Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: EP35C-DS3R restarts on shutdown

Default EP35C-DS3R restarts on shutdown

All,

I just setup a new PC. The configuration is:
    EP35C-DS3R rev2.1 bios: F3e
    GeForce 8800GTS 512mb
    Intel Q9450 2.66x1333FSB
    4G (2*2024) - Corsair XMS2
    CoolerMaster Extreme Power Duo 600W
    Vista 64bit SP1

Everything seems to be working fine, temps are normal, except when I shutdown the PC, after 5sec it restarts. I have disabled all the power on settings in the Bios. If I turn the PSU power off/on, the machine stays off, but if I do anything w/ the system... i.e shutdown via Vista or Shutdown via the power button, it restarts.

I emailed Gigabyte Tech support, but waiting, I thought to post here and see if anyone else had similar issues.

Thanks
    Houman

Default Re: EP35C-DS3R restarts on shutdown

Just couple of updates, I noticed the mobo recognized the memory as 5-5-5-18, and it should be 4-4-4-12 which I changed. However I have no idea how to change the voltage from 1.9 to 2.1 (I think it is 2.1 based on Corsair forums).

That is if all of this can fix the problem...

*sigh*

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

You should see the ram voltages in the MIT section at the bottom area by CPU voltages. if you do not, on the MAIN page of the BIOS push Control + F1, the screen will flash, then go into MIT and you should then see them

As for the issue at hand, do you have resume/sleep disabled in vista? There is Several Spots in advanced Power options that you must shut off. I just say this because that sounds like what your board is doing, or trying to do. The Vista Button is not Shut down unless/until you change it to be so in the power options area (Advanced section)

I must also ask, Do you HAVE to run a beta BIOS for your CPU? If you dont, you shouldn't

You know, it's not a Vista thing... let's say I press the power to turn on the PC, when it's doing POST (pre OS), I press the power to turn off the PC, and it does turn off, but then restarts it!

I did go back to F2, the bios utility did upgrade to F3e automatically, but I did downgrade it and no dice, the thing is that I pulled most of the items out of the motherboard (memory, gpu, connectors) and it still does it. So either it's a PSU thing, CPU or Motherboard, and I am leaning toward motherboard.

I am thinking to get an Asus motherboard and test this... I was going to get a P5K but they were sold out , so I thought to give this a chance, but clearly, not my lucky day. And seeing how many people have had problems with this board....

Houman

DO NOT USE @BIOS

And when you do your BIOS flashes ALWAYS load optimized defaults, then Save apply F10 and reboot then make your changes

Yup I did that... still problems.

I went and got an Asus nforce (P5N-D) mobo, and the shutdown/restart problem went away, so it was a bios problem on Gigabyte... of course the Asus has problems of it's own :)

I still think P35 > nforce... but I just wanted something to work out of the box... I shouldn't be doing all of this (even in a stock motherboard).

It's too bad, because I really liked the Gigabyte (the DDR3 upgrade path and the OC settings were nice...) oh well.

Houman

p.s thanks for all your help, I do appreciate it.

Thread Information