Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: GA-MA-770-DS3 SATA Conflict?

Default Re: GA-MA-770-DS3 SATA Conflict?

Quote Originally Posted by josephezell View Post

A friend suggested getting an SATA PCI Express add-on card and run the DVD from it. The best price on better cards are around $20-$30. As I search for those who have tried using this method, they have a boat-load of conflicts as well.
    You should probably solve whatever is causing the problem but... I went the cheapo sata pcie1x card route ( not because of lockups ) and haven't had problems with a card based on sil3132 chip. try searching for that chip and your mobo/chipset, I didn't see a boat-load of conflicts in googling it for a minute.

If you go for that route, from my seaching it looked like the type with 4 ports selectable by jumpers are kinda funky, i got a 1 external 1 internal type and have no trouble burning dvd's over or backing up to external hd through it ( haven't tried both simultaneously! ). Based on pictures at least I couldn't spot a difference between the $20 and $40 cards, they all looked exactly like SI reference card, so i got the $20, though one of the $40 brands (iogear?) will plant a tree if you buy it...

And finally for the cheap brands at least, go to silicon image website and download bios/drivers from there, the bios to use is the one that starts with a b ( current b7405.bin ) assuming you dont want raid. mine was sold with the raid bios ( wth, 1 ext. 1 int and they ship with raid bios.... ). but flashing it was simple, have ncq/ahci/whatever.

Flummox, Okay, maybe a boat-load was an exaggeration. But, there have been some conflicts reported. Nonetheless, it is a shame to think the Gigabyte board will not do what is supposed to do without adding an additional card.

The SYBA SD-SA2PEX-2IR PCI Express SATA II Controller Card is $19.99 after $15.00 instant rebate at NewEgg.

And ...
    IOGEAR is excited to announce its "Road to a Million Trees" campaign. In partnership with Trees for the Future, IOGEAR will plant a tree for every product sold on IOGEAR.com or through an IOGEAR GREEN initiative partner, with a goal of planting one million trees.
    - - -

LSD, I just ran MemTest and got no errors on my RAM.

Again, thanks for any help in tracking down this problem.

Joe
    My System: Windows XP (64-bit) with SP2 -- Gigabyte ATX GA-MA770-DS3 Motherboard -- AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core Socket AM2 5600+ Processor -- Corsair 550W PSU -- Dell 19" Monitor -- Asus GeForce 8600GT Video -- 8-Gig OCZ DDR2 800MHz RAM -- 2 WD SATA 160Gig Drives -- 1 WD 160Gig for backup -- Thermaltake Mini Typhoon CPU Cooler

Quote Originally Posted by josephezell View Post
    But, there have been some conflicts reported. Nonetheless, it is a shame to think the Gigabyte board will not do what is supposed to do without adding an additional card.

The SYBA SD-SA2PEX-2IR PCI Express SATA II Controller Card is $19.99 after $15.00 instant rebate at NewEgg.
    yea, it should do what it's supposed to and you should persevere until satisfied, i just posted in case you go the 1x card route which has some flexibility advantages and you'd mentioned it. I got a syba as well the 1e11 or something, 1 internal 1 external, so i'd have a esata to back up to. I added the bit about the bios as I couldn't find precise instructions on other forums and the syba documentation is utterly incomprehensible. I'm on x48-DS4 so it probably doesn't apply to you but no conflicts, have had occasion to switch my boot hd to the pci-e1x card and no troubles booting off it then swapping my dvd back to it.

If I don't find a fix, I'll either have to go with the add-on card or replace the DVD with an EIDE version. Probably the first.

Thank you for your comments.

Joe
    My System: Windows XP (64-bit) with SP2 -- Gigabyte ATX GA-MA770-DS3 Motherboard -- AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core Socket AM2 5600+ Processor -- Corsair 550W PSU -- Dell 19" Monitor -- Asus GeForce 8600GT Video -- 8-Gig OCZ DDR2 800MHz RAM -- 2 WD SATA 160Gig Drives -- 1 WD 160Gig for backup -- Thermaltake Mini Typhoon CPU Cooler

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Ya, if you HAVE to I would get the add in card, no point in going backwards in DVD tech!

Have you tried it on all your other SATA ports and still have the same issues?

Default Re: GA-MA770-DS3 SATA Conflict?

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    Ya, if you HAVE to I would get the add in card, no point in going backwards in DVD tech!

Have you tried it on all your other SATA ports and still have the same issues?
    Thanks for the recomendation. Yes, I have tryed that.

On the board, the physical setup is:

SATAII1 - SATAII0
    SATAII3 - SATAII2

I have the two hard drives are on 0 and 2. The DVD is on 1.

The reason the two HDDs are on 0 and 2, is it's the only way they would show as MAS 1 and MAS 2 in the RAID configuration.

Surely, putting the HDDs on 0 and 1 would not make a difference ... would it? (and don't call me Shirley)

Joe
    Last edited by josephezell; 06-10-2008 at 09:20 PM.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

It could, but you may need to redo the raid array? DO you not have purple ports on your board as well as orange/yellow? If so you could make your raid on the purple GA/J.Micron ports and use the yellow/orange for the DVD player and see if that works better

Nope! Mine are all yellow.

The 4 SATA sockets are toward the botton of the picture. The yellow block.
    Last edited by josephezell; 06-12-2008 at 04:01 AM.

Same MB with the same problem. I was wondering which SATA card you purchased and if it fixed the issue? TIA.

North1,

See THIS POST for what cleared up all my issues. Yep, one simple settings and I was cookin' with gas! :)

Joe

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information