Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: General RAM Question

Default General RAM Question

Hi right now im running a GA P35-DS3 with Corsair XMS2-6400 800 4-4-4-12.

Im curious to find out what the next step up of RAM you would suggest, without messing with BIOS and voltage settings etc. Also if it is worth the upgrade etc.

Cheers.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: General RAM Question

Well, I personally would suggest Mushkin XP or Redline ram, speed would depend on your CPU and your overclock. But since you say you dont want to mess with settings and such you should just keep what you have.

And so you know, that ram has issues with GA boards, but if it is working for you then that is great I have seen a few who have had no issues with it.

Save money and tweak some of your settings, either way to upgrade or even think about it you should be setting things yourself in the bios anyway. Just best to do since you spend your hard earned money on things, you should get the most out of them, which AUTO is not going to give you

Well im running with the Intel Q9300 @ 2.5ghz which is stock of course. So going to 6400 1066 5-5-5-15 wouldnt be worth the upgrade unless i tweak stuff :P

Might need to read over some stuff and do some minor OCing to my CPU etc.

Ya, you would likely see no improvement other then benchmarks, and even then you would still have to do alot of changes in the bios to run at 1066.

Your best bet is to keep 6400 ram, and do some tweaking to the timings. Or get a better 6400 kit if you do want to spend some cash.

With your low Multi On that CPU getting the FSB up over 400 would be a bit of work maybe, not sure as I haven't seen much info on them so far. But I do know you should/could run 400FSB and then 1:1 (2.00) on your ram and that would feel and be faster for sure then how you are running now.

Cheers, I might take a look at some higher performing ram around 6400. So Mushkin sounds like the go. What about a matched pair setup..?? Anyhow ill look into it!

Thanx for your help :)

Yeah you would want a matched pair, 2x1 or 2x2

In Mushkin 6400's speed the Blue ones are decent, black ones are the best

You could also get G.Skills they work great with GA-P35 boards as well, but Mushkins are what I suggest for a few reasons. Better service, and support, and lifetime warranty (In the US) and they have a much better heatsink design and material then most others I have used.

When I buy ram for someone or myself I get Mushkins

But hey, like I said if those are working for you without errors, they are pretty good sticks, but with you not settings things manually in the BIOS you are likely not getting the best out of them is all.

Ok scrap everything i said up top.... I just had a look at what ive got and its not 4-4-4-12. Got the cheap ass 5-5-5-18 XMS2 6400 ugh... Runs at the standard 1.8v. Ive found some pretty sweet OCZ Platinum ram which is 4-4-4-10 but it needs to run at 2.1v on my GA P35-DS3, ive been reading through your tweak section. But im just curious if you could list the main things i can change in my bios to run 2.1v for the ram to stay stable etc.

Cheers.

hydrox, you seemed to think you had Corsair C4 memory and now you think you think its C5. Why???

You may be mistaken as the C4 memory runs stock as C5 at 1.8 volts. You have to set C4 settings and voltage to run Corsair C4 memory at faster than stock SPD.

Also pay attention to the Performance enhance setting and read up on this before you go spending more money on RAM that is probably running correctly and very fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Merman View Post
    hydrox, you seemed to think you had Corsair C4 memory and now you think you think its C5. Why???

You may be mistaken as the C4 memory runs stock as C5 at 1.8 volts. You have to set C4 settings and voltage to run Corsair C4 memory at faster than stock SPD.

Also pay attention to the Performance enhance setting and read up on this before you go spending more money on RAM that is probably running correctly and very fast.
    Because this is the ram i got with my comp!! The link is right here....

http://www.auspcmarket.com.au/show_p...egory_id]=1450

and yes it is 5-5-5-18 and not 4-4-4-12 sooooo umm yeah.
    Last edited by hydrox; 05-31-2008 at 01:49 AM.

Yeah, you should look in CPU-z in the SPD section and see for sure what your model # is and then look online. Merman is correct some 444-12 ram will run at 555-15/18 w/ 1.8 V until you set it properly

Let me know the model and I will look for you and or post some settings for you to try, here is CPU-z >>>
    CPUID

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information