Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Noob with Gigagyte Boards

Default Noob with Gigagyte Boards

I just lost an Asus P5B-Plus and replaced it with a Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS4 and I'm wondering if I will have any problems with the components listed in my signature. I've assembled and tested the main components but have not been in Windows yet. Primary concerns are the memory and sound card. The sound card has never worked properly in the Asus board and after my experience with an Asus X38 board and I'm leery of QVL lists and Crucial RAM.
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
    CPU-Q6600 B3 Lapped 9X333, ZALMAN CNPS9700 NT w/OCZ Freeze
    MB-GIGABYTE GA-EP35-DS4
    MEM-3 GIGs Crucials
    VIDEO CARD-EVGA 8800 GTS 512
    HD-BOOT WD1600AAJS SATA2
    HD-2x WD5000ABYS SATA2 (RAID 0)
    HD-WD 3200JB 8MB IDE
    DVD-RW-PIONEER DVR-112DBK IDE
    FLOPPY-SONY 1.44MB
    CASE-APEVIA MX-PLEASURE (3x80mm IN & 1x120mm OUT)
    PS-ANTEC NEO POWER 650W
    SOUND-SB EXTREMEGAMER FATAL1TY PRO W/ I/O UPGRADE KIT
    TV-HAUPPAUGE WINTV-PVR USB 2.0
    OS-MICROSOFT WINDOWS MCE 2005 / SP3

Default Re: Noob with Gigagyte Boards

Only trouble you might run into is with the RAM but other than that all looks good!

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Should be ok, the ram May or may not give you issues. Some say they have no problems, others do run into issues. As for the sound card, I am not sure myself as I do not use one, but it would likely be ok I would think.

If not, maybe someone here who has one will chime in to give you their thoughts

I had issues installing Windows vista and XP with a soundcard in place, if it locks up just pull the sound card and install later on!

Thanks for the responses, better to have the possibility of success than a bad absolute.

I can tell you if you go with Vista and plan to install SP1 to install it first BEFORE the Motherboard drivers and other drivers and be sure when you are done either way with any OS download the latest Inf installer from Intel >>>
    Download Software, Drivers and Utilities Filters

I ran with crucial ballistix 8500 in my X38 DQ6, so i don't think ypu sjhould have to many issues. Not sure about the P35 but I found the 2.66 divider was best.

luck:)
    Gigabyte X48T DQ6, E8400, 2GB CellShock DDR3 PC3-15000 1866MHz, 8800 GTS, 4x80Gb Matrix Raid + 2x 500gb , Lian V2000+, wter cooling

Thanks for the help. Love the board, system hasnít been above 35c, the hot core saw 62c with the room temp at 26.7c during Prime & OCCT stressing and 54c tops during 3dmark 03. The sound card is working great, better than the other 2 MBs it has been in. The RAM is at 5:6, 800mhz 4-4-4-12-performance level 9, 2.10v and now that I know what tRead is for Iíll tighten that to a PL of 5 next weekend and all my RAM is shown 3072 not 3006 Windows and BIOS. The only driver that gave me some problems was a HP printer thatís still connected using the parallel port, in fact my Windows OEM loaded up without having to spend 30 minutes on the phone explaining that my MB had been replaced due to failure.
    <!--[if !supportEmptyParas]--> <!--[endif]--><o:p></o:p>
    Before Q6600 B3 at 9x296, Vcore BIOS 1.22v, load ?, room 21c, hottest core 67c
    Now Q6600 B3 at 9x333, Vcore BIOS 1.25v, load 1.22v, room 26.7c, hottest core 62c
    Lapping works.
    <!--[if !supportEmptyParas]--> <!--[endif]--><o:p></o:p>
    Still have to work on voltages and RAM timings a little and once I figure out the BIOS this is going to be one nice board.

Vista is a ways off, have some work related software thats not compatible.

Good to see you got all setup fine!

Hey well if you want vista, but still need work software you could always setup dual boot and use XP when you need that work stuff done

Lsdmeasap

Dual booting there was a time when I would have done it and did, but now I just want to play a game, record some music, watch a HD-DVD or work and not spend time trying to figure things out. In fact I was still using Windows 2000 on my gaming rig till 6 months ago because I had no reason to upgrade. When native 64 bit becomes common place and most of the bugs worked out, Iíll be right there.

I have two questions, from reading some posts I got the impression that system temp and NB temp are one and the same. The other question concerns the 4 pin molex connector on the MB for when two video cards are used. Since Iíve changed boards Iíve been unable to clock my video memory much past stock, when as before 40 mhz was no problem, now 15 mhz artifacts. The core and shader are where they were before but the memory just wonít do it, so if I plugged a power lead to the molex connector would it lead to greater stability. I would try it but all my cabling is tied down and the box is under the desk and Iím tried of seeing the inside of the case. Iíve already added .10 to all voltages as suggest by you in another post for stability.

I ended up a lot faster than what I started out, wanted Q6700 speed and 800mhz 4-4-4-12 timings on the ram, ended up with

Q6600 B3
    9X333, Vcore, BIOS 1.225v, idle 1.216v, load 1.20v, VID 1.3125

2x512 & 2x1024, Crucial Ballistic DDR2 800 Rated at 2.2v
    1000 (3.0) 2:3, Timings 5-5-5-12-3-3-6-30-3-5-1, BIOS +0.25v (Everst 2.10v)

11 hours Prime stable before I turned it off, 2 one hour runs on OCCT, 14000 3dMark 06 nothing outstanding but extremely useable.

So to you and Gigabyte

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information