Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: P35-DS3R always boots 3 times after BIOS settings change

Default P35-DS3R always boots 3 times after BIOS settings change

Hi - first time on this forum. I have a problem where my PC using this mobo does always boot OK, but every time I change the BIOS settings even in a trivial way such as enabling USB keyboard, cnanging boot device details, the restart, it does the following:

- tries once to boot, doesn't get to the POST screen - I can see phase lights flash on motherboard
    - tries again, same behaviour
    - tries a third time, always succeeds

I haven't done any overclocking, and haven't even done memory config yet. Apart from this the system is very stable indeed.

I am using stock settings with F9 BIOS.

Any ideas? System spec is below in case that helps.

Code:
    Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R iP35 Socket 775 8 channel audio ATX Motherboard    
    Intel Core 2 Duo E8200 Socket 775 (2.66GHz) FSB1333 6MB Cache 
    NVidia 7900GS PCI Express 256 MB (XpertVision) with Arctic Cooling Accelero passive cooler 
    Corsair 4GB Kit (2x2GB) DDR2 800MHz/PC2-6400 XMS2 Memory Non-ECC Unbuffered CL4(4-4-4-12)
    Samsung HD753LJ 750GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 32MB Cache

Default Re: P35-DS3R always boots 3 times after BIOS settings change

F9 is a very bad version giving memtest errors and doesn't even support your e8200 cpu on any of the p35 ds3r board revisions.
    try the latest version on the site if u don't have a rev 1.00 board

the behavior you describe is similar to what the board does when its trying to POST with too much OC...when my board does it it also resets most of the stuff on the overclock page in bios... does your board save all your settings when it reboots succesfully?

you should try this latest bios if u use a rev 1.00 board
    p35ds3r.12j
    note u can't change vcore with it and its beta but it also solved completly dpc latency issue! its not on the site yet... ver . f12j

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Your board is likely failing to start properly since you have not set anything in the MIT section, which you NEED to do for 4GB of ram

You at LEAST NEED to set the following things to boot properly with 4GB of ram >>>

PCI Express Frequency (Mhz)_______ [100]

Refresh to ACT Delay______________ 52-62

System Voltage Control____ [Manual]
    DDR2 OverVoltage Control__ [+0.300V] <<< Set to your ram spec +.3 is 2.1
    (G)MCH OverVoltage Control [+0.1V - +0.125 - +0.150]

If you still have issues with those changes I would have to tell you that Ram is not compatible with a GA board. I say it often, Crucial, OCZ, and corsair seem to have issues with GA boards? Not official or anything, just my thoughts based on threads such as these... MANY of them

Thanks for the help, that was very useful! I set the memory to 5-4-4-15 (different RAM now, OCZ SLI-ready) and used your settings above for the rest. New RAM sticks are as follows in case it helps someone else:

OCZ DDR2 PC2-6400 SLI-Ready Edition 4GB Dual Channel 5-4-4-15 800 MHz OCZ2N800SR4GK

I haven't changed the F9 BIOS as it works fine and is quite recent (Nov 07?) with 45nm Core 2 Duo support including the E8200.

This RAM is quite compatible with this board - the mobo managed to figure out quite usable settings without any memory config at all, in fact I've been using the system for a few weeks quite successfully. Of course I'm not overclocking but according to the OCZ forums this RAM can go quite a bit faster (search for Intel P35 and the part number).

Most effective setting to stop the triple booting is to set "Performance Enhance" in the MIT menu to "Standard" (Turbo is the default setting)

Yes, that should Always be on standard when overclocking as you have no control/idea what it is changing above and beyond your manual settings

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    Yes, that should Always be on standard when overclocking as you have no control/idea what it is changing above and beyond your manual settings
    Regardless of overclocking (as I havent - yet), on my setup a Bios Save will result in a triple reboot with that setting on anything but "Standard"

Ideally GB should have this at Standard by default because I believe it causes a lot of uneccessary support calls.

Yeah, I agree!!! It should definitely be on standard by default.

I have gotten it to work fine, but ya it should not be starting out cranked up for sure

Thread Information