Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: GA-X48-DS5 totally unstable - need some help

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: GA-X48-DS5 totally unstable - need some help

Hmm, 2 people eh? Coulda been buggy BIOS then? Not sure, but I do know it is not normal.

I was partially kidding about IE, but if you were using it I was going to suggest trying Firefox to see if IE was causing the crash itself or not.

Not sure why it's 71, but 48-54 should be fine with only 4GB

Being that your freezing is random, do you by chance have or know how to setup a dual boot so you could test a clean install with no programs, drivers, ect loaded? That way you could rule out your drivers and apps as a possible cause.

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    Hmm, 2 people eh? Coulda been buggy BIOS then? Not sure, but I do know it is not normal.

I was partially kidding about IE, but if you were using it I was going to suggest trying Firefox to see if IE was causing the crash itself or not.

Not sure why it's 71, but 48-54 should be fine with only 4GB
    The 400MHz SPD settings are 54 on this memory.

It was okay up until Saturday evening when I rebooted to overclock. Afterwards I lowered the MCH voltage to +0.075V very late on Saturday night and about 24 hours later it froze up. I have increased the MCH to +0.125V and lowered the tRFC to 58 to test these for stability. It's is so rare that it is difficult to test for.

Being that your freezing is random, do you by chance have or know how to setup a dual boot so you could test a clean install with no programs, drivers, ect loaded? That way you could rule out your drivers and apps as a possible cause.
    lol Dual boot? I have 6 windows installs on this PC, plus 1 Linux. One is very old and needs scrapping. But the freezing has happened on 3 of them. The others are too rarely used that it doesn't happen quick enough to affect them as it can sometimes take days to happen. 24 hours is a low figure.

My PC is in and out of standby when not being used.

If tRC cannot be set how can stability be maintained when overclocking memory? The tRC figure shown in the memset SPD figures shows it increasing with memory clock speed. Is that why these boards are so bad when overclocking memory that I have heard about? I'm fairly sure it can be set on other manufacturer's boards, it can even be set on my older nForce 2 DFI board.
    Gigabyte X48-DS5 F7 Bios
    Intel Q9450 2.66GHz 8 x 333, 8 x 438 (3.5GHz when overclocked) 1.35V with Intel Power saving enabled
    Windows XP Pro SP2 32 bit
    2x2GB OCZ Reaper HPC PC2-8500
    Corsair HX 520 PSU
    Gigabyte GV-RX385512H HD3850 512MB
    Western Digital WD5000ABYS 500GB SATA hard drive
    Western Digital WD5000YS 500GB SATA hard drive - disconnected
    Seagate 250GB SATA hard drive
    Samsung 1TB
    Samsung 500GB
    Seagate 80GB
    BenQ 1640 IDE DVD-ReWriter
    NEC 3520 IDE DVD-ReWriter
    Pinnacle Dual DVB-T PCI Tuner
    Mystique Dual PCI-e DVB-S2
    mCubed T Balancer Fan controller controlling 6 case fans and CPU fan - CPU fan recently changed after system freezing started with new higher speed CPU fan.
    minifan blowing through northbridge

tRC is set by the SPD programmed in the modules, it will be set correctly by the BIOS.

You may need +0.15-0.2 MCH for full stability.

tRC is set by the SPD programmed in the modules, it will be set correctly by the BIOS.

You may need +0.15-0.2 MCH for full stability.
    It's not stable, it has froze up repeatedly with various Bios settings since your post. It has frozen on Tuesday and Wednesday and sometime over the last hour and a half. The MCH is 0.2 tRead set to 10 Refresh to ACT 72 DDR2 2.1. What should loadline be set to? I have it enabled.

This is hopeless, I have never had this level of instability before and I keep losing work because of it and I have just about had enough of it.

It's still trashing my Bios despite changing the settings you recommended. It's no wonder Gigabyte released 2 more revisions of this board after mine.
    Gigabyte X48-DS5 F7 Bios
    Intel Q9450 2.66GHz 8 x 333, 8 x 438 (3.5GHz when overclocked) 1.35V with Intel Power saving enabled
    Corsair HX 520 PSU
    Samsung 1TB
    Samsung 500GB
    Seagate 80GB
    mCubed T Balancer Fan controller controlling 6 case fans and CPU fan - CPU fan recently changed after system freezing started with new higher speed CPU fan.

It very well could be the memory is not compatible, that brand (And the Cor. one) had several issues with P35/X38/X48, it has been a while though so I haven't seen many mentions of it lately because most people are using newer boards.

Can you borrow a different set of memory just to test with, to see if maybe this memory itself is not compatible?

Are you even sure memory is the issue? I mean, it could be your CPU since you are overclocked. If you are sure it is not the CPU you may want to try borrowing some other ram to see if this will help you sort this out.

It very well could be the memory is not compatible, that brand (And the Cor. one) had several issues with P35/X38/X48, it has been a while though so I haven't seen many mentions of it lately because most people are using newer boards.

Can you borrow a different set of memory just to test with, to see if maybe this memory itself is not compatible?
    I do have 2 1GB sticks of some cheaper PC6400 memory Kingston KVR800D2N5/1G that I purchased just after getting this board when I was having problems with it initially.

Are you even sure memory is the issue? I mean, it could be your CPU since you are overclocked. If you are sure it is not the CPU you may want to try borrowing some other ram to see if this will help you sort this out.
    I have no idea that it is the memory.

It's not overclocked. The CPU is running at it's default speed and voltage when the freezes/lock ups happen.
    Gigabyte X48-DS5 F7 Bios
    Corsair HX 520 PSU
    Samsung 1TB
    Samsung 500GB
    Seagate 80GB

Since you are at defaults, then it really may just be the memory itself causing these issues.

Do you still have issues with the kingstons, or have you not tried them lately?

Since you are at defaults, then it really may just be the memory itself causing these issues.

Do you still have issues with the kingstons, or have you not tried them lately?
    I haven't tried them recently, I only installed them for a brief trial to test they worked. I believe they are on the Gigabyte compatibility memory list which is why I purchased them.

If the OCZ modules have any incompatibility, flashing the spd might fix them, I believe that OCZ have software to do that. But I would only want to do that if I was certain it was the memory that is causing the problem. The problem is so random and can take so long to test that working it out is difficult.
    Gigabyte X48-DS5 F7 Bios
    Corsair HX 520 PSU
    Samsung 1TB
    Samsung 500GB
    Seagate 80GB

You would need to ask them about flashing the SPD, I can't advise on if that would help or not.

It may not, they may just not be compatible with the current Gigabyte BIOS for this board.

You would need to ask them about flashing the SPD, I can't advise on if that would help or not.

It may not, they may just not be compatible with the current Gigabyte BIOS for this board.
    I think that if it is the memory, the timings that are in the SPD chip might be what could be causing the problems, but messing around with them isn't something I really want to do unless absolutely necessary because it could prevent them working. It won't be possible to flash them back unless the memory is working. But if there is a possibility of getting them working fully then it might be an option. I will ask on the OCZ forum if the memory can be confirmed as the problem.

I have put the Kingston memory in for now but there isn't much time to test it. I need all 4GB of my memory for the weekend.
    Gigabyte X48-DS5 F7 Bios
    Corsair HX 520 PSU
    Samsung 1TB
    Samsung 500GB
    Seagate 80GB

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread Information