Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: GA-X48-DS5 totally unstable - need some help

Default Re: GA-X48-DS5 totally unstable - need some help

I swapped the PSU's last night which took longer than expected as the Molex to PCI-e power converter wouldn't fit the power connector. I could not find the one which came with the graphics card until I had messed around with it for 2 hours trying to cut the one I had available and finally gave up on it and found the one that did fit.

5 hours after getting that up and running it froze up and locked. So not the PSU. I have removed the IDE lead as this motherboard doesn't work well with long IDE cables. I had lots of trouble with it when I first got it until I fitted a slightly shorter cable, it's a full tower case so they can't get very short.

It's locked up 3 times so far today and twice while attempting to compile a new Windows XP CD which has trebled the time it should of taken. I had an idea about the SATA cables as I was taking some measurements for a new heatsink while browsing some reviews. One drive, several partitions went missing so I think that maybe there is a cable fault. It doesn't really explain why the PC would lock up having a none system partition going missing but the drive that went missing does contain a Win XP install that I usually use. But I was using a different install while doing the XP CD which is on a different drive entirely. So I have changed the cables on the drives containing the Windows installs.

I did flash to F8f as F8c & d had both been freezing up very quickly and didn't overclock very well.

It has a Bios backup to hdd setting and it did look like it was updating the Bios backup to a newer version which has never been done before. It's always been a very early buggy version F5.
    Gigabyte X48-DS5 F7 Bios
    Intel Q9450 2.66GHz 8 x 333, 8 x 438 (3.5GHz when overclocked) 1.35V with Intel Power saving enabled
    Windows XP Pro SP2 32 bit
    2x2GB OCZ Reaper HPC PC2-8500
    Corsair HX 520 PSU
    Gigabyte GV-RX385512H HD3850 512MB
    Western Digital WD5000ABYS 500GB SATA hard drive
    Western Digital WD5000YS 500GB SATA hard drive - disconnected
    Seagate 250GB SATA hard drive
    Samsung 1TB
    Samsung 500GB
    Seagate 80GB
    BenQ 1640 IDE DVD-ReWriter
    NEC 3520 IDE DVD-ReWriter
    Pinnacle Dual DVB-T PCI Tuner
    Mystique Dual PCI-e DVB-S2
    mCubed T Balancer Fan controller controlling 6 case fans and CPU fan - CPU fan recently changed after system freezing started with new higher speed CPU fan.
    minifan blowing through northbridge

Wow this must have you pulling your hair out by now lol, have you thought about changing out the RAM for another brand like say a couple of 2 gig sticks of corsair just to be sure that it's not a compatability issue with your current OCZ ram???? I have 4 gig of OCZ ram in the cupboard that I raked of my X48 because of hard locks etc and I put the corsair stuff on and I clocked up my Q9450 to 3.2 with 400fsb and I am stable 24/7. My power supply is a 1000watt Zalman.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

I agree, maybe you should try some other memory and see if this is the issue or not

Thank you JustRob & Lsdmeasap for your replies. I have already swapped the memory so memory certainly isn't the problem. I have some Gigabyte certified Kingston 2x1GB PC6400 memory that exhibited the same problems. It made absolutely no difference and was just as unstable. The only things I haven't changed are the CPU and graphics card. Windows has been used on two different hard drives.

The SATA cables seemed unlikely to me as I have had faulty SATA cables in the past and they were noticeable but there doesn't look anything wrong with the two I changed. But so far it has been stable and with the F8f Bios and that is a little better. But still not really tested, it requires a lot longer.
    Gigabyte X48-DS5 F7 Bios
    Intel Q9450 2.66GHz 8 x 333, 8 x 438 (3.5GHz when overclocked) 1.35V with Intel Power saving enabled
    Corsair HX 520 PSU
    Samsung 1TB
    Samsung 500GB
    Seagate 80GB
    mCubed T Balancer Fan controller controlling 6 case fans and CPU fan - CPU fan recently changed after system freezing started with new higher speed CPU fan.

Well it would seem that you more than likely have a software conflict that may be running in the background that could be causing the stability problems, seeing to me you have pretty much exhausted the hardware option. Why don't you disable all things that run when windows starts like messenger, yahoo or what ever starts with windows, then go into your msconfig then startup tab and disable all hit ok, then reboot as windows will load only what it needs. See if that helps?

If you did decide to go along that route, I would just test in safe mode as it would be easier and quicker, then my next step would be a clean install.

Sorry, I missed that you now have tried 2 different memory, is the Kingston the exact model on the QVL?

I doubt cables are an issue either, but you can easily get a few new ones on ebay for $1 each or less if you look around

Quote Originally Posted by JustRob View Post
    Well it would seem that you more than likely have a software conflict that may be running in the background that could be causing the stability problems, seeing to me you have pretty much exhausted the hardware option. Why don't you disable all things that run when windows starts like messenger, yahoo or what ever starts with windows, then go into your msconfig then startup tab and disable all hit ok, then reboot as windows will load only what it needs. See if that helps?
    I have 4 windows XP installs on two hard drives and 3 of them, 3 on one drive and the other, the main one on the last drive I purchased. So I have tried 2 XP installs on one drive and my main usage install on another fairly new drive and all have experienced the same problem. They are all different with different software and setups.

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    If you did decide to go along that route, I would just test in safe mode as it would be easier and quicker, then my next step would be a clean install.

Sorry, I missed that you now have tried 2 different memory, is the Kingston the exact model on the QVL?
    Yes the Kingston is on the QVL list.

I doubt cables are an issue either, but you can easily get a few new ones on ebay for $1 each or less if you look around
    The drive did disappear from my computer explorer window and if that occurred with the system drive, even very briefly then I think it would lock up the PC not being able to write to the page file.

I have been testing an overclock so can't really judge whether there has been a problem. I have put my Corsair PSU back in.
    Last edited by RedDwarf; 06-12-2010 at 11:47 PM.
    Gigabyte X48-DS5 F7 Bios
    Corsair HX 520 PSU
    Samsung 1TB
    Samsung 500GB
    Seagate 80GB

Hmm, now I wonder about that, quickly removing the page file/OS drive?

I might test that for you on purpose this weekend just to see what happens, I'll try to remember

It didn't stop the lock ups. I overclocked and when I returned to default clock shortly after it locked up.

I am wondering about Loadline calibration. I have now set that to Auto and so far everything has been stable. It was set to Enabled at default and overclocked but I don't know why I did that. I have been reading about it and don't like what I have read, I might disable it for the overclock and see how far I can get it.

I have seen that it is recommended to be disabled. I did ask about it before but no one answered.
    Gigabyte X48-DS5 F7 Bios
    Corsair HX 520 PSU
    Samsung 1TB
    Samsung 500GB
    Seagate 80GB

What didn't stop the lockups?

Sorry if I missed your LLC question, I suggest it be enabled for an overclock

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread Information