Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: GA-X48-DS5 totally unstable - need some help

Default Re: GA-X48-DS5 totally unstable - need some help

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    What didn't stop the lockups?
    The changed SATA cables.
    Sorry if I missed your LLC question, I suggest it be enabled for an overclock
    For some reason, known only to fairies , I have had it enabled for quite a long time when using default clock. I can't say it has done anything for the CPU voltage, it still seems to run very low, even with DES disabled and uninstalled.

I did read that it can cause instability on Core 2 45nm CPU's and it certainly seems to of done on my system when at default clock and vCore.

I don't like what I read on Anandtech about it's effects so I think I will turn off the Intel power saving and try disabling it when I overclock. It might only be more damaging when working with higher voltages when the voltage is already over the Intel safe limits. I have always stayed within the limits set by Intel of around 1.36V so I should be okay. Although my CPU has been borderline stable @ 3.5GHz 1.35V with all power saving except DES enabled. It did complete 25 runs of LinX on Friday when testing the F8f Bios for overclocking stability.

It needs some days testing now but I do expect that it will fix the instability at default clock. But whether it will fix the Bios corruption problem and clock inaccuracy problems that my board has, at least on the later I very much doubt. A high precision event timer and a clock more inaccurate than the cheapest watch that people get given for some promotion event or out of a Christmas cracker.
    Gigabyte X48-DS5 F7 Bios
    Intel Q9450 2.66GHz 8 x 333, 8 x 438 (3.5GHz when overclocked) 1.35V with Intel Power saving enabled
    Windows XP Pro SP2 32 bit
    2x2GB OCZ Reaper HPC PC2-8500
    Corsair HX 520 PSU
    Gigabyte GV-RX385512H HD3850 512MB
    Western Digital WD5000ABYS 500GB SATA hard drive
    Western Digital WD5000YS 500GB SATA hard drive - disconnected
    Seagate 250GB SATA hard drive
    Samsung 1TB
    Samsung 500GB
    Seagate 80GB
    BenQ 1640 IDE DVD-ReWriter
    NEC 3520 IDE DVD-ReWriter
    Pinnacle Dual DVB-T PCI Tuner
    Mystique Dual PCI-e DVB-S2
    mCubed T Balancer Fan controller controlling 6 case fans and CPU fan - CPU fan recently changed after system freezing started with new higher speed CPU fan.
    minifan blowing through northbridge

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Ohh ok, bout the cables :)

LLC is fine, I always use it even at high voltages and have never had any issues. That Anandtech news is old, and was a 1 time thing that was never proven to be caused directly by LLC.

It is up to you to decide though of course, but it will help with overclocks, stock it is not needed at all.

Good luck with the testing

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    Ohh ok, bout the cables :)

LLC is fine, I always use it even at high voltages and have never had any issues. That Anandtech news is old, and was a 1 time thing that was never proven to be caused directly by LLC.

It is up to you to decide though of course, but it will help with overclocks, stock it is not needed at all.

Good luck with the testing
    Well it locked up overnight so auto LLC doesn't help. I will have to try Disabled but I am running out of options.

If that fails, I will try removing everything, then rebuild with a minimum setup, Kingston QVL Ram, one hard drive and new Windows install and if it still locks up after that I will RMA the board as soon as I am able, which should be within a couple of weeks.

It can't continue like this, I don't have any further time to waste on this board, it has had faults from the beginning with Bios corruption, system clock unreliability, Bios fan warning problems and instability and having no cure is not acceptable.
    Gigabyte X48-DS5 F7 Bios
    Intel Q9450 2.66GHz 8 x 333, 8 x 438 (3.5GHz when overclocked) 1.35V with Intel Power saving enabled
    Windows XP Pro SP2 32 bit
    2x2GB OCZ Reaper HPC PC2-8500
    Corsair HX 520 PSU
    Gigabyte GV-RX385512H HD3850 512MB
    Western Digital WD5000ABYS 500GB SATA hard drive
    Western Digital WD5000YS 500GB SATA hard drive - disconnected
    Seagate 250GB SATA hard drive
    Samsung 1TB
    Samsung 500GB
    Seagate 80GB
    BenQ 1640 IDE DVD-ReWriter
    NEC 3520 IDE DVD-ReWriter
    Pinnacle Dual DVB-T PCI Tuner
    Mystique Dual PCI-e DVB-S2
    mCubed T Balancer Fan controller controlling 6 case fans and CPU fan - CPU fan recently changed after system freezing started with new higher speed CPU fan.
    minifan blowing through northbridge

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

LLC should only matter under a load, it will stop the vcore from dropping a lot under load

Let us know how your rebuild goes.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread Information