Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Help me with storage decision

Default Help me with storage decision

I have a seagate drive right now with the famous AAK firmware, not meant for desktops but for servers only and it kinda sucks and seagate did nothing about it for people who bought this 7200.10 drive
    Seagate's AAK-firmware

anyway its not the issue, its more like the beginning...
    i want a fast storage system but i don't want the headaches of raid, maybe in the future when i have more $$$

right now i run my sata drive on my p35 ds3r through the ich9r on IDE mode in bios. i know achi doesn't give much at all.

so...i went and bought me a Seagate ST3320613AS despite the previous disappointment i had with the 7200.10 drive.i went for this one because I made some home work-
    i went through tomshardware 3.5'' charts, listed the top 3 in every bench, then counted the times each drive was in the top 3. i had 3 winners and the cheapest is this one.

i want to run windows xp from the new drive, divide it into 3 partitions aprox 100gb each, install it into c: and run the second drive in 2 partitions for storage on the other controller, also I want to have my page file there.

1)is this the fastest thing todo without raid?
    2)you think i made a good choice about the drive? it not here yet i just couldn't resist such perforance 80.5409$ when i was the hd after reading tomshardware charts. i can still cancal the order .
    3)should the new drive run from the ich9r or gigabyte chip
    4)how do i set master/slave for drives on seperate controllers.
    Last edited by y0nigt; 06-13-2008 at 06:22 AM.

Default Re: Help me with storage decision

Quote Originally Posted by y0nigt View Post
    I have a seagate drive right now with the famous AAK firmware, not meant for desktops but for servers only and it kinda sucks and seagate did nothing about it for people who bought this 7200.10 drive
    Seagate's AAK-firmware

anyway its not the issue, its more like the beginning...
    i want a fast storage system but i don't want the headaches of raid, maybe in the future when i have more $$$

right now i run my sata drive on my p35 ds3r through the ich9r on IDE mode in bios. i know achi doesn't give much at all.

so...i went and bought me a Seagate ST3320613AS despite the previous disappointment i had with the 7200.10 drive.i went for this one because I made some home work-
    i went through tomshardware 3.5'' charts, listed the top 3 in every bench, then counted the times each drive was in the top 3. i had 3 winners and the cheapest is this one.

i want to run windows xp from the new drive, divide it into 3 partitions aprox 100gb each, install it into c: and run the second drive in 2 partitions for storage on the other controller, also I want to have my page file there.

1)is this the fastest thing todo without raid?
    2)you think i made a good choice about the drive? it not here yet i just couldn't resist such perforance 80.5409$ when i was the hd after reading tomshardware charts. i can still cancal the order .
    3)should the new drive run from the ich9r or gigabyte chip
    4)how do i set master/slave for drives on seperate controllers.
    I wouldn't put my Page File on another Physical drive and from experience I've always found it most reliable (with Windows) that it is on the same logical drive as the OS.
    Also data at the start of the drive will have the greatest throughput due to faster platter relative speed.
    Keeping it defrag'd will help too.
    In addition to Windows defrag, there's the freebie:- Disk Defrag - Reclaim the Speed Of Your Disks

and commercial software such as:-
    Perfect Disk,
    Disk Keeper
    &
    O&O Defrag

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Yeap, PerfectDisk Is great! If you can buy a software for defragging I would suggest that.

I have seen different results with pagefiles on seperate drives, some faster/better others did not fair so well. Your best bet with that is to test each way.

And as VorLonUK said you want your OS first on the disk as you know, same would go for your pagefile if you put it on a different drive

Master/Slave is not needed/Used in SATA if you get or have a disk with a jumper on it, Remove it now. Those are placed on some drives shipped out and not on others, but main things being in SATA jumper is used ONLY to limit the drive speed to SATA I or 1.5/GBs

I use the latest perfectdisk ! best defrag program for me!

VorLonUK
    I wouldn't put my Page File on another Physical drive and from experience I've always found it most reliable (with Windows) that it is on the same logical drive as the OS.
    Also data at the start of the drive will have the greatest throughput due to faster platter relative speed.
    Isn't it more logical to assume performance would be better if you access your page file and your boot drive in a parallel way through different controllers and physical drives?
    I think you might be confused with putting the page file on a different partition on the same physical drive, which would make the "data at the start of the drive" make sense.
    I can't see any reason why the page file would be more safe in c:\ rather than another drive. If i do it in the future i might leave a small 32mb page on c:\ just to be safe .and a larger page file on the seperate drive(and maybe even controller)

Lsdmeasap
    Master/Slave is not needed/Used in SATA if you get or have a disk with a jumper on it, Remove it now. Those are placed on some drives shipped out and not on others, but main things being in SATA jumper is used ONLY to limit the drive speed to SATA I or 1.5/GBs
    1)how do i set drive order than? i want the new drive to be first
    2)how do i set drive order if i'm gonna use two different controllers?
    3) I need a conclusive answer to this question - is nqc active when using this in bios
    SATA RAID/AHCI Mode [IDE]
    SATA Port0-3 Native Mode [Enabled]
    with a sata drive and windows xp sp3 without ich9 f6 driver and matrix storage driver?

i'm confused about this issue - if ncq is active with this config then why is ahci slightly faster in most benchmarks?

4)whats the best config for my drives? both on ich9 as ahc/ide+native?both on the jmicron contr. as achi? or each seperate with some other config?
    what would be the fastest BRING OUT THE SPEED!(no raid please of course)
    Last edited by y0nigt; 06-13-2008 at 09:02 PM.

Isn't it more logical to assume performance would be better if you access your page file and your boot drive in a parallel way through different controllers and physical drives?
    I think you might be confused with putting the page file on a different partition on the same physical drive, which would make the "data at the start of the drive" make sense.
    I can't see any reason why the page file would be more safe in c:\ rather than another drive. If i do it in the future i might leave a small 32mb page on c:\ just to be safe .and a larger page file on the seperate drive(and maybe even controller)
    Confused - No!

In my comments I said "reliable", mainly because I have had problems in the past with a Swap File on another physical drive.
    In theory if it is on the start of another physical drive, has plenty of room and is defragmented it should perform well.
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s.../bb897426.aspx
    However, you have to ensure that you don't have any hard drive power down options enabled, which means your secondary swap drive will have to run continuously like your OS drive. If you do use any form of power down for the drives then problems arise.
    Also if problems are present or arise over time with the drives, it might be hard to quickly know what drive is causing the problem as you have effectively "spanned" the OS over two physical disks.

I hate power saving options anyway - I always turn them off via bios and nlite the rest out of windows!
    thanks for telling me to make sure of this though, I didn't know it!

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

1. Set drive order by putting the disk on the 0 port then, they are labeled.
    2. The order will be chosen by your Boot disk priority settings.
    3. NCQ is active setting it or not if you are planning to use Vista ONLY (If your disk supports it) IN XP NCQ will not be used unless you turn on AHCI. You want settings like this >>
    SATA RAID/AHCI Mode [Disabled]
    SATA Port0-3 Native Mode [Enabled]

Benchmarks all depend on many other things as well, like Ram and CPU too. You would have to try your own benchmarks to really tell the difference, but even if there is a difference it would be very small

For the GA chip you want >>>
    Onboard SATA/IDE Device [Enabled]
    Onboard SATA/IDE Ctrl Mode [IDE]

I have tried my PC with many benchmarks (Vista 64) with both AHCI on or off. The only major difference in the benchmarks I've found is the Burst Rate (hdtune)

You will find that many utility type disks, including WD diagnostics, MHDD, Seagate tools and some windows based tools will load but not show any data when the Bios has been set to AHCI. Reverting back to IDE mode will allow the tools to work.

Some software such as PCWizard CPUID will show Hard drive SMART data regardless of in AHCI mode or not, whereas HDtune won't on the OS drive.

Note too that AHCI needs to be enabled before installing Vista, so that the appropiate driver can be enabled. There is a long winded work around if you were to say install Vista in IDE mode and then wish to switch to AHCI after a full installation.
    Vista supports AHCI out of the box and certainly for the GA-P35C-DS3R I didn't need to create any driver disks etc.
    Last edited by VorLonUK; 06-14-2008 at 06:14 AM.

Thread Information