Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: P35C DS3R dead :-((

Default P35C DS3R dead :-((

Help... My month old P35C DS3R rev 2.1 seems to have given up, 2 days ago I had boot up problems, it got past the post screen then rebooted, this went on and on so I turned it off, removed everything except 1 stick of ram, cpu and video card, took out the battery for the bios and left a link on the reset bios pins for about half an hour. removed the link, replaced the battery and rebooted the pc and after 2 or 3 tries it got to the part about missing harddrive.

Connects sata drive and rebooted, worked fine for about 2 hours then it rebooted then it worked ok till today, it failed to boot at power up and all I saw on the screen was a flashing _ There was one short bleep then it rebooted and I am now back to a flashing _ but no beeps

So I repeats the above procedure again but I am stuck as this flashing _ , nothing I tried helped.

Last setting where bios defaults, no over clocking ( I dont do it any how ). I tried different memory ( a 512 stick ddr2 from a working pc with a gigabyte board in it ) I swapped out the cpu and even hooked up a different psu.

I took out the video card, no change , took out the memory, no change. I tested the memory and cpu on another board but they work fine ???

I cant even get as far as pressing the end key to do a bios recovery, any ideas on a way to fix this ?

GA P35C DS3R
    2x1GB) Corsair TwinX XMS2
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6550
    Seasonic S12II-500
    Sythe mime cooler ( stock intel for testing )
    Samsung 320 Gb sata drive (s) ( I used for testing )
    Pioneer IDE CD drive

Thanks,
    martop.

Default Re: P35C DS3R dead :-((

Sounds like RMA time to me....If the process you did in the 1st paragraph doesn't get it back nothing will.
    Take care,
    Rick
    GA EP35 DS3P w/ E6400 @ 3.2 Ghz, 2 x 2Gb G-Skill PC8000, XFX 9600GT, Corsair TX 650W

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

You can try a blind flash >>>
    Award 6.0 BIOS - BootBlock Recovery

Or try to let it cycle for 10+ times or so and see if it gets going, as sometimes this works

Sometimes a different PSU helps too, try that if you can, otherwise yeap sounds like you will have to RMA

Hi,

Was going to try a blind flash but when the pc starts the screen is just blank with a flashing _ in the top left corner so it wont even get as far as detecting devices I did try putting a bios from the boards webpage on a usb stick, starting the pc and hitting end key like a wood pecker but nothing happened.

I change the power supply for a known working akasa ( new off another build ) and also a spare antec earthwatts one rated at 500w, all no go.

I could leave it on all evening just flashing its _ but all that will do is kinda pee me off lol Lucky I got a laptop at hand to get on line with. I was going to try and boot up without memory and the cpu and video card to see what would happen or is that not a done thing for diagnosing faults ?

Thanks,

martop

Blind flash is Floppy only, and it not what you are thinking it is. Please read that page I posted fully. And you will see nothing while you are doing it

When you say you tried different memory, what brand was it?

Also, have you tried with a different GFX card at all?
    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 12-01-2008 at 12:25 PM.

USB flashing is something I have done to another make of board, I thought it may work here oh well will try a blind flash with floppy.

Memory Ive tried now is 1 Gb stick of Corsair TwinX XMS2, 1 stick of crucial 512MB ddr2 557 ( is from M56S S3 based pc ) and 1 512MB DDR2 667 Kingston

Tried it without any memory and expected a no memory bleep error but nothing just the flashing _ . No beeps or anything even without a video card ( that was a long shot as I dont know how this bios reacts to no memory or video card )

The only thing that boots up on this is the cpu fan ! it goes flat out ( using the stock intel one during testing and the row of leds stay light near the memory slots

Only other video card I have is an old NV 7300 thats sitting in another pc, will try that.

Thanks,

martop

Yeah USB works, but not in this particular point. USB flash in Qflash is good but just wont help you here is what I mean.

You have to fully read and follow the method above, and that may not work either, just suggested it as something to try before RMA

As for the no beep, do you have a case speaker hooked up properly to the correct plugs? They are by the on/off switch, HD LED plugs incase you are unsure. You will not hear it thru your normal speakers. Just so you know, if ya didnt

Ya, Test with different GFX card and that Kingston stick of memory (If you know it works). You could also try a different PSU if you have the patience

If you do not have a case speaker hooked up, best to find one and do so. You could have a error beep and not a dead board but a different issue. Without a case speaker you would never know

Sorry for being slow to post the outcome, so here it is.

I carried out a blind flash, first time the pc just sat there and nothing happened, so went through the steps to create the floppy again, nothing, I then removed the memory and used a stick of 667 Kingston (512mb) in the slot closest to the cpu ( slot 1 I think ) then tried the blind flash floppy and rebooted the pc, it took its time but after a few minutes I heard the floppy reading ! a few minutes later the pc rebooted and I was able to enter a perfect working bios..... As everything was at default I never even set the time, just made sure ACHI was not turned on switched off and added the bootable sata drive, lo and behold everything worked !

That was untill yesterday when I booted the pc I was back to the blinking _ again, by this time I had enough so I returned the board, non in stock as yet so will have one sent next week, so am back on my old nf 4 till then.

I can only draw from this that something was wrong with the board itself in that it would for no reason loose the entire bios, very sad to have to exchange it but I have learned quite a lot of stuff thanks to the forum !

Thanks for all your help,

martop

Did you put your old ram back in after you got it fixed? If so that could have caused it, so dont stick it in your new one when you get it!!!

Glad to see the blind flash still works for GA boards, I was unsure if it still did on the newer ones.

Wish you luck on getting your new board back fast!

Hi Lsdmeasap,

After the blind flash worked, I added everything bit by bit till everything was assembled, that included the memory, everything worked, even after a few reboots from cold, as happens when you add hardware, it was only on the second day it threw a fit again. I see you point about the memory but I had that exchanged along with the board, at the moment its in another pc having memtest run on it, its been going about 2 hours now without a problem.

To tell the truth, I was concerned about the memory, you can never really know after a problem like that, its not something that is clear to blame, that's why I asked for it to be swapped, the vendor did see my point, even though he said it was ok as it passed mem test for a hour on a similar board in the shop, long Saturday morning drinking awful coffee ! I guess it was just one of those unfortunate things that happen. Yeah the blind flash did indeed work, even for me and its not something I have ever done, last time I reflashed a bios was in the old days, taking a chip out and hot swapping it on another board.

From what I experienced though, it dont work on the ds3r unless the memory is in the 1st slot and it didn't pick up the floppy first time, though that could have just been the underlying fault on the board. Chap in the store examined the board, built it up to test and said it seems to be a bad regulator, something about 3 volts missing, not sure how he came to that conclusion as I was at the coffee machine ! English machine coffee, shudder...

thanks again,

martop

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information