Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gigabyte GA-X48-DQ6 not running G.Skill PC2 8500 at rated timings

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: Gigabyte GA-X48-DQ6 not running G.Skill PC2 8500 at rated timings

Ya I would think that rules out a bad stick, highly unlikely they are bad at the same spot....But you never know!

Normally a bad bit at the same spot DOES mean a bad IC Chip on the ram.

Is your NB hot to the touch?

I would say to watch out using the Original BIOS it may not support that CPU, just download the latest one that is NON beta but supports your CPU

I haven’t flashed back to the original BIOS yet. This motherboard just became available a few months ago and shipped with BIOS F6 (2/29/08). The F7b beta BIOS (4/3/08) description states “Update CPU ID”. Since I have the relatively new Intel Q9450, I thought the beta BIOS might be a good idea. I also installed it hoping it might help with the RAM errors I was getting with the F6 BIOS. I can flash back to F6 after I try a few more things, such as test my OCZ memory.
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
    Regarding the RAM and NB temps, I was concerned that they were not getting any direct airflow so a couple nights ago I installed a 80mm fan about 4-5 inches from the RAM and NB. That should keep them cool enough. However, I doubt there ever was a NB or RAM overheating issue causing the Memtest+ errors since I had the errors when running at stock FSB (333) and voltages, and when underclocking the G.Skill memory at DDR2 800.
    <o:p></o:p>
    Last night I retested the G.Skill with what I originally thought was an error-free configuration, but with higher MCH and FSB voltages than I had tried before. I set the FSB to 400 (CPU @ 3.20 GHz), Multiplier for DDR2 1066, all RAM timing and subtiming to Auto (5-7-7-20), MCH to +0.15, FSB to +0.10, DDR OV to +0.30 and Vcore to 1.250V. After running Memtest+ looping Test #6 for about 9 hours I got 2 errors. That is about the best I have seen considering that when I thought I was running error-free I was cycling through all the Memtest+ tests. I also tested under the same condition as above but at DDR2 800 and 5-5-5-15 or looser timings, also resulting in Memtest+ errors.
    I always get the same Memtest+ Err Bits result – 00008000. I get that same result even after I swap the RAM between channels or move the RAM to the 2<SUP>nd</SUP> pair of sockets. If my understanding of the Err Bits result and the hardware is correct, that would mean it is one line or bit on the MB Data Bus that is having an issue. It is either the MB itself or a compatibility issue between my particular MB and G.Skill modules. That is why I thought it a good idea to more thoroughly test my OCZ memory.
    This morning I installed the 2x1GB OCZ memory and set the FSB to 400 (CPU @ 3.20 GHz), Multiplier for DDR2 800, RAM timing to 4-4-4-12 and all subtiming to Auto, MCH to Normal, FSB to Normal, DDR OV to +0.20 and Vcore to 1.250V. If my OCZ RAM can run Test #6 for 8 hours or more error-free, I believe my next step should be to exchange the G.Skill modules for another pair. If I get the same Err Bits error with the OCZ memory, then I believe I have isolated the problem to the MB. I can then flash back to the F6 BIOS and test the OCZ memory again. If the error repeats, then I have a hardware problem with the MB and it needs to be replaced. Do you concur? Do you have any other ideas? Is there any reason to suspect any other piece of hardware in my system? I don’t think so, but I am open to suggestion.
    Anyway, I really appreciate the time and help you have given me.
    Thanks,
    Ira
    EQUIPMENT:<o:p></o:p>
    Gigabyte GA-X48-DQ6<o:p></o:p>
    Intel Q9450 Core 2 Quad OEM<o:p></o:p>
    G.Skill 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 1066<o:p></o:p>
    OCZ Vendetta 2 CPU Heatsink + OCZ Freeze<o:p></o:p>
    ECS N8800GT-512MX+<o:p></o:p>
    AirLink101 AWLH6080 300N Wireless PCI Adapter<o:p></o:p>
    Antec P182 Gunmetal Black Case <o:p></o:p>
    2 x Nocuta NF-P12 fans (1 on OCZ V2, 1 on rear of case, both at 1400 rpm)<o:p></o:p>
    Corsair HX620W<o:p></o:p>
    BYTECC PCIe SATA II + PATA<o:p></o:p>
    1 x 300 GB Seagate SATA<o:p></o:p>
    1 x 500 GB Seagate SATA<o:p></o:p>
    2 x 1 TB WD SATA<o:p></o:p>
    2 x 750 GB Seagate PATA (connected via BYTECC card)<o:p></o:p>
    Pioneer 20X SATA DVR-215DBK (SATA)<o:p></o:p>
    Plextor PX-760 (PATA)<o:p></o:p>
    Lite-On 52x CD-RW (PATA)
    Last edited by Ira; 06-15-2008 at 04:31 PM.

That beta was to add support for the cheaper 45nm's. F6 will work for your CPU as seen here >>>
    GIGABYTE - Support - Motherboard - CPU Support List - GA-X48-DQ6

And yeah, I agree with you about the bad bits. It can't keep being in the same spot with different ram or configuration's of ram without it being the board

Well, the 2x1GB OCZ memory has been running Memtest+ Test #6 for over 11 hrs and has completed 162 passes with 0 errors. The relevant settings are as follows:<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
    Robust Graphics Booster: Auto<o:p></o:p>
    CPU Clock Ratio: 8X<o:p></o:p>
    FSB: 400 (CPU @ 3.20 GHz)<o:p></o:p>
    PCIe Frequency: 100<o:p></o:p>
    Memory Multiplier: 2.0D (DDR2 800)<o:p></o:p>
    Performance Enhance: Standard<o:p></o:p>
    RAM Timing: 4-4-4-12<o:p></o:p>
    All Memory Subtiming: Auto<o:p></o:p>
    DDR OV: +0.20<o:p></o:p>
    PCIe: Normal<o:p></o:p>
    FSB: Normal<o:p></o:p>
    MCH: Normal<o:p></o:p>
    Vcore: 1.250V (Normal CPU Vcore = 1.18750V)<o:p></o:p>
    <o:p> </o:p>
    Since I couldn’t do this with the G.Skill even with loose timing, higher voltages and underclocking down to DDR2 800, I have to believe the problem is either the G.Skill memory or that the Gigabyte MB doesn’t like the extra loading from 2x2GB modules, perhaps due to an issue in the MB that is sensitive to extra loading.<o:p></o:p>
    I hadn’t looked at the CPU support page but you are right about F6 supporting my Q9450. Do you still think I should flash back to BIOS F6? I originally flashed F7b to see if it might help with the problems running the G.Skill at their rated timing, but it made no difference. Gigabyte claims that their beta BIOS is “a new version that is reliable yet may not include all the features of the final product.” I have had no issues with F7b so I kept it. I check for F7 Final nearly every day, though, since I generally do not like beta firmware or drivers.<o:p></o:p>
    Do you agree that there is an issue with the G.Skill memory and I should exchange it?<o:p></o:p>
    Or could it still be an issue with the MB when using any 2x2GB or perhaps even 4x1GB memory? I am concerned that the replacement G.Skill will have the same issue.<o:p></o:p>
    Thanks again,<o:p></o:p>
    Ira
    Last edited by Ira; 06-15-2008 at 04:30 PM.

Also, I have a quick question about the FSB hole at 400 MHz. Should this hole always prevent posting at FSB 400 or can it be an intermittant issue or a function of other settings such as the Memory Multiplier? I was wondering because I originally discovered this problem when I noticed in Vista that my CPU speed had dropped from my OC of 3.2 GHz down to the stock 2.66 GHz. Searching for an answer to this problem lead me to these forums and a post of yours that described the FSB 400 hole. Changing the FSB to 402 solved the problem.

However, for the past day I have set the FSB to 400 instead of 402 and have rebooted into Memtest+ many times and it has not reverted back to FSB 333. Could the hole have been partly due to not bumping up the MCH voltage? The only other difference is that the PCIe Frequency is now at 100 instead of Auto, again per your suggestion in these forums.

Thanks,

Ira

Ya, since your OCZ is running good, I would say there may be some manufacturer defect with the G.Skills. If you still can get a new replacement for a DOA set of sticks. They should work far better with your board then OCZ ones.

How do they do on Test #2 and #5, either ones? Those are the tests I always run the most of. If ram is going to fail it will for sure on #5

Yeah the 400 hole is not a exact thing, just generally easier to do a little more or less then exactly 400

I still have a few weeks left to exchange the G.Skill where I bought them. Test #5 has been running for over 7 hours and has completed 368 passes with 0 errors with the settings listed in my last post.

I am just concerned that the replacement G.Skills might have the same problem with my MB. I have seen incompatability problems between memory and a MB before, and I had to swap memory between my computer and my wife's. Everyone, including G.Skill, says that this memory and MB are compatable, though, so we shall see what happens.

I will post an update when I get the new G.Skills.

Thanks for all your time and effort. I didn't think I was doing anything wrong, but wasn't familiar with all the new settings - my last build was an Intel P4 about 4 years ago.

Thanks,

Ira

I'd suggest you get some active cooling I use Corsair ram cooler TipidPC.com | Corsairô Dominator Airflow (Ram Cooler) it's great , using larger fans can leave faed spots , at the centre of the fan so all memory cjhips aren't cooled evenly. If your errors are arising after testing for a long period it may well be heat that's the cause. Otherwise I'd agree with Lsdmeasap advise on timings.

luck:)
    Gigabyte X48T DQ6, E8400, 2GB CellShock DDR3 PC3-15000 1866MHz, 8800 GTS, 4x80Gb Matrix Raid + 2x 500gb , Lian V2000+, wter cooling

I'll consider it, since it looks a bit less kludged than the fan I have taped on top of my passive GPU heatsink. However, with the fan I have now I am pretty sure my NB is getting some of the airflow and perhaps my GPU passive heatsink as well. I don't believe I have a heat issue, though, since I would expect to have seen some improvement when I added the fan a few nights ago, and I did not. It had occurred to me that the 2GB modules could dissipate about twice as much power as the 1GB modules and get significantly hotter under the same conditions. This isnít the first time I added a fan to cool down my RAM. The heat spreader on the modules should help even out the uneven cooling provided by my fan.

Test #2 has been running for about 6 hours and completed over 1,500 passes with 0 errors. I am glad it doesnít appear to be a MB issue.
    Thanks,
    Ira
    Attached Images Attached Images Gigabyte GA-X48-DQ6 not running G.Skill PC2 8500 at rated timings-dsc06074-jpg 
    Last edited by Ira; 06-16-2008 at 08:53 AM.

YA, I would have to say it may just be the sticks you got sent (G.Skills) were bad to begin with. I see MANY OCZ issues and ZERO G.Skill compatibility issues so I can say with pretty much 99.9% certainty that it is not a compatibility issue with G.Skills

You may need 2.1 fully to run 1066 though, but probably not. Most sticks run fine under their rated spec but they higher speeds ones are already overclocking so it just varies from sticks to sticks

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information