Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: GA-EP35-DS3R weird problems

Unhappy GA-EP35-DS3R weird problems

I'm about to RMA this board because I'm completely at a loss, but if you can think of anything, please let me know.

Hardware:
    Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3R
    CPU - Intel e8400 Core 2 Duo
    RAM - A-DATA 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR2 800
    GPU - EVGA 8800GT
    PSU - 650w Antec Earthwatts
    SATA HD and DVD drive

Problem: Doesn't detect the correct clock multiplier for my CPU in BIOS (not overclocked), and will not save the correct setting I input manually past the next boot. Random video performance, from very bad to OK depending on strange factors such as where RAM is seated or after unplugging/replugging power to the video card. 3Dmark06 scores around 2500 when working like crap, and 9500 when working OK - it should be around 11000, which I did get when testing my card on another machine with the same mobo.

Stuff I did already:
    Updated mobo drivers
    Updated video card drivers
    Orthos stress testing (overnight, no errors)
    Changed the PSU from a 500w to 650w Antec Earthwatts
    Tested all hardware on near-identical machine with same mobo - all of it is fine. Incidentally, the other mobo had no problems detecting the correct CPU speed and retaining that setting.
    Tested different RAM (mushkin) and video card (same model) in my machine - same results
    Updated BIOS to new version + cleared CMOS

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: GA-EP35-DS3R weird problems

RMA it then. Sounds as if you have done it all properly.

You do know 2x2 requires different settings for the ram then 4x1 or 2x1 right? You need 52-62 or more for refresh to act, and +1 or more MCH voltage

When you say it wont keep your multi what multiplier # are you trying to use? And do you have TM2, EIST, C.I.A.2, and C1E disabled?

And when you DO flash (please do not use @BIOS) do you load optimized defaults, then save and apply and reboot before making your changes? If no you MUST, if you dont do this, then please try a flash again and do it properly by loading optimized defaults first and save and apply that and reboot then make any changes you want

Thanks for the reply.

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post

When you say it wont keep your multi what multiplier # are you trying to use? And do you have TM2, EIST, C.I.A.2, and C1E disabled?
    It defaults at x6 (2.0 GHz), when it should be running at x9. Again, not overclocked either. My friend's system (identical CPU and mobo) runs out of the box at x9 by default, no problems like this whatsoever. I think I've tried everything possible with BIOS to make it save the setting.

And when you DO flash (please do not use @BIOS) do you load optimized defaults, then save and apply and reboot before making your changes? If no you MUST, if you dont do this, then please try a flash again and do it properly by loading optimized defaults first and save and apply that and reboot then make any changes you want
    Yup, went by the book... still no dice. Kinda weird that they would include @BIOS when it shouldn't be used though, I guess it's not a reliable app?

Anyway, thanks again for the reply. Looks like it probably just needs to be RMA'd then, considering the video problems I was having too.

Yeah always best to do flashing in Qflash with a floppy or USB stick.

So, you have the above mentioned things off? EIST, TM2, C.I.A.2, and C1E? If you dont speedstep will be on and make your multi go to 6 when at idle.

You can check to see if that is on by loading orthos and look in CPU-z and see if the multi jumps to 9. Which is what that sounds like to me, speedstep is on (EIST) so it will go down to 6 if not loaded.

If you already know that and have them off and have this issue just ignore me! HAHA Just had to mention it again because lots of users dont know about that or cant figure out how to turn it off

Yeah always best to do flashing in Qflash with a floppy or USB stick.

So, you have the above mentioned things off? EIST, TM2, C.I.A.2, and C1E? If you dont speedstep will be on and make your multi go to 6 when at idle.

You can check to see if that is on by loading orthos and look in CPU-z and see if the multi jumps to 9. Which is what that sounds like to me, speedstep is on (EIST) so it will go down to 6 if not loaded.

If you already know that and have them off and have this issue just ignore me! HAHA Just had to mention it again because lots of users dont know about that or cant figure out how to turn it off
    Thanks, I did take Speedstep into consideration. I'll play around with it tonight and see what happens, I haven't touched it in a few days. I do know that it shows my CPU at 2.0 GHz on POST sometimes, if at all, when my friend reports that his always shows 3.0.

I still think there's something else wrong due to the weird video performance, and that moving the RAM to the other slots affects the performance when it technically shouldn't.

Whatever it shows at post is the fastest it's gonna go....w/o changing some settings.
    Take care,
    Rick
    GA EP35 DS3P w/ E6400 @ 3.2 Ghz, 2 x 2Gb G-Skill PC8000, XFX 9600GT, Corsair TX 650W

Quote Originally Posted by HemiRick View Post
    Whatever it shows at post is the fastest it's gonna go....w/o changing some settings.
    That's good to know. Seems that something is definitely wrong then.

Not enterirely true, with speedstep on sometimes the underclocked speed is shown for sure.

Be sure you have found and shut off the following and see if it still is at 2 >>> EIST, TM2, C.I.A.2, and C1E

And like I said, you can easily see if it IS on by starting orthos or any other app that will load your cpu to full load then look in CPU-Z and see if the speed, Multiplier, and Voltage goes up to the normal expected high end of the cpu speed and 9 multi

Not enterirely true, with speedstep on sometimes the underclocked speed is shown for sure.

Be sure you have found and shut off the following and see if it still is at 2 >>> EIST, TM2, C.I.A.2, and C1E

And like I said, you can easily see if it IS on by starting orthos or any other app that will load your cpu to full load then look in CPU-Z and see if the speed, Multiplier, and Voltage goes up to the normal expected high end of the cpu speed and 9 multi
    Hi,

Well, here I am playing with BIOS again, and the EIST option is completely missing. And yes, I did the ctrl + F1 trick.

It is in Advanced BIOS Options, it will be between TM2 and Virtualization Technology

If you dont see it with or without Ctrl + F1 I would suggest a reflash, or downgraded flash

That is likely your issue, speedstep is on

Thread Information