Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GA-EX38-DS4 Multiple problems

Default GA-EX38-DS4 Multiple problems

Hi there, a new member here, just bought a new GA-EX38-DS4 board a month a ago, for DAW use, as well as for other normal computer use, and after a while familiarizing myself with it: I have a problems to report:

Yes: the audio spikes - similar to the P35 mb thread, already e-mailed to Janus a few days ago, but no reponse so far.

Other problem: when ever I try to tweak BIOS settings for some OC and memory integration speed in mind, after the boot, which last longer than normal, the BIOS settings turn back to mostly auto-settings, so no OC possible here. A bit like in this thread:

http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/ep35-ds4-wont-retain-any-changes-m-i-t-26690/

So here are my specs For OC:

Motherboard: GA-EX38-DS4 BIOS F3
    CPU: Q9300
    Memory: Corsair XMS2 Cm2x1024-6400C4
    VGA: Gigabyte 8600GTS
    Power supply: Corsair HX-520W

USB mouse

2 PATA drives
    1 SATA OS drive

HDD S.M.A.R.T. Capability Disabled
    Limit CPUID Max. to 3 Disabled
    No-Execute Memory Protect Disabled (no difference with enabled)
    CPU Enhance Halt (C1E) Disabled (no difference with enabled)
    CPU Thermal Monitor (TM2) Enabled
    CPU EIST Function Disabled
    Virtualisation Technology Disabled

Robust Graphics Booster: Auto
    CPU Clock Ratio: 6
    Multiplier: 0.5
    CPU Host Clock Control: Enabled
    CPU Frequency (MHz): 400
    PCI Express Frequency (MHz): 100
    C.I.A 2: Disabled
    Performance Enhance: Standard

System memory Multiplier(SPD): 2.00D
    DRAM Timing Selectable: Manual
    CAS Latency Time: 4
    DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay: 4
    DRAM RAS# Precharge: 4
    Precharge delay(tRAS): 12

ACT to ACT Delay(tRRD): 3
    Rank Write to Read Delay: 4
    Write to Precharge Delay: 3
    Refresh to ACT Delay: 36
    Read to Precharge Delay: 3
    Static tRead Value: 6
    Static tRead Phase Adjust: Auto
    Command Rate(CMD): 2T

CPU/PCIEX Clock Driving Control:800mv
    CPU Clock Skew Control: Normal
    (G)MCH Clock Skew Control: Normal

*****System Voltage NOT Optimized!! *****

System Voltage Control: Manual
    DDR2 OverVoltage Control: +0.3
    PCI-E OverVoltage Control: +0.1
    FSB OverVoltage Control: +0.1
    (G)MCH OverVoltage Control: +0.1
    Loadline Calibration: Auto
    CPU Voltage Control: 1.175

CPU voltage 1.175 is what mb reports normal for use but Sisoft Sandra says 1.063v is proper

I've had 4-6 random BSODs a week with default speed settings just using Firefox and having some file-operations at the background.

I've had the memory voltages at 2.1v from the beginning, but after reading this forum, I changed the other voltages to +0.1, hopefully it helps.

With the Memtest 86+, no errors, so please explain to me the incompability with corsair memory in this case, before I go out and buy some Mushkin memory.

I have yet to try plugging out my usb mouse during start-up.

Hopefully Gigabyte will solve these problems with their motheboards with working BIOS updates, as I was under the impression, that GB is a respectable company, with a highly regarded product.

Thank you

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: GA-EX38-DS4 Multiple problems

Try Static tRead on 7 instead of 6 and see if that helps you any
    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 12-01-2008 at 01:00 PM.

Update:

Tweaked settings:

Refresh to ACT Delay: from 36 to 38
    Static tRead Value: from 6 to 7

CPU Enhance Halt (C1E) Disabled (it causes constant flutter from 2,14Gh to 2,67Gh when enabled)

Now everything is working well, tried just a little OC to 2,67Gh and it's running smoothly :-)

Yeah, I always disable C1E, TM2, C.I.A.2, and EIST whether overclocking or not. Just keeps things running smoother I think

Some more weird behaviour here, a possible bug in the BIOS perhaps.

Whenever I try to OC to 2.6Ghz with FSB set to 400 and CPU clock ratio to 6.5, during reboot the CPU sets back to 2.4Ghz and if I reboot to BIOS, MIT still reports 2.6Ghz.

Beside this strange anomaly, everything is working as supposed to:

with the ratio 6 CPU is at 2.4Ghz,
    with the ratio 7 CPU is at 2.8Ghz,
    with the ratio 7.5 CPU is at 3.0Ghz

All other settings are as before.

Seems Fine to me, I mean you really dont want to use your lowest multi anyway unless you are trying to do some crazy/high random ram overclock anyway

I guess I wasn't very clear then, I mean when the multiplier is set to 6.5 and FSB to 400, the CPU should overclock to 2.6Ghz, as reported in the BIOS, instead it doesn't. After reboot it underclocks to 2.4Ghz, as if the clock ratio was only plain 6.

When using other available ratios, the computer behaves correctly as set and reported by the BIOS.

It's a logical problem.

I'm not seeking the most higest OC, but rather having a very stable and smoothly running DAW, thus, I'm finding out if having FSB and DRAM ratio set at 1:1 helps me getting there.

What's the problem using lower ratio anyways? When I'm running my normal setup, with EIST and other fancy stuff turned on, my computer runs mostly at 2Ghz with the ratio 6.

And now that I have upped the voltages by 0.1v from auto mode I haven't had a single BSOD.

Ahh, well now I see what you meant.

Sorry

Well glad to hear you found a "Sweet" spot, issues like you say about lower multi's could be any number of things, especially if all other settings are on auto.

And they will likely clear up as more mature 45nm capable BIOS's come out, most likely that is all it is a new bios that is not fully perfect yet. Sometimes a reflash helps fix things, sometimes not.

If you do reflash to see, please do your flash with Qflash, and then load optimized defaults and save/apply F10 and reboot, then come back in BIOS and make your changes. Loading optimized defaults and saving and rebooting is a MUST when doing a new flash or a reflash

i have found solution for FSB lockup problem i had the same and was looking all over internet, there were few suggestions about unpluging everything from USB and leaving only keybord and it worked. so i did as follows: unplug all deices from USB leave only keyboard. 2. unplug power lead. 3 reset bios with jumper . and it will unlock your FSB for OC it happend twice and i unlocked it twice the same day when i got this motherboard.

I received a new BIOS build from Janus a few weeks ago, which resolved the dpc-latency issue, which I'm happy for, but it still has a sort of a similar bug with CPU Clock ratio, this time BIOS not reckognizing 6.5 multiplier with my Q9300. Nothing drastic, everything else working fine. I managed to lower the MCH voltage to +.075v, and graphics card(Gigabyte GTS-8600) set to normal voltage and everything working fine without BSODs, even with AHCI on. So I think I'm ready to be creative and make some music soon...
    I'm glad I found this forum, with great assistance to solve the glitches...:-)
    GA-EX38-DS4 V1.0 BIOS F6c
    Q9300
    Mushkin
    Gigabyte 8600GTS
    Corsair HX-520W
    Samsung SH-203D Burner
    Windows XpSp3

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information