Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: EP35-DS4 Cold boot problem

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: EP35-DS4 Cold boot problem

Boot sequence? It is whatever you set it as in advanced options, boot order.

Sorry but to answer your main question I have't a clue when it would load or pickup the main mouse driver, I do know a "General" one is used for the BIOS and DOS files to have mouse access at times. But dont quote me on that, As I know some dos apps you may actually need to load a driver to use. So overall I am not sure at all about that question

As for Cigabyte, that could be ram related or GFX card related or a combination of both

Have you ran any benchmarking tools on your Graphics card to see if it artifacts or errors when it gets hot, or in general anytime? Is your PSU enough to handle the cards 12V rail requirement?

GiggaByte is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    Are you clearing CMOS and then saving and loading optimized defaults then rebooting before making changes between these CPU switches?

If not, that could be why, along with some other minor settings you may be overlooking 45NM and 65nm cpu's are very different and a CMOS clear would be needed fro sure each time you switched
    I have done that, about 5 out of 10 failed POSTs due to cold boot it will refuse to POST and a CMOS reset is needed, I have done that and loaded optimized defaults as well as reflashing bios F12 multiple times. Tonight I am going to take everything out and put it all back in, I read a post here recently about someone else with the same cold boot issue RMAing the board and there was a fault that the current coulden't get from point A to point B when cold, but when warm the current got temporailly patched. I do not think this is the same problem with mine because if it was it would fail to cold boot with any CPU, so far the 65nm E4500 and 90nm Pentium 4 630 are NOT failing to cold boot, just the 45nm E7200.

Ahh well I meant when switching from 45nm to 65nm cpu's, but I do see you got what I meant when I said that though

Maybe you need more vcore for your 7200, What's ALL your settings you are trying that keep failing?

Robust Graphics Booster___________ [Auto]
    CPU Clock Ratio ____________ [9]
    CPU Fine Clock Ratio_______ [0.5]
    CPU Host Clock Control_ [Enabled]
    CPU Host Frequency (MHz)__________ [411]
    PCI Express Frequency (Mhz)_______ [100]
    C.I.A. 2__________________________ [Disabled]
    Performance Mode_________________ [Standard]
    System Memory Multiplier (SPD)____ [2.00]
    DRAM Timing Selectable_______ SPD __ [Manual]

CAS Latency Time________________ 5
    Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay_________ 4
    Dram RAS# Precharge Delay_______4
    Precharge Delay (tRAS)__________ 15
    ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)_________ AUTO
    Rank Write to READ Delay________ AUTO
    Write to Precharge Delay_________ AUTO
    Refresh to ACT Delay______________ AUTO
    Read to Precharge Delay__________ AUTO
    Static tRead Value_______________ AUTO
    Static tRead Phase Adjust________ AUTO

System Voltage Control____ [Manual]
    DDR2 OverVoltage Control__ [+0.30V]
    PCI-E OverVoltage Control_ [Normal]
    FSB OverVoltage Control___ [Normal]
    (G)MCH OverVoltage Control [Normal]
    CPU Vcore Loadline Control___ [Enabled]
    CPU Voltage Control_______ [1.3625v]
    Normal CPU Vcore______ [1.1500v]

Those timings and volts on the RAM are stock and its 12 hour memtest stable, entire system is 9 hour prime95 stable on small FFT and blend. I tested multiple times and VTT or NB volts are not needed, even with +0.1v to each it still failed to cold boot. I only need NB volts to +0.1v when performance mode is on extreme because of the low strap, on standard its been tested up to 422 FSB and still does not needs NB volts. 422 FSB is 4Ghz which it can do stable but I don't like the 1.392v on the CPU because the limit is 1.3625v, 4Ghz will fail to cold boot as well.

Yeah, 4Ghz is pretty high for that CPU

I would still suggest that you need some MCH voltage either way with 2x2gb. And likely manually set refresh to act as well 52-62. What does Memset show that you are getting in windows for refresh to act?

You may need some WC or a better cooler? I am not sure really, I dont see many of those hitting 4GHz so it is likely the top end or to high of a top end for that CPU

With a better cooling solution you would likely not need that much Vcore, or you just have a chip that is volt hungry

I would set all your ram timings manually, on high/loose settings to be sure the ram is out of the picture then add some MCH and FSB and see if you really need that much vcore.

I say that because that does seem awful high for getting to 4ghz, I mean we have pretty much the same CPU aside from some coding and extra cache and I only need 1.296-1.312. What is your VID?

I do see after looking around abit that most need 1.37+ to do 4Ghz on water

Tried adding MCH volts and it had no effect, I will try setting refresh to act to 55 before I turn it off and leave it off for 5 hours so it starts up cold. I do not have memset but I do have Everest, shows pretty detailed timings. http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/h...129/sdfsdf.png

E7200 needs a little more vcore than the E8xxx series just as the E4xxx did over the E6xxx. E7200 is supposed to be a chip that failed as a E8xxx so Intel disabled half the cache that was causing the instability, so these are usually needing a little more vcore for their clocks. On load with a Zalman CNPS9700NT (vcore load is 1.344v) I get 65c, thermal spec is 74c. At 4Ghz I get 68c load. Many of these can get 4.1Ghz+ on air but thats over 1.40v and I don't want to risk the life span of mine as 45nm's are picky once over 1.36v.

I have seen a few chips that wanted 1.38v for same 3.9Ghz and some that wanted 1.328v for 3.9Ghz, so I consider mine an average chip as its slapped in the middle of the good and bad.

Went as high as +0.2v to MCH and FSB volts with no effect on needed vcore or cold boot POST failure. Iam trying to stay away from FSB volts as that also has been proven to kill 45nm's once around the 1.40v mark, the most I would do is +0.1v for 24/7 and +0.2v for testing.

You have an Xeon which you can say is a golden E8xxx lol. They are pretty much a cherry picked E8400 and programmed to appear as "Xeon E3110" while they jack the price up on them. Actually looking at Intel's site you are already over your vcore limit of 1.225v eek... such a low limit.. and my VID is 1.150v, the vcore displayed in bios as normal CPU vcore is the VID.

Incase you want it, here is memset. You can if you like change memory timings LIVE for testing settings. All but CAS can be changed live. WATCH OUT!!!

New memory tweaker for chipsets Intel. - XtremeSystems Forums

FSB voltage termination is what kills 45Nm cpu's, something you have no control over so do not be worried about changing actual FSB voltages it is not the same value

My XEON was, same as my last XEON 3075, 20$ cheaper then the counterpart

1.35 was 65nm limit and we all used 1.45-1.50 as a max. I see 1.35-1.40 as my "Safe" range, but same as with 65nm I would go above it but do not need to

It may as I said just be that you have reached the limit for your CPU with that cooler. I just sold my 9700 and set water. But I did have the same overclock so heat was not a huge factor in my decision but it has helped

Note: Problems have occurred three times since.

Twice it locked up and froze in WinXP. One of those times it only got as far as Mem in the boot sequence. So I downloaded slightly later nvidia drivers from palit and installed them.

Then, tonight it BSoD'd but didn't fully get the full bsod message out!! This time also I had to power off for a few minutes to restart.

Note that my cold starts have been fine. So its just crashes since I got rid of the original logitech marblemouse and keyboard.

I disconnected the DVD again and reduced the ram to 2G. Lets see what happens next. Is it at all possible that the e8500 could be faulty in a way that would cause this?

Note: the psu is an antec 650W blue so its got heaps of grunt.
    Last edited by John337; 06-19-2008 at 05:10 PM.

No, it is likely a driver or setting issue.

Did I tell you how Or do you know how to disable automatic restarts so you can see the BSOD error code and messages?

If not let me know and I will tell you

Also, I would ALWAYS get my drivers from the source when possible >>>
    http://www.nvidia.com/page/drivers.html

If you need any Older one go to laptopvideo2go
    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 06-19-2008 at 05:13 PM.

What Iam going to do before I go to sleep is set MCH and FSB volts to +0.2v, set refresh to act to 55, set RAM to 6-6-6-18 even though they are solid stable at their stock 5-4-4-15. Then turn it off and let is sit untill I wake up and await my cold boot results... I also just reflashed F12 bios and cleared the DMI data pool at the same time, I can only reflash F12 rather than go to F11 then back to F12 as F11 don't support E7200. Yes I did load optimized defaults and save/restart first thing

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread Information