Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: cant change cpu voltage?

Default cant change cpu voltage?

i just built a new system, GA-EP35-DS3L and Q6600. the processor is running much hotter than i would like, and the motherboard is setting the voltage to 1.2v. i dont overclock, so i figured i could knock the voltage down a tad and see if it helps the temps (which are 35-50C idle and 70C+ under load!). i found the under volt setting and pulled it back one increment at a time, each time i rebooted, i was still getting 1.2v! i installed easytune to see if it would let me do it from there, it lets me move the slider, but when i hit go, the setting reverts back to default and the arrow above the slider disappears!? i tried disabling all of the energy saving features in the bios and still no go.

is my motherboard defective? i can change other settings, like ram voltage. my ocz ram requires 2.0V but the board reads it as 1.8v. this setting works, when i change it i can verify it worked, but the cpu vcore simply wont budge!

the board came with the f4 bios

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: cant change cpu voltage?

Do you have C1E, EIST, TM2 and C.I.A.2 off?

Do you have DES software installed? If so you may need to uninstall it until you find where you want your voltages and then you can reinstall it, and also turn back on the settings above

How far Back did you try to take it? Smaller increments may not be seen, like 1.195 and 1.185 may still show as 1.2 you might need to go a bit lower

And please check what your voltage is with CPU-z, maybe the apps you are using are seeing it wrong >>>
    CPUID

"Do you have C1E, EIST, TM2 and C.I.A.2 off?"
    yes, they are all off. (i just disabled tm2, i hadnt thought of it before, but it did not change anything...)

"Do you have DES software installed?"
    i never installed it

"How far Back did you try to take it?"
    i took it back in single increments to 1.0v, after which i got tired and just knocked it all the way down to, i believe it was 0.5v but not sure, just to see what would happen. it booted fine, but still showed 1.2v..

"And please check what your voltage is with CPU-z, maybe the apps you are using are seeing it wrong >>>"
    im using several utilities, including cpu-z, core temp (for temps), speedfan and pcwizard 2008. they all seem to be in agreement that the temps are high, and the voltage isnt changing.

thank you for the quick response

What does CPU-z show for voltage when you lower it to say 1.1? I believe you, just asking

Do you have external storage? If not go in and shut off Legacy USB storage detect, this sometimes causes issues. It is in Integrated Peripherals
    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 06-03-2008 at 03:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    What does CPU-z show for voltage when you lower it to say 1.1? I believe you, just asking

Do you have external storage? If not go in and shut off Legacy USB storage detect, this sometimes causes issues. It is in Integrated Peripherals
    well, there isnt a 1.1v that i could find, so i set it to 1.1125 after i disabled the legacy usb storage detect and rebooted.... its still showing 1.2v

edit: actually, staring at cpu-z, it is now bouncing between 1.2v and 1.232 since disabling the legacy usb storage detect. probably coincidence
    Last edited by Warhead; 06-03-2008 at 03:57 PM.

Your problem sounds similar to the one being discussed here:

http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/ga-e...problem-26638/

Same motherboard, same situation where the CPU voltage won't budge.

Try clearing your CMOS - it may allow you to change the voltage for a while (though the problem will probably reappear)...

IN CPU-z?

Well the only other thing I can think for you to try is to Re-Flash in Qflash the F4 BIOS again, and do it correctly by this method >>>

Flash to F4
    Load Optimized Defaults
    Save and Apply/F10
    Reboot

After you have rebooted Now gon back into BIOS and make your changes as you had them before

BIOS MUST be flashed in that fashion or it is not done properly and something errors from previous BIOS's or settings stay in effect/hidden

i dont have a floppy drive installed right now, so ill have to continue this tomorrow.

thanks for the help thus far.

i finished flashing a few minutes ago (followed the procedure, then disabled everything you asked me to earlier), it still isnt letting me change the voltage. this is a screeny of cpu-z i just took, the voltage is currently set at 0.9 in the bios.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information