Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: EP35 DS4 won't retain any changes in M.I.T.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: EP35 DS4 won't retain any changes in M.I.T.

Superb!!!

Sounds like maybe you just had the CPU set in there a little bit off or something!

Glad to hear you are in business!!!

--------UPDATE-------

Hmmm. Interesting. Shifted the case to it's final home beneath my desk last night and the problem reoccurred. Sat back and thought about it logically, and worked out that the only real variable that had changed was the unplugging/replugging of the same cables when it shifted position.

Tried overclocking and restarting with all cables in - no luck. Overclock in BIOS, save and restart, quickly unplug the single USB device attached (my mouse and keyboard dongle) prior to the motherboard powering back up again - starts correctly and retains all settings.

I *think* I may have an earth short at the IO shield or something similar that is destabilising the motherboard whenever a USB is plugged in (whether into rear IO ports or front case-mounted USB ports).

Will remove and reinstall the motherboard (again!) checking the IO shield carefully and report how I go.

Thought I'd update you so you'd know this may occur for others.

Cheers,
    Moph

Hmm very strange! But ya it sounds like a short or something to me, did you test without this dual dongle? Maybe that has the short in it

Yup - I tried a couple of G7 dongles, an MX Revolution dongle, and an old USB keyboard and mouse. Motherboard became unstable with all of them. Weird thing is its only at startup that this problem occurs - with all USB's unplugged, once the memory has checked successfully then you can plug the USB's back in and it works fine - until next startup.

Okay, this is driving me nuts!

More TLC today - pulled everything out of the case, inspected the IO shield, found that one of the little grounding tabs has been cut and bent at a slight angle and was likely shorting the USB port. Fixed that, reinstalled it all, had case still lying on the floor so popped in an MX3200 wireless combo dongle, booted it up - perfect! Tried the dongle in all USB ports and had no issues at all.

Slid case back under desk, plugged in USB hub extension cable (hub sits on desk with all my dongles in it) - same ******* issue with BIOS not holding settings as before!

Removed hub, plugged MX3200 dongle into same USB port. Worked perfectly. Repeated this a couple of times and found the USB hub would stuff it every time.

So removed all dongles from the USB hub, tried the hub by itself - fine. Inserted MX Revolution dongle - fine. Inserted Logitech G15 gaming keyboard - stuffed. Install all USB's EXCEPT G15 - fine. Disconnect hub and connect G15 directly - stuffed.

So a quick Google brought up the following...

Gigabyte DQ6 overclock fix (how to) - Core system - PC Hardware

Others have had similar problems with the old P935 DQ6 motherboard. It seems the G15 keyboard contains a legacy (USB v1.1) hub and trips out the motherboard. This is reported to have been fixed in a BIOS update.

GIGABYTE PLEASE NOTE - your P35 DS4 motherboard has stability issues when M.I.T. settings are changed while a legacy USB hub is plugged in. The only 'workaround' we have is to unplug the keyboard at each startup - not really practical. Please investigate for future BIOS fix as was done for P935 DQ6.

Thanks,
    Moph

Hmm so what about you fixing that short and it working? Then not?

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    Hmm so what about you fixing that short and it working? Then not?
    The short was one issue. Instability / weird behaviour is a likely result of any sort of earthing problem. While the short was occuring, the insertion of any USB device (mouse / keyboard / hub / extension cable not connected to anything) would cause stability issues.

Now that the short has been resolved, I am having problems only with the G15 keyboard, and the problem occurs 100% of the time. The symptoms are completely repeatable - if you startup with the G15 plugged in 10 times (unplugging and plugging in the USB port each time to reseat it), you'll have 10 BIOS instabilities. If you plug and unplug any other device 10 times, you'll have 10 successful startups where MIT settings are retained. This occurs on any and all USB ports, including the front case ports.

The issues are two separate issues as I see it. A bump-sensitive short was causing instability with *any* USB device. That's been fixed and all USB devices now work *except* for my Logitech G15 keyboard with legacy USB1.1 hub. The link I posted shows that others have had this issue in the past, and there's a 100+ page forum on VR-Zone addressing USB related instability with the 965 based Gigabyte boards.

There is nothing unusual / damaged on the G15 plug and it works fine on 4 laptops and my old desktop (old desktop is overclocked also).

I'm heading to my parents tonight so will see if I can borrow an old USB1.1 hub and confirm that it's the legacy hub that is causing issues.

Sorry - just to clarify.

The G15 has never worked. When I reported that the problem was solved at the end of last page, I was testing using an MX3200 keyboard mouse combo (not the G15 which is difficult to move from my desk). The computer was lying on the ground with the case open. When I moved it under my desk, the twisting of the case as I stood it upright and moved it obviously caused the short to occur. Hence nothing worked until I reinstalled again this morning, fixing the short.

Now that the short has been fixed and all devices are working, I've moved it under my desk and plugged in the G15. The G15 is the only device that will not work.

Ahhh.... I got ya

So Maybe.... You can get them to send you a newer USB 2.0 hub? Just a thought, or can you possibly use some other newer hub with that keyboard at all?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information