Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GA-P35-DS3R -- Need RAM Recommendation

Lightbulb GA-P35-DS3R -- Need RAM Recommendation

Greetings, all.

Lsdmeasap, I notice you're very active in this forum and am hoping you have some good input...I didn't notice any of your posts addressing a couple of these questions, so bear with me if I've missed something.

I have a recent system build featuring the following main components:
    Intel Q6600 (g0 stepping)
    Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R MB rev 2.0
    Thermaltake Armor Full-tower case (2x120mm intake, 1x120mm exhaust, 3x80mm exhaust)
    OCZ Active Ram fans
    etc etc

The original build featured 4x1GB Crucial Ballistix 1066 RAM. As like many others, I'm having nothing but problems with this stuff...I've searched all over for the right settings, but STILL am plagued with odd crashes/BSODS/etc. Every time fiddling with the RAM (taking out 2 sticks, playing with timings) seems to settle the immediate problem, but after spans of trouble-free operation they always seem to "go south" again.

Basically, I'd like to get 4GB of RAM back in this rig.

So, Lsdmeasap, I notice you recommend GSkill RAM...any other brands?

Also, for 4GB, would you recommend 2x2GB or 4x1?

Any reason to require 1066 RAM? Would I notice bumping back down to 1066?

Cheers, and thanks for any pointers!

Default Re: GA-P35-DS3R -- Need RAM Recommendation

LSD Like G-Skill And Mushkin esp. 2x2G is better than 4x1G for stability and speed.
    Take care,
    Rick
    GA EP35 DS3P w/ E6400 @ 3.2 Ghz, 2 x 2Gb G-Skill PC8000, XFX 9600GT, Corsair TX 650W

Thanks, HemiRick! I've been looking around, and Newegg has some 2x2GB Mushkin 800spd ram for ~ $90.00 that'll be making its way to me soon. Cheers!

Planning on getting this RAM in a few hours, anyone care to give a yea/nay on this stuff?

Newegg.com - mushkin 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

mushkin 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory
    Model #:996587

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Yes, I would suggest Mushkins as well, that is my brand of choice, those are good sticks you picked out. These are as well for a little more #996580 >>
    Newegg.com - mushkin 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

2x2 is a little better on the NB 4x1 is a little harder on the NB but will overclock slightly better depending on the sticks you choose and models. But what you linked is a good choice.

As for 800-1066 there is little noticeable difference aside from benchmarks. And as you may or may not know 1066 ram is just 800 ram with looser timings tested to run stable at 1066. So as long as you get a decent set most 8000 ram will do 900-1000 anyway with looser timings.

If you have not decided yet still and have extra cash I would get the redlines for 127, or the set I linked above above. Another great thing about mushkins is their support forum where greg will happily get you overclock settings and will help you with any other issues you have very quickly >>>
    Mushkin Support Forums • Index page

Thanks for all your input and information! It's much appreciated.

I actually went with another mushkin set:
    Newegg.com - mushkin 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

That decision was basically due to you recommending Mushkin and some postings I found 'round the net of people using those successfully with this exact MB (some at the Mushkin forums). Not planning on OC'ing at this time, but I did want the theoretical headroom of 1066 if I decided to do so.

I'm actually kind of sheepish about starting this thread, all my questions you've already answered elsewhere :) Don't know why I overlooked some of it. Anyway, cheers!

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Good choice, the black is always better then Blue. Those will run very nicely at 800 as well.

Those are what I got for a P35C-DS3R. They run stable at 1066 (27 hours in Orthos), settings I used are in this post:

http://forums.tweaktown.com/252969-post254.html

Thanks, blargh23! They arrive today, and those will be the first settings I try (with a less aggressive OC, anyway). Much appreciated!

I'm posting this as a follow-up and wrap-up to this thread.

Summary: GA-P35-DS3R 2.1 motherboard + 4x1 Crucial Ballistix PC8500 RAM was unstable and very 'flaky'...blue screens/lockups abounded. It would work fine for days @ 1066, then refuse to run at that speed (cooling should not have been a problem with full tower case + active ram cooling). Tried tweaking every setting possible.

Conclusion: Bought the Mushkin memory mentioned above, used blargh23's settings. Memtest for two full nights (20+ hours). Been running Ortho instances when I'm actually using the system, and throw in a 'memory benchmark' every once in a while in an attempt to stress the memory while my return policy is still good with newegg. 100% stable (so far, of course).

Hope this helps someone else. Cheers, and thanks once again to everyone who assisted.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information