Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: What is it with Gigabyte boards and Memory?

Default What is it with Gigabyte boards and Memory?

I find it strange that a company as large as Gigabyte has issues with memory from companies like Corsair, OCZ and Crucial. These are also 3 very large companies whose products have been (and are still) at the top of the product tree with regard to quality and for using their RAM overclocked or in standard specification.

Why is it that Gigabyte boards have problems using these companies' memory? And are Gigabyte going to do something about it in future?
    Last edited by stevez; 06-03-2008 at 05:10 PM.
    X38-DS4 BIOS F3, CPU Quad 6600 G0, Thermalright XP90 Cooler,
    OCZ SLI-Edition PC-6400 2 x 2gb, Leadtek 7900GT w/Accelero S1,
    Samsung 500gb HDD, Creative X-fi Audio, Pioneer DVD, MSI CD/DVD
    Corsair HX-620 PSU, Thermaltake Xaser Case w/4 fans, Dell 1905P 19" Monitor,
    Windows XP Pro SP3

Default Re: What is it with Gigabyte boards and Memory?

I don't understand your question or problem. I see plenty of people including myself using Gigabyte & memory from one of the companies you mention.

what issues have you with what memory & motherbaord ??

I had some OCZ memory in my rig (moved to Mushkin) and both sets were rock stable.
    EP35 DS3P (F4 bios), Q6600 @3.0GHZ, Zalman 9700, 4GB Mushkin 6400 EP, Corsair 620HX, Antec Nine Hundred (2 intake front, rear and top exhaust), Sapphire HD4870 512MB, 2X Raptor 150GB RAID 0, Xonar DX, 2X DVD Drives, Dual Boot XP Home and Vista Ultimate 64-bit

I have the Gigabyte X48-DQ6 mobo. Used Corsair Ballistix 3GB (2 x 1GB + 2 x 512 MB), supposedly one of the problem ram sticks. Zero problems with this ram. Then I changed to OCZ Reaper HPC 1066 (2 x 2GB) just to get a faster ram. Again, zero problems. In fact, the mobo recognized the ram as 1066 immediately without any BIOS changes and the OS shows 3.25 GB.

I feel for those with problems, but I've used two of the supposedly problem companies with Gigabyte and both work flawlessly.

I suppose my comment is more a reaction to advice by Lsdmeasap about Crucial, Corsair and OCZ not being too compatible with Gigabyte boards and to steer clear of them in favour of Mushkin and GSkill.

I'm actually using some OCZ at the moment and while my board does seem to have issues at certain settings, I can get it to co-operate if I ease the timings/subtimings and don't run at the specified settings. So maybe it's more that Gigabyte Bioses aren't as good as some others with various memory straps and/or tighter settings. Anyway, I find there is far too much mucking around getting stable overclocks with my quad Q6600.
    X38-DS4 BIOS F3, CPU Quad 6600 G0, Thermalright XP90 Cooler,
    OCZ SLI-Edition PC-6400 2 x 2gb, Leadtek 7900GT w/Accelero S1,
    Samsung 500gb HDD, Creative X-fi Audio, Pioneer DVD, MSI CD/DVD
    Corsair HX-620 PSU, Thermaltake Xaser Case w/4 fans, Dell 1905P 19" Monitor,
    Windows XP Pro SP3

Thread Information