Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm afraid @Bios toasted my bios

Default I'm afraid @Bios toasted my bios

Just put together a new build with an E7200, 2 1 gig modules of gskill DDR2 800, and a P311-S3G I tweaked around with the bios settings and then found my cpu multiplier seemed stuck at 6. I made the hasty decision to upgrade the bios. Lacking a floppy or a flash drive, and clearly being a moron, I went with @bios. after @Bios seemed to complete updating the bios, it gave me several memory errors ("translate memory failure," "free kernel memory failure," and ""alloc kernel memory failure" I believe). The errors come up one after another and repeat in a loop. Have to kill @bios from the task manager to stop it. I tried the @bios program a couple more times, hoping it was the bios revision that was the problem. I get the same results every time I run it. What I haven't done yet is shut off my computer. If there's some way to fix what I assume is going to be a corrupted bios before I have a dead MB on my hands, I'd certainly like to know it. Thanks.

GiggaByte is offline Member

Default Re: I'm afraid @Bios toasted my bios

Do you have Vista, and are you using the latest @Bios v2.0?

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

You can/should since you do not have a floppy or flash drive download the actual file for your board here, then tell @bios (Hate to say that even) to use the file you downloaded and extracted to your desktop to flash with.

I would suggest you download F5 (Extract it to your desktop and the file ending with F5 is what you want to tell @bios to use to flash with (Choose update new BIOS and browse to the file)>>>>

GIGABYTE - Support - Motherboard - BIOS - GA-P31-S3G (rev. 1.0)

Otherwise you will likely have to RMA because even if you get a floppy or USB now once you turn the computer off it will be dead likely

Your multi was stuck at six so it seemed likely because you had EIST, C1E enabled (Speedstep) Just so you know next time those must be disabled or your CPU will be run at low multi and voltages at Idle and only use the max multi when fully under load

If you still get no where all you can do is go buy a floopy or borrow a floopy drive and try a blind flash... Otherwise if your BIOS fails to recover which is likely you will have to RMA

Do some spyware/antivirus runs, kill any unnessary processes. It seems like something is preventing @bios from running properly. This is the reason why GIGABYTE really should make ALL their board have dual bios like the DS4, the worrys of corruption is out the window.

Quote Originally Posted by GiggaByte View Post
    This is the reason why GIGABYTE really should make ALL their board have dual bios like the DS4, the worrys of corruption is out the window.
    That is a huge misunderstanding or some other word . Tons of RMA's due to bad flash, corruption still affect DS4 and DQ6.

But yeah, they do need to improve it for sure, and stop suggesting @BIOS to users, only asks for dead boards.

They need to use DUAL removable chips, that way they could save a TON of cash in RMA's by just sending out new chips instead of boards

Just helped a user here last night which @BIOS gave him a Hugely wrong file, twice! F13beta it kept giving him when the latest for his board was F5!!!

Here is how you would try to Blind Flash if you can get a floopy >>>
    Award 6.0 BIOS - BootBlock Recovery

If you cannot ever get @BIOS to properly load a proper BIOS for your board (DO try it manually as I said above by downloading the proper file yourself) and you end up giving up and rebooting, you may get the BIOS to recover itself from your disk, maybe keep trying to turn it on and off and see. If not and you cannot get a floppy to try the above you will have to RMA

Once my bios got corrupted when I was updating from a floppy, the floppy was damaged it anything put on it was corrupt which I didn't know at the time. When I booted it did lots of beeps and said "bios corrupted starting recovery from backup bios" or something similar and it was fine after that. Was over 4 months ago though.

Thanks for all the help.

Yeah, I just can't seem to get @bios working without the errors.

I am curious about if the board will be dead or not when I restart it, but it sounds like I'm very likely screwed, so I don't think I'll shut the computer off till the replacement board gets here.

Those errors sounded kinda like ram errors to me. Would removing a stick of ram with the computer still on then trying to run @bios make any sense? And more generally, could anyone explain to me what those error messages mean?

Yes, it most likely will for sure

That is why I suggest you try to manually let the @BIOS install the F5 BIOS I linked

No, removing ram while your board is on will fry it, and the ram likely.

Hold on a few And I will get you the files necessary to flash it yourself, in windows without @BIOS

You can try this package I put together for you, it has a read me on how to use it and includes F5 BIOS for your board>>>
    flashv73.zip

If you get a error leave your PC on.

So what happened when you tried to update with @BIOS manuall with the BIOS file I sent you to download? If you were not sure what or how to do that let me know and I will post some images for you

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information