Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: My X38-DS4 (Rev 1.0) Experience To Date

Default My X38-DS4 (Rev 1.0) Experience To Date

Bought my first ever Giga board early Feb '08. Used it for 2 weeks and encountered various problems, a lot of which have been written about in various threads.

I took it back to the retailer for testing. I received a replacement board (same model) last week after 11 weeks.

I also used the Giga tech site, which didn't solve anything, although I was told directly that the x38 boards are defective. I have the transcript of the on-line conversation.

Anyway, these are the main problems I have been having with the board. Number one in the list is the one that has been driving me bonkers the most.

1. Overclocking corrupts the BIOS image on the chip (Main BIOS Checksum error).

The system then has to recover the original image from the backup BIOS. Ok, that is good to have, but how can overclocking corrupt the BIOS image? Sure, if the board can't handle the settings, it should spit them out and revert to default settings for the existing BIOS. But an overclock corrupting the BIOS?.. NEVER heard of it before this board! I have lost count of the number of times I have had to flash back to the most current BIOS. With the BIOS corruption, I also lose all of my profiles. It has become a complete waste of time even storing them. I have had ASUS, DFI and MSI boards and this BIOS corruption has never happened with any of those boards.

2. The VDimm always shows incorrectly.
    I know it can't be totally accurate, but it's annoying to have to use 3rd party programs and not get a proper reading in the BIOS.

3. Constant sleep and restart problems when overclocking.
    If my board is suspend-capable, I want to be able to use the function, damn it!

4. CPU EIST function goes missing from the BIOS.
    I presume this might happen when overclocking, but why hide this item instead of just showing it as disabled?

5. Easytune shows my graphics card as being overclocked. I haven't overclocked it, so how is this happening? How do I know if maybe the overclocked video card is not contributing to failed overclocks?

6. Can't access M.I.B.2 in Easytune. How come?

7. Still trying to work out how to get RAM to work in a stable fashion when overclocked a bit. Yes, I'm following the guides etc, but having a battle.

I've had these issues with the original board and now its replacement. No doubt another board with the same design would give similar results. One negative experience can taint a consumer's view of a whole product line.

Steve
    Last edited by stevez; 05-16-2008 at 09:41 AM. Reason: Show sig. & remove RMA references and negative references to tech support.
    X38-DS4 BIOS F3, CPU Quad 6600 G0, Thermalright XP90 Cooler,
    OCZ SLI-Edition PC-6400 2 x 2gb, Leadtek 7900GT w/Accelero S1,
    Samsung 500gb HDD, Creative X-fi Audio, Pioneer DVD, MSI CD/DVD
    Corsair HX-620 PSU, Thermaltake Xaser Case w/4 fans, Dell 1905P 19" Monitor,
    Windows XP Pro SP3

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: My X38-DS4 (Rev 1.0) Experience To Date

If you would like some suggested settings, let me know

Are you by any chance using Tracer ram?

Thanks for your reply.. sorry I forgot to tick the box to show my signature, so now it's added.

No, I'm using OCZ DDR2 800 2 x 2gb. I've been looking at the recommended settings and using those and relaxing the timings for overclocks etc.

I decided to go one step at a time and to find the highest/tightest settings for FSB, CPU speed, RAM speed and tightest RAM timings, just concentrating on one thing at a time. I just haven't been able to avoid the BIOS corruption problem at this point. It happens maybe in one in 6 overclocks on average, and it is both weird and annoying!

I don't want to return this second board and get a third one the same. It wouldn't be any different in my opinion. If I can't get it to settle down using reasonable (not extreme) overclocks, I'll just move on to something else.
    Last edited by stevez; 05-16-2008 at 09:43 AM. Reason: Remove RMA reference
    Windows XP Pro SP3

Are you using high enough tRfc (refresh to act)? And are you trying to use 6 for performance level Static tRead? If so that could be your issue

Lsdmeasap,

Yes, Ive been trying out a range of settings, starting out high and bringing them down gradually. Static tREAD is at 9. tRFC is at 60, but I think I can lower that a bit. I've been having more success recently. I swapped out the OCZ PC-6400 2 x 2gb for some Crucial PC-8500 4 x 1gb (yeah, I know you don't like Crucial ) and the system is far more stable. So far, I've only had one instance of BIOS image corruption in about 30 overclock adjustments. Maybe things will continue to improve. So now I'm just gonna play around to see how far I can stably go. I'd rather just do a decent overclock with minimal voltage adjustments. I want these components to last for quite a while.

Steve
    Windows XP Pro SP3

Well actually it is not so much a preference of mine, but what I know works and what does not work well with GA boards, OCZ and Crucial both have GA issues. but good to hear you are having some better luck

i have 2 gigs crucial on this board, and its had amazing performance
    its the more expensive highspeed Crucial sticks that have the problem, i dont know why
    PC6400 @ 1066 here :P
    Intel Core2Duo E6750 @ 3.52Ghz ('Conroe') - stock voltage!
    Gigabyte GA-P35-DS4 rev. 2.0
    Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro
    Crucial Ballistix Tracer 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Desktop Memory - Newegg 'Lanfest' edition
    (running 5:6 at 527mhz on stock voltage +.05)
    74G WD Raptor 10,000RPM
    BFG 8800GTX OC
    M-Audio Revolution 5.1
    Seasonic S12 600W PSU
    Intel® PRO/1000 PT Gigabit lan

F-Town Glad to see you having good luck with tracers and X38, they have been removed from the approved list at Crucial for X38/48. So when you hit some issues you will know why >>>>
    NOTICE: X38/X48 Ballistix Tracers Compatibility Dropped

Just a bit of an update...

I wasn't using tracers, just the standard Ballistix. I've swapped back to the OCZ I started out with.
    As I'm running on air with an older CPU cooler (Thermalright XP-90), I'm not really trying for any huge overclocks, just something reasonable and stable. I've had trouble getting there, but I've finally settled for the following which I'm quite happy with.

CPU Q6600 2.4 @ 3.220 mhz
    FSB 266 @ 460 mhz (1840)
    RAM PC2-6400 800 2 x 2gb @ 1104 mhz 5-6-6-18

Seems to be going along fine with these settings. Thanks for your help and suggestions. I appreciate it!
    Last edited by stevez; 06-05-2008 at 08:33 PM.
    Windows XP Pro SP3

Anytime, if you still need some help or just wanna chat it up post back anytime!

Thread Information