Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Driver needed for AHCI?

Default Driver needed for AHCI?

I read on another forum that with Vista you don't need to install a driver for AHCI:

"Since it sounds like you are installing vista, just use AHCI. Vista has built in support for AHCI, even in the installer. It will work fine without any intervention on your part.

The only reason to use the IDE mode is if you are using an older OS without support for AHCI."

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: Driver needed for AHCI?

Vista has support for AHCI features, one I know being NCQ, a Pre OS install driver is needed

The only reason I see to use AHCI is if you want to Hot swap your drives, or if you want a slower boot time...... which you need to install the driver during OS installation.

If your drive supports NCQ it will be used in vista with no additional drivers

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    Vista has support for AHCI features, one I know being NCQ, a Pre OS install driver is needed

The only reason I see to use AHCI is if you want to Hot swap your drives, or if you want a slower boot time...... which you need to install the driver during OS installation.

If your drive supports NCQ it will be used in vista with no additional drivers
    Sounds good to me. I don't need a slower boot time, so I'll stick with Native IDE, which is SATA, not really PATA, but SATA.

I have been confused too about which modes to use. Still confused. IDE, but not legacy IDE? I get the part about only using AHCI if I need to hot swap.

Yeap IDE but not legacy, it is just how GA chose to word the BIOS. It is still SATA

Thread Information