Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: quad core temps note even?

Default quad core temps note even?

Hello all. I am happily running Hackintosh Kalyway 10.5.2 on a Q6600 quad core on the GA-P35-DS4. I have been monitoring the temps since I have it mildly overclocked and I notice a pretty consistent pattern where the first core runs 10-20% hotter than the other 3 cores. I ran a prime95 full blast test load test over night, and the next morning I saw the following "max" temps for the 4 cores: 49 46 34 32.

The idle temps and temps during normal type usage are generally more like 36 33 32 32.

What I notice is a descending pattern where the first core is getting substantially hotter than the 2nd, which is more than the 3rd, which is more than the 4th.

Is this a normal pattern due to the way OSX or other OS's makes use of the CPU cores? Prime95 shows all 4 cores at around 100% while it is running.

Or perhaps do I need to consider that my thermal paste application is not ideal in some way to create uneven cooling? None of these temps are close to danger anyway, but I just want to verify that what I am seeing is normal.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: quad core temps note even?

It is normal for Quads in General since most apps only use core 1 and core 2 with core one being used the most. And they will almost always have a difference between them for several reasons. All looks ok to me, except you may want to redo the paste a bit thinner to get them closer, but yeah that is fine

Oh thinner paste huh? I tried to make it pretty thin already. Why do you think that would even out the temps?

I will try that later though to see if it helps. Since I am running hackintosh OSX on this machine, I'm not completely sure if the situation is the same regarding utiliziation of the 4 cores. Eventually I will setup a dual boot on this machine with XP. Well maybe, I've grown rather fond of OSX.

When I sit here and watch the cpu meters, it seems like all 4 cores are being used about the same, even as I type this message. Nonetheless, at this idle speed I read 33 30 30 30. Those are pretty good temps since I am overclocked to 3.2ghz. Sometimes it dips even lower. But anyway, nearly always, the the first core is consistently a bit warmer than the other 3. The higher temps I showed earlier were during 100% cpu util with prime95.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Well not much is going to make them EVEN. If you Lap your IHS that could make them closer, but they ill never be the same as there is paste between the IHS and the cores that may be uneven, and as I said above not all cores get used the same or at the same time.

basically it is nothing to worry about unless it is over 10+ difference at idle.

The first core will always work harder then the rest, and not all cores are the exact same anyway so fluctuation and differences is to be expected

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    basically it is nothing to worry about unless it is over 10+ difference at idle.
    ...unless it's a 45nm penryn in which case 10+ difference is a somewhat common occurance as well as a host of other temp abnormalities. haha.

My E8400 has that problem... the second core runs 8 to 12 degrees hotter then the first at cooler near idle temps, but will start coming together with about a 4 degree spread at load. I am far from alone judging by all the various results searching for e8400 temps on the web. Despite that, even the hot core....well indicated hot core anyways since it seems to be a DTS issue over an actual temp problem...doesnt get anywhere close to the max, so I'm not really worried about it. I did get bored at one point and decided to lap the cpu (and HS while I was at it) to see if that would change the temp difference at all since it had the same spread with both the included intel HS and Scythe HS, since I have read that some of the IHS's on intel cpu's arent the flattest in the world. Took the CPU's HS down to a nice copper mirror shine (all sanding, no brasso or other polish). End result....while lowering temps a few degrees, the spread between the cores is still exactly the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Dewdman42 View Post
    I ran a prime95 full blast test load test over night, and the next morning I saw the following "max" temps for the 4 cores: 49 46 34 32.

The idle temps and temps during normal type usage are generally more like 36 33 32 32.
    Aren't all these temps amazingly low for a Q6600??? I wouldn't touch anything, as you are just as likely to make it worse???

IMO, I would not mess with it... it's doing excellent... better than most already.

I found this article useful in helping to even out core temps on a quad. Proper Quadcore water block mounting technique - XtremeSystems Forums am on water mainly , but principal works with some air coolers, used it with thermalright Ultra 120. You can also get a Thermalright LGA775 Bolt-Thru-Kit which will work with many coolers and enable you to use the above to even out core temps. I normally expect 2~4C difference accross cores

luck:)

Thread Information