Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GA-P35-DS3L and Crucial Ballistix DDR2-1066 problem

Default GA-P35-DS3L and Crucial Ballistix DDR2-1066 problem

I have recently built my computer which is Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L and 2 GB of Crucial Ballistix memory (2 x 1 GB). Newegg.com - Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

I didn't overclock or change any setting in BIOS. I left them all at default, I saw that in BIOS default, it is set as 5-5-5-23 timing (instead of 5-5-5-15 of RAM manufacture default), and the RAM voltage is around ~ 2.0 - 2.1 Volt. (While the RAM manufacture voltage is 2.2 V).

Right after install Windows and boot up, I experienced a lot of BSOD which is related to memory error, later, I replaced them with a pair of G.Skill memory and the BSOD problem go away.

Is the RAM defective? Or I have to manually set the BIOS to make it work?

One more thing, I am using Windows Vista Ultimate 32 bit. My hard drive is SATA Seagate 750 GB. I have enabled AHCI and Native mode in BIOS, do I need to do anything else to make my hard drive work in SATA mode perfectly?

Thanks

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: GA-P35-DS3L and Crucial Ballistix DDR2-1066 problem

First off a few things you should know PC2-8500 is actually PC2-6400
    All PC2-8500 must be manually overclocked to 1066

Second all SPD/SLI timings must be manually entered on Intel chipset boards, Nvidia Boards are the only ones that Automatically pick them up

Third, Auto is NOT what you see on the left, and is not the SPD timings either always.

And Fourth, Crucial already has issues with GA boards so you are lucky it is running ok for you, Spec voltages are the MAX allowed for warranty purposes. Not the Spec your ram will need to run and be stable. Especially Crucial please do not use 2.2, they will be very hot and you will need a RMA pretty quick, just google RMA crucial and read a few of the threads and you will see 2.2 is too much, and usually 2.1 is not even needed.

2.1 is fine and you may need that to run 1066, but I would test it at 2.0 myself first and see if that is ok, anything over 2.1 use a fan on the memory.

I see you got G.Skill, all the same applies. Those work alot better in GA boards as you found.

So yes, everything should be manually entered in the BIOS, auto is for setting up your board pretty much

DDR2 Overvoltage control is the memory Voltage in the BIOS.
    +0.1 = 1.9V
    +0.2 = 2.0V
    +0.3 = 2.1V

To run 1066 you will likely also need to add +0.1 or more to MCH voltage as well

AHCI you will find actually slows you down. If you do not need hotswapping there is no need to use it as vista automatically uses NCQ if your drive supports it

Okay, I got it now.
    But how do I configure in the BIOS setting to make 2 stick of Crucial Ballistix DDR2-1066 work together with G.Skill DDR2-800? (So that I will have 4 GB total).

I put all 4 sticks in, and let the BIOS run at default, (They all run at 800 and the timing is 5-5-5-18, the voltage is around 1.85), but the BSOD is still occur.

Thanks

You cannot/should not run 2 different brand/speeds of sticks, you can but you will likely always have issues and it will likely always run crappy

Sell the crucial and buy 2 more G.Skills they are better for your board. If you still want me to make a suggestion let me know, but it is best for you to not mix them

This OCZ DDR2-1066 is on this "memory support list" of GA-P35-DS3L
    Newegg.com - OCZ SLI-Ready Edition 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

I intend to sell both G.Skill and Crucial memory, and then buy this one. Do you think this OCZ memory will work better and faster than G.Skill that I have?

Thanks

Nope, OCZ has issues with GA boards on the list or not, As you can see from the list it is outdated and not very many new types of ram is on there so likely the OCZ has not been removed due t lazy list updating.

Get another set of G.Skills they work perfect with GA boards, as do Mushkins (Which I prefer and suggest)

Can you suggest me a pair of DDR2-1066 (2 x 1 GB) that work perfectly with GA-P35-DS3L? (The price range is $100 or less)

Thanks

Mushkin HP 69.99 with free 3DMark Vantage
    Newegg.com - mushkin 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

G.Skill 59.99
    Newegg.com - G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

For 25 or so more you can get much better choices. Meaning 125 or so

There is other compatible brands but those are the best ones I think, and are not too much $$ at all.

Thanks

Exclamation Re: GA-P35-DS3L and Crucial Ballistix DDR2-1066 problem

Hi all,

It appears that I am having the exact same issue this fellow was. I am using the GA-P35-DS3L with the Q6600 and Ballistix memory (4 x 1gb 1066 DDR2). 3GB seems to work ok but is there anything I can configure via the BIOS to get 4GB stable?

Thank you!

-P

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information