Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: What is the best way to configure mix of AHCI and non SATA's on EP35-DS4?

Arrow What is the best way to configure mix of AHCI and non SATA's on EP35-DS4?

So I have my new EP35-DS4 in the case. It's just about ready to turn on for the first time. While I was rebuilding the machine, I decided to throw in a couple hard drives that were previously set up on an ICH9 raid 0 array on my previous P35-DS4. I had removed both of those drives since they were only 160gb each and about full in favor of a single 500gb Seagate 7200.11 which is about just as fast as the older discs in raid 0 as well as almost 2x the space.

Anyways...this is something I meant to do with my previous P35-DS4 but never got around to it. I had intended on putting the raid array back in after figuring this out. The reason I removed them is I set up winXP and OSX Leopard on the 500gb without AHCI to make OSX work. I actually tried to put OSX on the raid array before getting the new disc, but couldnt get the setup to recognize the disc. Therefore, removed the raid array as to set the SATA ports to the standard mode since the raid discs wouldnt be recognized thus useless, and installed windows and OSX with the single 500gb. So now, I have winxp and OSX on the one disc, and another instance of winXP on the raid array. Of course I dont need 2 instances of winxp, but I do have some stuff I would like to keep. Actually what the end result will probably be is keeping XP on the raid array, using it's speed for the OS and software, while making 2 partitions on the single 500gb, one for files and stuff on the XP side, and the other for dual booting OSX. I would like to keep that 500gb disc off AHCI mode which is required for the raid array though.

Here is how my cables are plugged in the ports right now...subject to change before firing it up of course.
    SATA 0 - the 500gb I dont want using AHCI mode
    SATA 1 - 1 of the 2 160gb's with XP set up on ICH9 raid 0
    SATA 2 - The other 160gb in that array
    SATA 3 - the eSATA breakout that came with the board
    SATA 4 - the other eSATA port on that bracket ....no eSATA devices attached to either

If you are asking yourself where is the optical drive, I am still using my trusty ole BenQ DW1640 on the IDE port.

As far as i can tell, the purple ports on the gigabyte (Jmicron) controller should be avoided from what I read due to the way it interfaces the chipset. Everything I have read says the ICH9 controller is more efficient. I get the feeling that those ports also somehow could affect the IDE drive by some of the stuff I read, although I'm not sure I buy that. So really, I would just like to keep it all on the ICH9 unless it's not possible. So that brings me to this.....when you enable raid or AHCI in BIOS...does that apply to all 6 yellow ports? Or is it only (or can be made to be only) certain ones?

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: What is the best way to configure mix of AHCI and non SATA's on EP35-DS4?

I believe it is ALL of them, but my DS4 has 4 yellow and 2 orange so there may be a difference there, but I am not sure really. Just have to test I would assume, and since there is not separate sections in the BIOS for that I would assume AHCI would go across the board on that controller.

As for the GA/J.Micron ports, I use them for RAID and found them to be faster then the Intel controller. I have been using them on 3 GA boards for a year or more and had no issues at all. So I dont know what you read where, but IMO they are the better choice aside from only having 2 port limitation in the RAID array they are faster I think

Default Re: What is the best way to configure mix of AHCI and non SATA's on EP35-DS4?

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    I believe it is ALL of them, but my DS4 has 4 yellow and 2 orange so there may be a difference there, but I am not sure really. Just have to test I would assume, and since there is not separate sections in the BIOS for that I would assume AHCI would go across the board on that controller.

As for the GA/J.Micron ports, I use them for RAID and found them to be faster then the Intel controller. I have been using them on 3 GA boards for a year or more and had no issues at all. So I dont know what you read where, but IMO they are the better choice aside from only having 2 port limitation in the RAID array they are faster I think

I cant remember the specifics of it, but it's something about bandwith issues/the way it interfaces the southbridge. I guess bandwith is shared with other stuff....maybe the pci slots or something...and the ICH9 ports have their own dedicated lanes/bandwith. Again, I dont remember the specifics, but it was something along those lines.

At either rate, looks like I'm gunna settle on keeping the ICH9 (yellow) normal and put the raid array on the Gigamicron ( ) ports.

Back to the rebuild.....as expected, the new board fired up fine, all the same stuff attached. I did notice that when the last one died, it somehow took the DVD burner and floppy/card reader combo with it. I threw in a floppy that was buried in the closet, and borrowed the DVD burner from my other machine for now. Looks like I'll be moving to sata for the optical drive as well since I now need a new one. Probably will pick up a 20x lite on since they are only about $25 shipped.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Yeah I need to get me some SATA opticals, still on IDE here as well! Kinda sad of us isnt it with them being so cheap!

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    Yeah I need to get me some SATA opticals, still on IDE here as well! Kinda sad of us isnt it with them being so cheap!

haha, even with having to get a new one...I still havent ordered one yet as I am really stumped/torn weather I should get another IDE one for wiring purposes or SATA for performance/currency reasons.

IDE works so much better for case wiring as the ide cable is in a good spot and 4 pin molex cable from the PSU being right there in that area powering the motherboard and fan controller. To put SATA drive there, I would have to string up another full cable from the PSU thus detracting another notch from the simple clean wiring job. heh. I'm sure it will be SATA in the end though.

Thread Information