Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: EP35-DS4 Cold boot problem

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: EP35-DS4 Cold boot problem

You can leave on No execute memory protect

Virtualization is a user choice only needing to be on if you use vmware or other virtual PC programs where you would run a 32bit system within a 64bit system or visa versa.

What ram are you using? YOu say 4gb first in your Orig post then in post #3 you say 2x1

So just to be clear what brand and amount is it again you are using again now, then I can suggest some more certain settings

I am using 2x1 G of 5 5 5 15 GEIL (1G PC2-6400 DDR2-800 CL=5 5 5 15 Voltage 1.8V)

Originally I was using 4x1G of same on the DS4 board then dropped back to 2x1G after our earlier attempts to solve the problem. Ultimately things got slowly worse so figuring I'd eliminated most things I bought a less expensive EP35-DS3 board to substitute. I first put 4x1G in it yesterday but this morning dropped back to 2x1G on the "lets get it as simple as possible and try to find the point where it is stable" view.

Note that both sets of 2x1 ram work fine in my older e6600 GA965P-S3 combination.

Ahh ok, I would suggest then like you said I said +0.1 on them all

You should be fine with 4gb just remember you will need to likely add more MCH and more refresh to act

FWIW (short sample), since switching the keyboard and mouse and pulling the speakers (viewsonic screen) and microphone out I haven't had another issue. Left it off for 90mins and restarted ok. Still saying Gigabyte rather than Cigabyte on first line so thats promising.

I have gone back to 4G of ram to put pressure on the system (see if these hardware changes are really making a difference).

I've got Refresh to ACT Delay set to 62 and MCH at +.1 currently. With this board the +.125 and +.15 options are not available ... next step is 0.2

What do you think?

Note: been running MemTest (while in windows) for last two hours (on 2nd loop, 3 copies to cover 3.5G)) and its running clear. Rarely was it clear in the earlier tests ... so has some damned bit of minor hardware been screwing things up?
    Last edited by John337; 06-17-2008 at 04:57 PM.

Well that would sound like maybe ones of those item's drivers could have possibly caused a issue.

As for your voltage options you will just have to see how .1 works, If it starts to fail .2 is still safe anyway. As a precautionary measure for increased FSB and or MCH values I personally would remove and redo the thermal paste on the NB with some non conductive paste. I found on several boards (As I always redo mine first thing before I even put the CPU in) many of them either had FAR too much paste or too little paste. Usually the case was far too much paste and improper coverage of the chip. All up to you though, but it is something simple you can do to ensure your NB temps stay cool

I will haul the stock heatsinks off this weekend and give them a dose of my mx2.

Started this morning perfectly "Gigabyte", no hesitation, no BSoD. Did I simply have a dying mouse that was sucking more and more power from my board (but was worst when cold???)?

I will start to add stuff back (starting with the DVD) and run for a couple of days between significant additions. Then the speakers and microphone. Next will be the leds for on/off and disk drives. Last, if all of that works I might still try the old mouse and keyboard again.

Hmm well maybe that mouse had a small short in it and somehow that only messed up when cold? Strange things can happen as you know.

Ya, I would test the old mouse right off the bat and see if that was the issue indeed or not

GiggaByte is offline Member

I really don't understand this how it boots cold with no problems with the E4500 but won't with the E7200, it will loose the overclock but keep the volts and will fail to POST unless I let it sit in bios for a minute then set the overclock.... but yet Iam not seeing Asus boards do this to E7200's so I don't know whats at fault, CPU or the board..

Are you clearing CMOS and then saving and loading optimized defaults then rebooting before making changes between these CPU switches?

If not, that could be why, along with some other minor settings you may be overlooking 45NM and 65nm cpu's are very different and a CMOS clear would be needed fro sure each time you switched

What is the boot sequence (is this documented somewhere?)

I ask because I have observed that the Gigabyte / Cigabyte issue appears to be affected by the current mouse drivers - which would suggest that the bios accesses the mouse drivers from the OS early in the boot sequence. I'm not sure whether this observation is just random luck or there is really something happening here (I've been swapping mice after observing that a new logitech marble mouse to replace my old one may create a different behaviour than then temporary ms ps2 mouse I was using).

Lsd I am also trying to understand if there is anything on the hd (Os stuff) that impacts the startup sequence before it gets stuck on Memo (in the Memory runs dual channel interleaved line) or before it declares the details about the graphics card if it starts having the problem again.

Also, when it says Cigabyte instead of Gigabyte ... is that error coming from the graphics card (palit 7900GS) or from the main card.
    Last edited by John337; 06-19-2008 at 06:52 AM.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread Information