Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DS3L MIT & NB/SB questions.

Default DS3L MIT & NB/SB questions.

I stepped away from BIOS for awhile and everything changed... a ton. The last time I entered BIOS with the intent of overclocking, it involved an Abit NF7 and an AMD Barton. I'm slowly getting back into the swing of things after buying my DS3L and an E2200.

At the start I was using one Geil 2x1GB DDR2 800 kit with CL4 4-4-12 stock timings. I was sure I was going to use a 32bit OS but after running Vista X64 I ended up buying Ultimate and getting a second kit of the same for 4GB. Both kits individually will easily run 1066 at 5-5-5-12 @ 2.3V in either set of DIMMs so I was a bit confused when I installed both kits at once and I'm topped out at 819 at 5-5-5-15 @ 2.1v. That is until I read this...

http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/ep35...x2-ddr2-26634/

Now I have them set to 2.1v, 5-5-5-12 and I'm running 937 as I type this.

As full disclosure I have a 2x2GB kit of OCZ2RPR10664GK OCZ Reaper arriving early next week, so I'm going back to two DIMMs, but I'll be adding a second 2 or 4GB kit of the same in the near future (4870 comes first lol). Anyway, I just want to make sure the basic settings are where they should be. They won't be changing in the move to the OCZ aside from the MCH voltage going back to normal. I'm running the E2200 at 273 now for 3.0GHz which is just fine... another 100-200MHz will need more voltage and it's not worth it really. It's getting replaced by something 45nm down the road a bit.

Here are my current settings from M.I.T.

Robust Graphics Booster - auto
    PCIe - 100MHz
    C.I.A. 2 - Disabled
    Performance Enhance - Standard
    CAS - 5
    Ras to Cas - 5
    Ras Precharge - 5
    tRas - 15
    tRRD - 3 (auto)
    Write to Read Delay - 3 (auto)
    Write Precharge Delay - 6 (auto)
    Refresh to Act Delay - 42 (0)
    Read to Precharge Delay - 3 (auto)
    Static tRead Value - 4 (auto)
    Static tRead Phase Adjust - 0 (auto)

-System Voltage-
    DDR2 Overvolt Control - +0.3 (2.1v)
    PCI-E Overvolt Control - Normal
    FSB Overvolt Control - Normal
    (G)MCH Overvolt Control - +0.1
    CPU Voltage - 1.44v
    CPU Normal - 1.325

Like I said, nothing aside from the MCH voltage will change going from my current 4x1GB Geil to the 2X2GB OCZ. Kind of short sighted for me to under order on the memory... I usually think too big.

The other thing I wanted to ask about was the NB and SB HS's. The NB was cool to the touch so I removed it and found the TIM pad that was used was as hard as peanut brittle. I replaced it with Ceramique and it did warm up... I installed a NB fan. The SB is warm but not hot hot. I can't cool it with a direct fan due to the dual slot cooler on my 3850 OC. They are ok as is correct? No need for aftermarket cooling?

Thanks.

EDIT: I just read the sticky at the top of this forum. Performance Enhance is the only thing I didn't see so not sure what it does.
    Last edited by Maranello; 05-19-2008 at 05:30 AM.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: DS3L MIT & NB/SB questions.

You will need to leave MCH at +1 or more for 2x2 sticks And I suggest these settings for 2x2, start with the high and move Lower ONE AT A TIME and test AFTER EACH MOVE. Otherwise you will not know what the failure is. The items in BOLD should be changed NO MATTER WHAT, even if you leave everything else on AUTO the BOLD must be changed/set for 2x2 sticks or you will very quickly find errors

Auto and what you see there on the left is NOT what Auto uses while in windows, it is just what is being used during your looking at it in the BIOS. If you do not believe this then you can run MemSET and see for yourself (No offense, but people often argue this with me) >>>
    http://www.tweakers.fr/download/MemSet.exe

Robust Graphics Booster - auto
    PCIe - 100MHz
    C.I.A. 2 - Disabled
    Performance Enhance - Standard <<< LEAVE
    CAS - 5
    Ras to Cas - 5
    Ras Precharge - 5
    tRas - 15
    tRRD - 3 (auto) << 3-4
    Write to Read Delay - 3 (auto) <<< I suggest 9-11
    Write Precharge Delay - 6 (auto) << I suggest 3-5

Refresh to Act Delay - 42 Must be 52-62, you can test lower later. But 2x2 needs to be way higher then 2x1 or 4x1

Read to Precharge Delay - 3 (auto) << I suggest 3-6
    Static tRead Value - 7-10
    Static tRead Phase Adjust - 0 (auto) << Leave Auto, 0, or 1-31

-System Voltage-
    DDR2 Overvolt Control - +0.3 (2.1v) (Anything over 2.1 please use a fan on your ram or it will die shortly. MOST ram will run fine undervolted)

PCI-E Overvolt Control - Normal
    FSB Overvolt Control - +0.1
    (G)MCH Overvolt Control - +0.1 - +0.125 - +0.150

You likely cannot right now go higher then 9XX because of AUTO settings you are using are too tight and fail.

And no, no active cooling is needed for the SB
    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 12-01-2008 at 12:27 PM.

Thank you. The OCZ sticks will arrive tomorrow. With a restocking fee and shipping of at least $30 to return them, I'm going to try them out. If there is something wrong with them or they don't play nice with the board I can get the restocking fee waved... but not for returning them unused I'm afraid.

I will update and say that I WILL NOT be running 8GB on this board. One reason is the memory... seems I only have a 50/50 chance of getting 8GB of 1066 to run 1066. OCZ only guarntees the 1066 timing on one 2x2GB kit at a time. Needless to say, seeing as you pay a premium on PC2 8500 vs PC2 6400, I won't be spending the money with only a 50/50 chance of success.

The second reason is power delivery. From what I'm seeing, 8GB is more stable on a board with 8 pin power vs the 4 pin my DS3L has so I'll hold off on 8GB until I build a new system. I was planning a second system using the new X48 LanParty so I'll just wait.... it's not like I'm hurting for RAM "only" running 4GB lol.

The Geil I have now will boot windows with the timings I have listed in my first post (2.93GHz on the E2200, 266fsb. At 3GHz/273fsb I only have the option of running 1092 and it simply won't boot) at 1066 but its not stable. I'm sure with some playing around I could get it stable... either way, if the OCZ has problems I'll be reverting back to the Geil.

Thanks for the BIOS settings. I will be trying them when the OCZ gets here tomorrow and will report back.

Shipping = 4.80 (Priority mail) Restock Fee 15%, sounds like 25, but yeah I see your point. Well at least you know if you do run into major issues that is likely why. Ya could always open them and the RMA. I get restock waived everytime I call. Sounds like you know the deal there though anyway.

Those Geil if they are 2gb probably just wont do 1066 because you have the subtimings on AUTO. Auto is more for getting started, not for pushing hardware. Try the settings I posted on your Geil if you have time, especially the bold

Good luck and post back with some results, and hopefully not isssues!!!! Have fun, I know getting memory right is often frustrating, but AUTO is not the way to do it

Shipping from PA to CA for Priority is $8.25 for 1.5 - 2lbs, not to be pedantic but that’s where I got the $30 figure.
    I did get the Geil to boot at 1066 very stable but it required 2.2v (4x1gb). These sticks are covered under warranty up to 2.3v but I agree with you, anything over 2.1v is too much. At 2.2v these guys were hot hot hot! I definitely wouldn’t be comfortable running them that hot.

I installed the OCZ and booted with everything set to auto. Some boards don't set the Refresh to Act Delay correct at 54 but the DS3L got it correct. Due to my CPU overclock (E2200 - 11x273) I was only presented with the option of 1092 which they had no problem running. I've run Memtest86 (latest version) error free, played some Crysis and ran a small video through Dr Divx OSS with no drama so I'd call that stable.

Thanks very much for your help.

True, I wonder if my E2200 would run 9 x 333. That should give me 1066 as an option and the extra fsb would nudge performance a little. I'll give it a try later.

I'm running Memtest86 right now. I lowered the timings a bit from 5-5-5-18 to 5-5-5-15 and dropped the voltage to 2.0v.... over 70% finished and zero errors. I'll try Call of Duty 4 this time... ya know, for testing

Yup, 9 x 333 with memory at 1066 although Vista sees it as 3.66GHz. It gave a little bump in speed as far as benchmarks go.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information