Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: EP35-DS3R Won't Hold 400 FSB

Default Re: EP35-DS3R Won't Hold 400 FSB

Quote Originally Posted by DarkHelmet View Post
    I am having similar issues. i note you are only using the f2/3 bios version. Looking at the table for supported cpu's it says F4 should be used for the e7200. That is what firmware I am using.

I to can not get the settings to stick. But i am very new to this. This is my first build where I have messed with the bios to over clock..

Have you made any progress?

--
    Where did you find an F4 BIOS for the EP35-DS3R? The latest I've seen is an F3n beta released for the DPC latency bug.

For your settings, can you get them to stick at all, or is it only after cold boots that they're reset? Having them reset is normal if an OC fails, the problem with my board is that my OC fails only during cold boots and over 364 FSB. If your board doesn't maintain any OC at all then it means either you should clear the CMOS and start over, or you're not using the right settings.

Start another thread and list your settings so we can help you.

Sorry my bad. I was thinking your board was GIGABYTE GA-EP35-DS3L.

Update: I noticed that if I Load Optimized Defaults, then load any saved setting (F12) the board will boot ok.
    Last edited by Toadeater; 06-25-2008 at 03:41 AM.

OK, after another week of tests (waiting overnight to see if the OC sticks the next day), I think I've pinned the problem down to CPU voltages. The board needs more voltage to cold boot and for S3 than it does while running or after resets. It is 100% stable in Windows at 1.2v, it boots sometimes at 1.268v, but to get it to cold boot reliably I had to set it to 1.312v. I've told Gigabyte about this, but so far they've only said they don't guarantee overclocks. Their BIOS engineers need to know about this.

I've found this problem even cropped up in a X48T-DQ6 review:

"We have found the board can run a CAS latency of 6 or 7 between 1600-1800MHz. However, the BIOS can be prone to resetting itself between reboots. ... We fully expect these FSB limits to improve with newer BIOS releases."

AnandTech: The Gigabyte GA-X48T-DQ6 - Redefining the High End?

Right now my board is booting at 389x9.5, PCIe 102MHz, extreme performance, tRD 7, +.1v MCH, FSB. I'm going to try for 400 FSB again tomorrow.
    Last edited by Toadeater; 06-30-2008 at 03:32 AM.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    You will have much better luck with Extreme Performance OFF
    Does that setting do anything besides change the RAM timings? I have tried setting it to standard a few times already at various FSBs and it did not help booting. I'll try it again next time it fails to boot before doing anything else.

I am not sure what all it does sorry, but I do know it may be using too tight of ram timings causing you to not be able to overclock very well. But I do know you want it on standard for overclocking which you are doing, and especially if you overclocking ventures are not holding or staying stable.

You could also be at the upper range of your CPU's limit. Have you tested your particular CPU in a different board/setup?

You could also be at the upper range of your CPU's limit. Have you tested your particular CPU in a different board/setup?
    No, but I don't think it has reached it's limit because it was stable in Windows at 400x9.5 FSB and 1.296v (after vdrop). But then it wouldn't boot the next time. Once I get it to boot overclocked, there is no problem with stability whatsoever. I've ran Prime95+Orthos simultaneously, and tried a bunch of games and video. Not a single BSOD or crash, the board runs great other than the boot thing.

Right now I'm trying to get 385x9.5 to boot consistently at 1.31v (after vdrop). This isn't an unusual voltage for an E7200, what bugs me is that I've seen it running 100% stable all day at lower voltages and higher speeds. The boot sequence is the only thing forcing me to raise voltages higher. I'm going to try some other timings later, such as 450x8, etc.

Btw, I tried Standard and Turbo performance enhance again today when the board failed to boot once, it did not make a difference. So I raised the CPU voltage another step and it booted.

Quote Originally Posted by Toadeater View Post

Right now I'm trying to get 385x9.5 to boot consistently at 1.31v (after vdrop). This isn't an unusual voltage for an E7200, what bugs me is that I've seen it running 100% stable all day at lower voltages and higher speeds. The boot sequence is the only thing forcing me to raise voltages higher. I'm going to try some other timings later, such as 450x8, etc.

Ya, well that is someone else's chip and hardware you are comparing to, which you Cannot do. But yeah, along the lines you are thinking I think you just need more voltage. Try 1.325 after Vdroop/vdrop depending on which you meant. 1.325 is fine as well if you have adequate cooling.

I need to test out my 8 multi, thanks for reminding me!

Ya, well that is someone else's chip and hardware you are comparing to, which you Cannot do.
    I'm not comparing it to any other single E7200, I'm comparing cold boot failures with stable overclocks in Windows that I got on this same board. Why is the BIOS turning off the OC if it was stable in Windows? I have gotten zero, absolutely zero errors, corruptions, or BSODs running at 400x9.5 1.3v, but it will not cold boot that way no matter what I try.

Heh, sorry to be pestering you, but Gigabyte tech support was of no help whatsoever, they just said they don't guarantee overclocks.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information