so I have changed to the most conservative settings from the DS4 board:

Robust Graphics Booster___________ [Auto]
    CPU Clock Ratio ____________ 9x
    CPU Host Clock Control_ [Enabled]
    CPU Host Frequency (MHz)__________ [333]
    CPU Fine Clock Ratio_________ +.5
    PCI Express Frequency (Mhz)_______ [100]
    C.I.A. 2__________________________ [Disabled]
    System Memory Multiplier (SPD)____ [2.40]
    DRAM Timing Selectable_______ SPD __ [Manual]

CAS Latency Time________________ 5 5
    Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay_________ 5 5
    Dram RAS# Precharge Delay_______ 5 5
    Precharge Delay (tRAS)__________ 18 18
    ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)_________ 3 4
    Rank Write to READ Delay________ 3 18
    Write to Precharge Delay_________ 6 6
    Refresh to ACT Delay______________42 62
    Read to Precharge Delay__________ 3 6
    Static tRead Value_______________ 6 10
    Static tRead Phase Adjust________ 1 Auto

System Voltage Control____ [Manual]
    DDR2 OverVoltage Control__ [0.1]
    PCI-E OverVoltage Control_ [0.1]
    FSB OverVoltage Control___ [0.1]
    (G)MCH OverVoltage Control [0.1]
    CPU Voltage Control_______ [Normal]

And a few minutes later it BSoD'd me. IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL tcpip.sys.

So I:
    removed all extra connectors from the board (including leds) except:
    - cpu 8500
    - 2 1G 5 5 5 15 Geil sticks
    - main and 12V power connectors
    - reset button, power button
    - Sata to WD500G drive
    - power for 2 Noctua fans (in last system I took this off the psu not off the board so I doubt they're an issue).
    - 7900 PCIE graphics card (which was replaced briefly on the other system with a 7300 but still had the same issues)

Then I reset cmos by shorting with screwdriver.
    Then I set enhanced defaults.
    Then I set to the "conservative settings" above but also set Performance Enhance to Standard.

I note that it is now saying Geforce in the startup not Ceforce.

Please Computer Gods, let this be stable. Started twice in this mode (hot) and both times first word was Geforce.

Edit: Note I replaced the sata cable just in case by some freak it was causing the problem. Note also that this power supply (650W antec blue) and all its cabling replaced the original Sonata power supply after the original fault showed up (thought it might be the psu and lsd suggested a better psu was a good investment).
    Last edited by John337; 06-17-2008 at 11:17 AM.

A question for Lsdmeasap or GIGABYTE - Janus Yeh:

I confirmed that my board is a Rev 2.1 (top left hand corner of card) so why is the bios saying EP35-DS3 F2 not F12 or F1.2 as I would expect from the bios page:
    GIGABYTE - Support - Motherboard - BIOS - GA-P35-DS3 (rev. 2.1)

Note current temps: cpu 22c, mother 43c, video 46c hd0 33c, ram feels cool, room temp around 22c.

The trauma continues. Touched key on kb after having not touched computer for 45minutes. BSoD again. Same message except no mention of tcpip.sys. About H/ware only.

Changed keyboard and mouse. Changed cable to router and changed router port. Disconnected microphone and speakers from case.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

.1 on the ram is likely not enough. Just thought I would point that out to you incase you are still trying to use it.

You say you have a GA-EP35-DS3 2.1? Then yeah your BIOS should be F11-12

What does CPU-z Say your BIOS version is? It is in the Mainboard Tab as shown below for my board (Just posted the link and image incase you were unaware of CPU-z Dont mind me ) >>>

CPUID

I do see you linked the P35-DS3 page and not the EP35-DS3 so that is why I asked for sure which you have as the EP35-DS3 does have F1 and F2 as bios versions >>>
    GIGABYTE - Support - Motherboard - BIOS - GA-EP35-DS3 (rev. 2.1)

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

What you can do is disable the BSOD auto restart feature so you can see and post the errors here. To do this, go into control panel, system then startup and recovery in the advanced tab and Uncheck Automatically restart. Then you can see and write down the error # or names

I often see BSOD caused by Nvidia drivers, but TCPIP.sys is a system driver used for connecting to the internet so that is not a nvidia driver for sure.

Thanks for pointing out I had the wrong board number. Yes I have the EP so the F2 makes sense. Nice to have one issue out of the way.

Your recommendation on the DS4 was to raise all the voltages by 0.1 Do you think I should use a higher level.

Note: When I changed the keyboard, mouse, lan cable and router port I also changed these bios settings on the assumption that these are more conservative than the optimum settings:

No-execute memory protect ... disabled
    C1E ... disabled
    TM2 ... disabled
    EIST ... disabled
    Virtualization ... disabled

Please advise if those are mistakes also :)

Note: I have made the bsod, wait for me to write down the issue change. I don't think its the nvidia side because (a) i have not seen it mentioned in the messages, and (b) I have changed the card from 7900gs to 7300gs. If I keep getting it despite all the changes my next step is probably to change to an older matrox card as i am running out of things to change (that + an old non-geil 1G ramstick which was already show not to solve the problem with the ds4).
    Attached Images Attached Images EP35-DS4 Cold boot problem-cpuiz-png 
    Last edited by John337; 06-17-2008 at 12:53 PM.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread Information