Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Micron High Density DIMM's

Default Micron High Density DIMM's

Having problems with RAM on your new P35 board? Well, you're in good company. There have been a lot of people in the enthusiast sector reporting major problems using DIMM's made with Micron high density D9 IC's, especially on boards using P35 and x38 chipsets. These modules have 128Mb per chip and a 1-gig stick will have eight of them on one side. They require 2.2v and a very stable power suply. Users are complaining that they fail almost immediately or within a few weeks.

Crucial is a division of Micron and has been replacing returned Ballistix DIMM's with a different version. Users report sending back single sided modules and getting back double sided ones as replacements. I've seen a comment attributed to Crucial's tech support acknowledging the issue and stating that it will be resolved through bios revisions. You can get a feel for the problem by reading the user reviews on Newegg for affected products. Some examples:

www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820146565

and

www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148069

Bottom line: before buying new RAM, first check with the manufacturer of your motherboard for a list of compatible memory modules. And keep an eye out for those bios revisions.

OverDraught

Default Re: Micron High Density DIMM's

I had this problem and I got back more single sided memory and have not even bothered to stick it in my board to test it.....
    Take care,
    Rick
    GA EP35 DS3P w/ E6400 @ 3.2 Ghz, 2 x 2Gb G-Skill PC8000, XFX 9600GT, Corsair TX 650W

I'm foreseeing a flood of slightly used RAM on eBay...

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Add this in there as well, general X38/X48 Tracers removed from compatibility lists. All motherboard manufacturers >>>
    NOTICE: X38/X48 Ballistix Tracers Compatibility Dropped

Thread Information