Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: EP35-DS4 Cold boot problem

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: EP35-DS4 Cold boot problem

YOu can try refresh to act 62 to be sure it isnt the ram.

But as I ramble if you have seen or not, I say OCZ and Crucial have issues with GA boards, but if you dont have or cant borrow any other ram you can be sure that isnt it either

GiggaByte is offline Member

I have 4 sticks of Kingston Value 512MB in my other system that was in this board for a few months with no problems, if what I do tonight doesn't work then ill try using those RAM. Crucial and OCZ having problems with Gigabyte boards is new to me, out of those having cold boot issues there was several from almost every brand of DDRII RAM out there. Ill set refresh to act to 62.

Lsdmeasap,

What do you recommend for testing the graphics card please?

Ahh well 3dmark is good, but I am not so sure how much the free version tests. Try this out >>>
    OpenGL Fur Rendering Benchmark Download - EXTREME Overclocking

Here is a full list of GFX benchmark tools at same place. By the way that Fur test above will get HOT to watch your temps especially if you run full screen which you should do to test >>>
    Benchmark Programs - EXTREME Overclocking

OK. So with 2G of ram and the recommended conservative settings. Also with the latest drivers from Nvidia (175.16) after running graphics tests (fine) for a while I turned the system off. 15 minutes later I turned it back on. ~15 mins later it locked up (everything still on screen but no response to mouse or keyboard).

So,
    I've changed mouse and keyboard (even went to usb mouse).
    I've disconnected all peripherals and cables except the dvd, disk, lan, and graphics. I have now disconnected the dvd, I have changed the disk twice with no improvement, I changed the lan cable and port on the router.
    Now I have also disconnected the power on and reset buttons (hard settings in the bios) I also removed fan power from mb and put them on a separate output from the psu.

So only connections to the mb are:
    - palit 7900GS, e8500, sata to brand new disk drive, power cables (2 to mb, one to 7900).
    - 2x1M 5 5 5 15 Geil ram (different sticks to when it last failed).

Bios settings changed to:
    Load failsafe defaults
    No execute to Virtualization all disabled
    usb off,
    all power ons disabled except AC Back function = Hard On
    All MIT as per failsafe except all of the recommended voltages at +0.1

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

If it continues I will:
    1) change the graphics card to a 7300GS instead
    2) change the ram to a 1G generic stick
    3) swap this cpu with an e6600 I have in an older 965P-S3 gigabyte board

The other question I'd ask LSD, would be: "what would you recommend I buy if I just wanted to try 2 1G sticks of 1066 ram (something really reliable in the DS3 and DS4 boards). Similarly, what would you recommend for 2 1G sticks of 800M and 2 2G sticks of 1066M ram?

I suspect that I will end up giving up trying to get this ram to run in these two boards.
    Last edited by John337; 06-19-2008 at 08:23 PM.

You should load optimized defaults, not failsafe. Then reboot and go in and make your changes. Failsafe may be shutting some things down.

When you say conservative settings, do you mean highest I stated or lowest? Should be highest

My ram Suggestion would be Mushkin, Black or Blue models. If you would like me to pick some model #'s for you to look at I will but I wont be back for a while, so I will see you then

GiggaByte is offline Member

Still failed to cold boot.. this time it gave me 3 very short beeps all within 0.5 seconds then it stays at a black screen. Had to clear CMOS to remedy that.. going to take everything out and put them back in.. after that try a different overclock. If I still get the same results I might try to RMA after I move which is in 10 days...

Well all I can think of it two things. Have you tested the sticks on another board to see if they were DOA? Other then that it would have to be compatibility issues like I often see

Quote Originally Posted by John337 View Post
    OK. So with 2G of ram and the recommended conservative settings. Also with the latest drivers from Nvidia (175.16) after running graphics tests (fine) for a while I turned the system off. 15 minutes later I turned it back on. ~15 mins later it locked up (everything still on screen but no response to mouse or keyboard).

So,
    I've changed mouse and keyboard (even went to usb mouse).
    I've disconnected all peripherals and cables except the dvd, disk, lan, and graphics. I have now disconnected the dvd, I have changed the disk twice with no improvement, I changed the lan cable and port on the router.
    Now I have also disconnected the power on and reset buttons (hard settings in the bios) I also removed fan power from mb and put them on a separate output from the psu.

So only connections to the mb are:
    - palit 7900GS, e8500, sata to brand new disk drive, power cables (2 to mb, one to 7900).
    - 2x1M 5 5 5 15 Geil ram (different sticks to when it last failed).

Bios settings changed to:
    Load failsafe defaults
    No execute to Virtualization all disabled
    usb off,
    all power ons disabled except AC Back function = Hard On
    All MIT as per failsafe except all of the recommended voltages at +0.1

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

If it continues I will:
    1) change the graphics card to a 7300GS instead
    2) change the ram to a 1G generic stick
    3) swap this cpu with an e6600 I have in an older 965P-S3 gigabyte board

The other question I'd ask LSD, would be: "what would you recommend I buy if I just wanted to try 2 1G sticks of 1066 ram (something really reliable in the DS3 and DS4 boards). Similarly, what would you recommend for 2 1G sticks of 800M and 2 2G sticks of 1066M ram?

I suspect that I will end up giving up trying to get this ram to run in these two boards.
    So, where am I at?

I did one extra thing to eliminate windows problems. I rebuilt with an older SP2 OS and did a clean install of everything including the nvidia 175 drivers the day after the last post. At this point I needed the dvdram drive and have left it in since. I also turned the "keyboard on" option back on so that suspend would work.

Before the clean install I had no problems. Since the clean install I have had no problems.

I suspect that the cold start related to high current draw. I think my mouse may have been part of the problem but the "real" problem may have been the power or reset buttons on the case. Or it might be the ultimately conservative bios settings.

I also added the speakers and microphone back in yesterday. That means I have a fully working system. So I will run with this all week and see if any issues arise. If they don't then I will move to the optimised ram settings. Then if that is solid for a few days I will move to 4G of ram again. I can do without reset and power switches, the power and disk leds and the front panel interfaces for now.

Let the system remain stable!

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread Information