Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: I'm afraid @Bios toasted my bios

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: I'm afraid @Bios toasted my bios

Please refrain from using that attitude here. We are here to offer help and support when we can. If you need some help feel free to make a thread and ask and I will try to help you

If you need a RMA (Return Merchandise Authorization) To return your board let me know and I will post a link for you

This has just happened to me with the latest version of @BIOS on my Gigabyte MA78GM-S2H board. After flashing the atBIOS utility repeatedly displayed an error: "alloc kernel memory failure", along with some others.

I'm posting here for anyone else who might be in the same situation.

I killed @BIOS, fired it up again and used it to copy the newly-broken bios to disc. I used notepad to compare it to the BIOS file I downloaded (not ideal, but was the best I could do at the time). The backup of the broken BIOS image was significantly different to either the old BIOS backup or the new BIOS I had downloaded from their website. So I assumed it was probably not going to survive a reboot.

Fortunately, I found the CD that came with the motherboard, which had an older version of @BIOS on it (1.22), that worked perfectly. I had to stop it from automatically updating itself when it started (close the popup that asks you to with the X in the top right corner), then flash as normal. Worked perfectly, and I backed up the newly-flashed BIOS to compare in notepad again, it did indeed appear to be the same as the downloaded copy, so I was pretty confident.

Rebooted (while clenching!), and it worked. Yay ;)

So if you're reading this because @BIOS has just broken your motherboard, assuming you haven't rebooted, go dig out your original CDs! Good luck!

I've stuck a copy at some horrible file storage service: Gigabyte @BIOS v1.22 (if anyone knows of a better place to put it, please shout).

If you're thinking about using @BIOS, don't. Go find yourself a floppy or a USB stick and use QFlash. @BIOS is horribly broken, don't use it!
    Last edited by g0dders; 07-11-2008 at 11:10 AM. Reason: Added a download link, thanks Lsdmeasap

Nice find, you should post that version here for others just incase someone needs it

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    Nice find, you should post that version here for others just incase someone needs it
    Thanks. Good suggestion, I've included a link in my previous post.

It appears that I've just ruined my 4-months old P35-S3G using @BIOS. I downloaded & installed the newest @BIOS, and directed @BIOS to my desktop where I had extracted the newest F4 file. But I got the same errors that g0dders describes above. Upon reboot, all I get is the Award BootBlock BIOS utility, "Scanning BIOS Image in Hard Drive ...", but nothing happens. So I disconnected the power, cleared the CMOS, disconnected all drives except floppy, and inserted a bootable floppy with the extracted F4 files. But again upon reboot, all I get is the same BootBlock screen, and it won't detect any drive. The BIOS chip is not removeable on this mobo.

I'm glad I found this thread. I hope I can get the same satisfaction from Newegg that somapopper received. I'll let you know how it comes out. Thanks to all. I've never had a single issue using DOS to flash any previous mobos. If I had known about the faulty @BIOS software, I would have had this task completed two hours ago. I feel like I've been wrongly instructed by the manufacturer. Otherwise, it's been a fantastic board.

Sorry to hear, ya I think they should remove the application from the Install CD's FOR SURE

Ya, newegg will get ya fixed right up. Next time Qflash or Dos Only!!

Weird, @Bios worked perfectly fine for me twice! So next time i'll have to use Qflash because i don't feel lucky for a third time considering it fails for everyone else.

Right!!!

I have used if before myself, but will not unless I HAVE TO. Which I make effort to be sure never happens

I spoke with Newegg and they gave me the phone number for Gigabyte Customer Service (626-854-9338). If someone has a toll free phone number for Gigabyte I could sure use it. And if you have a link to request a Gigabyte RMA, I could use that as well, please. Thanks. I have already sent an email via their GTS Global Technical Service, and am awaiting a reply.

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    If you need a RMA (Return Merchandise Authorization) To return your board let me know and I will post a link for you
    edit:
    GTS replied ... suggested removing the battery, and if same result (yes), concluded that the BIOS was corrupted, and should request a Gigabyte RMA from http://rma.gigabyte-usa.com
    Last edited by jfk&g; 08-03-2008 at 04:42 AM.
    Gigabyte P35-S3G . 50mm Fan on MCH +0.2v
    Intel E6500 (9 x 420) 3780mHz 1.33125v
    G.Skill 4x1GB
    PC2-6400-NQ
    840mHz +0.2v
    Gigabyte HD4850 . Acer X223W . Acer X193W+
    Rosewill
    RP500-2 . WD WD3200AAJS . Masscool 8WA741

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread Information