Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: GA-EP35-DS3R recommended memory

Question GA-EP35-DS3R recommended memory

I read a couple posts where you highly recommend GSkill & Mushkin memory -- so I've narrowed my choices to these two brands. I read one specific post where you recommended a few 800MHz kits for my board or one very similar -- that was very helpful.

I currently have 2GB of inexpensive Crucial memory and I'm planning to abandon those sticks and get some better stuff. It works fine now but I'd like to upgrade.

I'm running Windows XP and I'm mostly interested in gaming performance. I understand with 32bit XP I won't actually "see" all 4MB if that's what I put in.

The factors I'm trying to sort out are:
    1. 2x1GB kit vs 2x2GB kit
    2. 800MHz vs 1066MHz (or whatever MHz for that matter)

Looking at the GSKill website I see they have a very handy guide for setting the timings with their 1066MHz kits.

Is there a decent performance boost going to 1066MHz?

Is there some magic number of MHz to try to achieve? (I read something about synchronus operation once, but I really don't see anyone talking about it).

Money is not too big an issue since the prices are all very resonable, but I don't want to throw money away on minimal performance gains.

Even after reading a lot, I pretty much don't know what I'm doing when it comes to tweaking the memory timings and voltage. I don't plan to overclock in the the near future, but may tinker after a year or so.

By the way, thank you very much for answering my previous post. Also, thank you for all the great advice you give. I've learned a lot by just reading through the threads.

my system:
    psu: Antec Earthwatts 500W
    mobo: Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3R rev2.1
    CPU: Intel E8400 @ stock speed
    RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2GB PC2-6400 5-5-5-18
    video: EVGA GeForce 8800GT 512MB stock speed
    HD: (2)-WD Caviar SE16 250GB SATA 3Gb/s
    optical: Samsung SH-S203B
    display: Samsung 906BW 19" wide LCD

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: GA-EP35-DS3R recommended memory

2x1 will overclock easier then 2x2 if that is what you want. And yes 32bit system will only see 3-3.5 depending on your GFX card but you will still be able to use dual channel either way

And if you want 1066 best to stick with only 2 sticks either 2gb or 4gb. As for performance in reality I think only benchmarks show differences. You wont see it in actual speed of system, although I do not game so you may want to ask some gamers. But You could gain a FPS or 2 using 1066, but I doubt it. And just so you know MOST good 800Mhz ram will do 1000 or 1066 at just looser timings such as 5-5-5-15 which is what most 1066 rams use anyway.

*HINT* 1066 ram IS 800Mhz ram just tested by the manufacturer to run at 1066 with the set loose timings they state in the specs. It WILL show as PC2-6400 ram in CPU-z

I guess since you have a 8400, the real deciding factor is what do you plan to run your cpu at? Higher FSB then go with 1066 ram so you can underclock it. Most 1066 ram will run great underclocked with lower voltages and timings to say 900 with 4-4-4-12 timings, and that would be a good investment if you want to run 4ghz or even 3.6 with ram at 850 because later should you get a different CPU you will have some higher speed ram if you needed to step it back up.

2x2gb I suppose is the way to go with the future coming down on us and all

I would suggest if money is no option to get the 2x2gb Mushkins Redlines 1000's (5-5-5-12 #996593) or the Black XP 2x2 1066 (5-5-4-12 - #996535) (5-5-5-15 - #996599) both great models. The Black ones are GREAT even the 800's clock very high at tight timings with less then specified volts, depending on the model choice.

If you go for 2x2 800Mhz I would suggest the (4-4-4-12 - #996580) it does great at 900 with 4-4-4-12 as well. This is the kit I am picking up very shortly

And about answering you, No Problem... Thats what I am here for. I at least try to offer good advice when I can

Thread Information