Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Does C.I.A.2 even work?

Default Does C.I.A.2 even work?

Just thought I'd test this function to see what it does, and as far as I can see, it does next to no overclocking.

I set it to "Full Thrust" (the highest setting) in the BIOS and ran 4 threads in Prime95 with 100% load on each core (Q6600). My CPU continued to run at 2.4ghz with only slight occasional increases up to 2.418. C.I.A.2 pushed the voltage up to 1.57 while still maintaining the stock CPU 2.4ghz; i.e. no overclock, even with the 100% load on all 4 cores (normal vid for my CPU is 1.325).

Given that it's meant to provide an easy means for overclocking, it seems to have failed. Also seems a little bit dangerous in its voltage behaviour. Has anyone else seen this tool work properly?
    X38-DS4 BIOS F3, CPU Quad 6600 G0, Thermalright XP90 Cooler,
    OCZ SLI-Edition PC-6400 2 x 2gb, Leadtek 7900GT w/Accelero S1,
    Samsung 500gb HDD, Creative X-fi Audio, Pioneer DVD, MSI CD/DVD
    Corsair HX-620 PSU, Thermaltake Xaser Case w/4 fans, Dell 1905P 19" Monitor,
    Windows XP Pro SP3

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: Does C.I.A.2 even work?

I re-visited C.I.A.2 again this morning after playing around with it overnight. I'm not exactly sure why, but it is actually WORKING this morning and I owe some sort of an apology to Gigabyte. This is what happened when I played with my settings again.

1. I booted up from a cold boot after my PC was off for 7 hours.
    2. The CIA2 BIOS settings I had in from last night POSTED, but then switched off.
    3. The computer re-booted at stock non-overclocked settings.
    4. I changed CIA2 back to FULL THRUST.
    5. Re-booted into Windows.
    6. Ran 4 threads of Prime95 again and opened CPUz.

CPUz showed my CPU running at 3.0ghz and 333FSB (stock is 2.4 and 266). This is a 25% OVERCLOCK at FULL LOAD, using the highest setting in CIA2.

Maybe the BIOS has to have been booted to stock settings before engaging the CIA2 setting; i.e. you can't do it from an overclocked position you were already booting up with. This is my only explanation for why CIA2 didn't initially work for me.

For CIA2 to work properly, these settings should be set in the BIOS:

C1E and EIST disabled OR enabled.

Note: If these settings are enabled, the Intel CPU speed reductions kick in when the system is idling. Having them enabled doesn't seem to affect system stability for when using CIA2.

CPU Host Clock Control disabled.
    CIA2 enabled.

I manually set my VID core voltage, because otherwise CIA2 automatically sets a much higher voltage that just isn't necessary for the maximum 25% overclock that can be achieved using the highest CIA2 setting (FULL THRUST).

System Memory can just be left on AUTO for both Multiplier and SPD Timing, or you can manually adjust the settings. Check the AUTO settings in Mem-Set to see if they are tight enough. If you're happy with them just leave Memory at AUTO in the BIOS.

For stability, I also manually adjusted vDIMM as per RAM specs and added 0.1v to PCI-e, FSB and MCH respectively.

Some other things I found during testing were:

1. Performance Enhance "Extreme" setting doesn't work well with CIA2.
    Windows tends to freeze fairly quickly.

2. Performance Enhance "Turbo" setting seems to work ok with CIA2.

3. CIA2 also overclocks the memory frequency. My 800mhz RAM was working at 1000mhz with CIA2 set to "Full Thrust".

The board also entered and resumed from S3 standby without any problem using the above settings. This supports my previous testing of the standby issue, where S3 standby does function correctly, but only up to a moderate level of overclocking.
    Last edited by stevez; 06-09-2008 at 09:25 AM. Reason: Add more info
    X38-DS4 BIOS F3, CPU Quad 6600 G0, Thermalright XP90 Cooler,
    OCZ SLI-Edition PC-6400 2 x 2gb, Leadtek 7900GT w/Accelero S1,
    Samsung 500gb HDD, Creative X-fi Audio, Pioneer DVD, MSI CD/DVD
    Corsair HX-620 PSU, Thermaltake Xaser Case w/4 fans, Dell 1905P 19" Monitor,
    Windows XP Pro SP3

Thread Information