Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Ultra DMA/ATA question

Default Ultra DMA/ATA question

I ran HD Tune and discovered my hard drive is active with UDMA Mode 5 (Ultra ATA/100) while it supports UDMA Mode 6 (Ultra ATA/133) So how come my hard drive isn't active with UDMA Mode 6 (Ultra ATA/133)?

MB: EX38-DS4
    Hard Drive: Hitachi 320 GB SATA 2
    OS installed with Native IDE mode, no ACHI

Would installing with ACHI have made a difference?

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: Ultra DMA/ATA question

Because it is a SATA drive, faster then UDMA6. As you can see in the table at the bottom of this WIKI page UDMA 6 is SATA I, which you wouldnt want anyway >>>
    AT Attachment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I think UDMA 6 is only for IDE 133 disks and cables, no SATA device will show UDMA 6 it would either be 7 or 8. Here is a shot of my storage drive and you can see it is shown as UDMA 5 as well, and in the bottom left you can see how it is running way faster then UDMA 5.

These type of programs, and others just read the active transfer mode as UDMA 5 instead of (what should technically be) UDMA 8 (UDMA 7 being the SATA1 spec of 150MB/s and UDMA 8 being the SATA2 spec of 300MB/s). This is perfectly normal, DMA 7 or 8 would be enabled respectively just HD tune does not pick it up properly

Many (especially older) chipsets don't report the UDMA mode properly for SATA drives.

There are only two speeds that SATA can possibly run at, that's 1.5Gb/sec and 3.0Gb/sec. Even though your chipset might report UDMA5, the drive is definitely running at 1.5Gb/sec or 3Gb/sec...... There is no other speed option.

The mobo reporting UDMA5 is an error according to Scott Mueller's book. Upgrading and Repairing PC'sa [17th edition] Quote is from the book. Hope that this does not violate copyright laws.

"Note that because SATA is designed to be backward-compatible with parallel ATA, some confusion can result because SATA drives can report speeds and modes that emulate parallel ATA settings for backwards compatibility. This means the drive is merely lying for backwards compatibility with existing software."

"UDMA 5 is is ATA 100 [parallel ATA mode at 100 MBps] while the slowest Serial mode [1.5 GBps] is 150 MBps and Ultra DMA modes simply do not apply to Serial ATA drives."

"The Serial ATA spec actually requires that the reply to the IDENTIFY DEVICE command are to be set as indicated in ATA/ATAPI 5."
    Just be sure that if your Drive shipped with a jumper on it that you REMOVE that jumper it is their to limit speeds to SATA I. Some disks ship with one on them, and others do not

Hope this helps to put your mind at ease, Installing AHCI would be a little bit faster in theory, but slows down boot time and would only be a few points faster in a benchmark only not in real world usage. I'll put the answer to you like this, I dont use AHCI becuase I HATED the slow boot and found it to be no faster really.

If your drive supports AHCI, the best feature NCQ (which your drive would then also have to support) would be enabled with or without AHCI because you are using Vista.

So you are getting the most out of your disk, do not worry

Thanks, and you have put my mind at ease.

I know my hard drive is operating at SATA2 3.0Gb/sec because I used the Hitachi Feature Tool to check it.

Are you at all concerned about the slow access time reported by HD Tach?

By the way, I tried to use HD Tach but it said XP was needed and would not operate in my Vista. Don't you have Vista?

No, many softwares report various things wrong or differently. Thing is that not all software is compatible with all chipsets/motherboards/hardware so often things get reported wrong, not at all, or very funky

Yeah, I have HD Tach RW V. 3.0.1.0 it is a paid software maybe that is why you cant use it in vista, you have to pay? I dunno for sure, that or maybe it is only the RW version that works in vista?

A Bench I just ran on my RAID, I can see by those average read times I need a defrag thanks for asking>>>>

Although, I did just install The normal HD Tach and it works in vista, but you need to go into the programs folder or start menu shortcut, right click and select properties and choose compatibility mode set for XP SP2. So it does work in vista, you just have to make it >>>

Link if you need for newest HD Tach Freeware >>
    HdTach

Thanks again, it was the XP compatibility mode that made it work.

Two questions:

1. What was it in the Read times that made you aware defragging was necessary?

2. When you run HD Tach, or HD Tune, do you disable Internet, swap file, anti-virus software, and task bar items?

Ohh just cause I knew they were way lower then if my disk was good n defragged.

Nope, I dont disable anything, why did someone tell you to disable all that?

I saw that in the readme for HD Tach:

SECTION 3 HOW DO I RECORD GOOD BENCHMARKS?

Before benchmarking, reboot your computer. This will clear system caches and unload many unneccesary programs. Upon booting quit all programs that may have been loaded during the boot process, task bar icons, disable virus scanners. Advanced users should unplug the network cable and disable the swap file.

Ahh never seen that, So no I have never done all that. I do shut down most apps though, but that is bout the most of it that I do first

Thread Information