Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Very slow RAID detect during POST

Default Very slow RAID detect during POST

Hi. I have the GA-EP35-DS3R, and I've run into a weird problem. When setting up the ICH9 in RAID mode, it takes about 2 minutes to detect the two HD's that I use for RAID. The 3rd HD is detected instantly. If I use the GA controller it's much faster, but I had some problems with that and want to use ICH9. After it finally detects them everything works normally. If I use the disks as non-RAID they're detected instantly.

Another problem, probably not related, is that if I use the GA controller in IDE mode, my DVD-ROM is extremely slow when installing windows. If I set it to RAID/IDE mode it's fast. My DVD-ROM is good old 40-pin IDE, not SATA (what were they thinking when they placed that IDE port anyway?).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: Very slow RAID detect during POST

Do you have AHCI enabled? If so that could be why, it's why I DON'T use AHCI

As for the GA workign better for you that way, I would say leave it like that then I suppose.

I have mine set for Raid/IDE as well and I can install vista/xp off my IDE drives very quickly, as for the Setting IDE I cannot say whether my board is slow IDE cd drives like that or not because I use the GA for my OS raid so I have always had it on RAID/IDE anyway.

Thank you for your reply.

I have tried all settings imagenable in BIOS, nothing helps. I'm currently using Killdisk to totally erase all data on both drives, as I suspect there may have been som corruption on them after a botched OC attempt (not all E8400s can do 3.6Ghz on stock voltage... I've tried two, and needed above 1.3v on both just to get into Windows ). If that doesn't help, I'll use the GA controller.

Smack

Well I find the GA controller faster, but that is in RAID 0, not sure how it will perform in a non raid setup. But if you meant for RAID, it is faster at least it is with the disks I use

I use the GA for raid, and install from IDE cd/dvd drives and have no issues, can install vista in about 12 minutes. Have you tried using a different IDE cable/ribbon? They do sometimes somehow go bad. Also, have you checked to be sure the jumper and cables and set in the proper order for your IDE? If not that often times slows things down or makes them unusable

I'm starting to think there's something wrong with the board. I'm getting all kind of weird things:

-Slow RAID detect
    -Slow DVD-ROM in IDE only mode
    -One time I had constant rebooting after post
    -Another time my MBR got corrupted
    -DVD-ROM suddenly not reading specific disks that are red by my other DVD-ROM
    -Vista installtion taking about 5 minutes to get to the initial setup screen, after that it goes at normal speed
    -Partitions randomly showing up as write-protected in Windows

...and other stuff. Been struggling with this for a week now. Guess I have to RMA...

MBR corruption sounds like you have some settings wrong in the BIOS. What ram/cpu are you using, and what settings?

Just a template I use to ask people there settings, pay no attention to the numbers in it, replace with yours

Robust Graphics Booster___________ [Auto]
    CPU Clock Ratio ____________ [8]
    CPU Host Clock Control_ [Enabled]
    CPU Host Frequency (MHz)__________ [450]
    PCI Express Frequency (Mhz)_______ [102]
    C.I.A. 2__________________________ [Disabled]
    System Memory Multiplier (SPD)____ [2.00]
    DRAM Timing Selectable_______ SPD __ [Manual]
    Performance Enhance = [Standard]

CAS Latency Time________________ ?
    Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay_________ ?
    Dram RAS# Precharge Delay_______?